How Much Do You Spend On A Desktop/Laptop

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by dreyz • Aug 1, 2012.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I spent around 500 USD on my eMachines desktop in 2011 and it still runs fast and without other errors. Therefore, I think I got an excellent deal. However, I don't think computers are immortal, even if well taken care of. What might cause it to finally die of old age? I'd be shocked if this thing was running perfectly in 10 or even 20 or more years from now.

Oh, by the way, I am willing to spend way more than 500 for a 2nd computer, one that is specifically for gaming, because I want to get more into 3D art creation.

#21Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    My most recent computer is almost 2 years old. By the time I bought it, I spent $750/$800 (I didn't remember the exact amount right now). It was a great investment because I never had any kind of problem with it.

I'm very satisfied. :)

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I window shop and looked first all year through to see what I wanted and how much it costs. I wait till I get what I want on sale. I join ebates.com to get discounts and money back for shopping using their sites. I wait and watch all the time till I find what I want and get what I want with all those perks. It was worth it-got my laptop I wanted & got cash back for shopping & saved money too! :)

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have concrete plans of buying a new desktop to replace my 7-year old PC. My initial budget is $500 but I am still procrastinating for so many months because the cost of my desired computer setup is around $800 (and probably would reach $1,000 before the end of the year). To be honest, I am on the lookout for a bargain sale that my credit card usually holds for summer (June in this country) and I’m hoping that my budget of $500 will suffice for a new model.

5. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    My budget is always 400$ to 500$. I never go above this budget. I try to make sure that I am getting my money worth in this case. I have my share of issues there. But I make sure that desktop is not costly. In such case I try to stick with the laptop. And found that some laptops these days are lot cheaper for better configuration.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    After using my laptop for 9 years, which was bought for $480, I recently bought a new laptop. The HP note book with i5 processor cost me $550. I was thinking to get HP Specter with i7 processor, however, I had to settle with this laptop because I did not have budget for HP specter. IN rhe local market this laptop costs $1190.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    $300 is the most that I spent on a brand new PC, it's already built and every part is brand new, so it's way cheaper than buying a branded PC.

#27Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    There are many factors that determine the price of a laptop/desktop. Therefore the price is not fixed. The cost of any computer depends on the location and the type of the machine. Some places sell computers at a relatively cheaper price than others. And also some computer models are more expensive than other models.

9. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I currently have a rather old PC. I want to get a new gaming PC for playing new games on 1080p resolution, since the old one is not up to the task. I'm currently looking to get a Geforce 1050ti or Geforce 1060 3 GB, 4 GB of DDR4 RAM and either a Ryzen or an Intel Coffee Lake CPU. Not sure if I'm going to buy a 4 core or a 6 core CPU, but assuming I buy the latter it's going to end up costing me anywhere from 600 - 700 $.

10. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I have a limit of $500~$500 for the tower and then I add my own video card and memory and hard drives. And the total PC ends up costing $800~$900 and it's more than enough for my needs. I really don't have the money to spend $1,400+ on a high-end PC.

P.S. back when I use to have money the most I ever spent on a PC was $2,800. And the sad part is it was an outdated PC in 3 years time. And even if I still had that kind of money I sure wouldn't spend it on a PC that is going to be outdated in 3 years.

11. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    @Soulwatcher@Soulwatcher Let me guess, that was in mid-to-late 90s/early 2000s ? That was when tech was still advancing at a crazy rate. It was kind of exciting to see the advancements that came with each new generation of cpus/graphics cards. But even the most expensive hardware got outdated pretty quickly.

Anyway, I would say that a 800 - 900 $ PC is more then enough these days for 1080p gaming and normal usage.

#31Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Thre is no average price, you can buy a good desktop at second hand and you will save some money, but if you are not interested in this....I bought my new PC for 600 dollars only for the unit, I had the rest.
    It depends on you, what exactly you want and the higher or lower performance you need!