How much do you spend on Christmas presents?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by orz • Nov 2, 2013.

1. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    In terms of gifts for those who you may not be super close to (Distant relatives, cousins, old friends etc.) how much do you guys find yourself spending on them? I always feel out of place because I'm not sure what kind of value they'll get me and of course I don't want to under or over spend!

I'm not super rich so I usually allocate around $20-$30 for small gifts for those people I'm not super close with and more for others I know better since we have a bit of a more organized gift giving program going.

2. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    Seldom do I send gifts to my relatives. But I do wish them a merry Christmas and I shower them with kisses and hugs. Corny as it may sound but I do that to make Christmas a whole lot better. Remember that sometimes, the simplest of things can leave a more lasting impression. Merry Christmas mate! :)

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Way too much! With just my kids alone at 5 gifts a piece for two kids it was 200 bucks. I still have my mother, little sisters and husband.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I usually cross the border and go to the outlets to do Christmas shopping. You can find some amazing deals and have each item worth $7 - $10 for great quality brands (I found hollister jeans for just $6 once, not at the outlets though). So, with that being said, I usually spend around $7 - $10 per person who I'm not that close with. I spend a lot on my brother but hundreds on my boyfriend. I buy my brother things all the time, whereas I can only buy my boyfriend gifts on special occasions.

5. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I am a partial spender and I don’t always spend on Christmas gifts anyway. I detest the concept of spending more than $50 on gifts only that’s worth a week’s salary and to me it too much to spend on a single day. However sometimes am a bit costly and I end up spending $60 on the Christmas day just like last year where I used $40 to buy my mom a dress gift and $ 20 to my buy my siblings snacks and some Christmas clothes.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only really buy for my mother and it's never the same amount. She's a shopoholic, so I NEVER know what to buy her. She's definitely one that has everything, since she'll buy something the minute she thinks of it. I have to get uber creative and sometimes uber creative can be really expensive.. and the next year, next to nothing.

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I usually spend probably about $80 on Christmas presents. I only buy presents for both my mother and father, which my father sometimes don't want any present. It's very hard to buy presents for parents because my parents are very picky about things. I think the highest amount I have spent on Christmas presents is $90.

8. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy gifts for my husband and son. Some years, I have bought gifts for my mom and mother-in-law, but I don't spend more than $20. Instead in our family, we do white elephant gifts or homemade-no money spent. I think that works out great.

9. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    We have a really big family with a lot of kids so we will spend probably between 100 and 200€ what for us it's a big amount of money to spend on gifts. But it's a special time of the year for the kids so, it's a must spend, no way around it. :)

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My style to avoid over or underspending is that I'll only give gifts to the people that gave me a gift, so that I'll know what is the decent price range of gift to give them. I don't really care if the gift would be late for Christmas, because I believe that it's better late than never.

11. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    That was what I did last year on Christmas week. I would buy presents for ones who actually bought me presents on Christmas Day because they were the ones who remembered me as a friend. I haven't bought so many presents for a long time because I usually tried to avoid such the tradition. Last Christmas was different, which I received more presents than I expected.

12. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    I don't really look at it as how much or little I spend. I just ask people what they'd like and go from there. But I do however try to find the best deal possible for whatever it is they ask me for. So I try to get people what they want while at the same time be reasonable about how much I spend on whatever the potential gift is.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I spend an average of £50 on everyone. I don't have children so that explains the low budget. Parents are usually £30 between them and then £20 on friends. I usually have about £125-£250 spent on me.