How Much Do You Spend On Entertainment Each Month?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Feb 23, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a set amount of money [to spend] or do you allocate a percentage of your earnings to entertainment? I've heard it said that "treating yourself" can motivate you to save money and I suppose setting aside some "fun" money each month might be good for you in the long run because if it motivates you to save . . .

What percentage of your income do you spend on entertainment/fun?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't allocate a set amount for entertainment purposes. I have to see what is available after I have taken care of the essential stuff. I will try. however, to ensure there is something left over for that purpose.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't feel the need to allocate money each month to be spent on entertainment, because I get to download all the movies that I want for free. Besides, when I have extra money, they get spent on "luxury food", like ice cream, soda's, etc. so no entertainment budget for me.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our most expensive entertainment is going on a vacation. Just last week, we were in a beach resort together with my sister and her family,. For a group of 6, the accommodation costs us $500 already for 2 nights and 2 rooms. Add to that the food and other expenses, it may have reached $1,000 in all. It is a good thing that my husband has the movie card which allows free movies for 2 so that includes me. The movie card is valid in any theater and any movie courtesy of the censors board.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I had a friend who did that every month and they would go do something like go to the pool, or buy a new item of clothing with what they set aside. It was only like $20.00 and it didn't mean they didn't do other things but that was something specific they did each month and I always thought it was a good idea. I give myself an allowance, keep it out of site and don't use it for essential things like food that are a part of the budget. Then after a few months if I have anything left I use it for something special, but not every month and sometimes I have to end up using it for emergency money. This is why I prefer change jars because its harder to dip into them if the bottle is sealed.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As the amount we spend on entertainment is virtually zero and on the few occasions that we do - the amount is small enough to easily be covered by the excess leftover in the monthly budget after paying all the priorities - we've never found it necessary to allocate a percentage of our income - specifically for entertainment.

That however doesn't mean that we don't have fun - because we do - its just that as the majority of what we regard as entertainment costs next to nothing or is more often than not totally free - we don't need to spend money in order to have fun.

Oh and I would just add - that - as everyone has different ideas as to what constitutes fun - I do agree that its important to allow or at least allocate a little money to be spent on doing things that are fun if need be - especially as - what's the point in earning money if you don't get to enjoy it from time to time.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    1. I try to set money aside for some type of entertainment each month which is usually a with a friend. I have plan to travel more this year which will need to be budgeted.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We only go to places like the movies, one or another concert per year, maybe a cool bar or pub.... we don't spend a lot on entertainment per say. Now, if travelling and dining out are considered entertainment we do spend quite a lot on those.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from the Internet (which is also my source of additional income, by the way), I don't spend much on entertainment. In fact, the most I can dish out would be around $20 for each month. I try not to exceed beyond that. Food, transportation and my insurance bill already take up a lot of space in my budget plan.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't spend a lot of money on avenues of entertainment either. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I don't spend any money on entertainment at all. Most of the entertainment that I get is from a television source, like tv shows and movies, and whatnot. But I don't pay for any services. I have an internet connection, and I find free downloads.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much what is left over after everything else has been allocated. generally that means £40-60 per month.

Although sometimes if I gamble some of it and win it can be a lot more.