How Much Do You Spend On Kids Entertainment?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • Sep 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most parents spend a lot of money to keep their children entertained. They take them to fancy fairs, theme parks and other expensive places. A neighbor of mine [when I lived in some city] always took his kid and her best friend [neighbor's daughter] out every Sunday and would buy them lots of gifts. He was rather rich so it didn't look like much to him.

But for everyone else who wants to save cash, how much is too much? $20? $5? $1?

How much do you spend for their entertainment and for those who don't have kids [yet] how much do you think should be spent?

2. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    My child gets a dollar for every mark she gets on her chore chart which means she can get 5 dollars a week. If she wants entertainment she can use her money, or she can se it on other things like school activities. I would love to spend a lot on my children but I'm not rich and kids come with a lot of other expenses as well. So this is just the system that works out best for us.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to indulge my nephew every so often, and am happy to spend $10-$20 for his entertainment, such as trips to the zoo, jumping castles and other activities that fascinate him. But that only happens every couple of weeks or so, when I have enough time.
    I have friends who can't deny their children anything. All they have to do is point at something, and my friends are already pulling out their wallet. I don't think it's the best way.

4. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    My husband and I don't buy our kids things every weekend, or even pay for entertainment every weekend. Instead we try to spend the money either on things that will keep their interest and get a lot of use or passes we can use all year. Zoo and museum family passes are usually pay for themselves if you go at least 3 times in one year, I like to view each trip after that as free. This year I was injured in the summer, but other years I have taken my children at least 6 times in the summer to both, and then sporadically on weekends throughout the year, and of course to holiday celebrations. We more than get our money's worth. Other things we have done is buy a nice inflatable pool for the summer (only $40 at Target with an electric pump). The kids used it this summer at least 20 times, probably more, again being injured I didn't get it set up as often as I would have liked. But even with 20 uses, that's $2 per use and it is still in perfect shape to use next summer. I've purchased cheap watercolors and made my own liquid water color paint by adding water to them in water bottles, it lasts a lot longer and makes great art work. These types of purchases mean I am spending money for experiences rather than objects (though they get those too, but in moderation). We only go to movies in theater occasionally, usually I'd rather save that amount and then buy the DVD.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it's bad to give the kids so much entertainment that they grow up spoiled and unimaginative. They should be bored sometimes, that makes them more creative. On the other side, I don't think that taking kids in cool places is spoiling them -- it creates memories, that's cool.

I wish I had kids to be able to really answer this question.

6. Marcosy

MarcosyNew Member

Threads:
    I send my kids best of my solvency.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't spend money on my children's entertainment! I just took them to the park, different parks, different beaches, and usually this is for the entire family. If we are at home, then we will find something in the garden to do for fun, and play sports.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is usually better to take care of them and do nothing more than that. I do believe that there is really no need to pay for the kids. It is a great waste.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have a set budget but we just play it by feel. If we have already spent a lot on their entertainment then we'd have to pause the spending and eventually we will allow them to spend again. On a average I'd say around $20 at a time is a good measure and a bit here and there afterwards would also be acceptable and after that we just tell them to be patient again for a bit until they can spend again. I think it's a better system for us because having a set system might make them feel compelled to spend that budget.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Entertaining kids is spoiling them?? lol.. that's the first time I've heard of that. If anything, entertainment creates imagination just as much as boredom fosters the need for it. Boredom doesn't create imagination.. it's just another chance to use it. Our lives are full of that. We have it, regardless.
    Anything I can think of that entertains kids is actually pretty good for them on some level. I don't put a price tag on that and my children are not spoiled lol. In fact, they rarely ask for anything, it's me who ends up offering because they're never bored, really. You don't have to torture it out of them lol.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We always look for free entertainment in our home town. Now that it's winter we go to local outdoor rinks for family skates. They even have family skate days on weekend at the indoor rink where it's free for families. In the summer we'll go check out different parks in our city. We love to go hiking so we will go to different trails and hike and then stop for a picnic or bbq. The beach is always a great trip in the summer. In our city the museums are free on certain days so in the summer we'll take advantage of that. There are local wading pools which are free too. Other great activities we like to do are in the summer kite flying, free movie nights, farmers markets, bike rides, toboganning, or watch a free NHL practise. When we do go to the movies we try and use gift certificates we've been given or buy them Costco.

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well the short answer is too much. That said, though, there are a lot of options out there where you can really save some money, and that is certainly some good news. I am not as good at finding them as I could be though, and I could use some work there. It all comes down to knowing what your children are interested in and going from there.

13. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I spend very little (almost zero) on my child's entertainment. The truth is, he is still very young, however, I have found that kids of all ages can be easily entertained for little to no money. Depending on the age, fun activities at home, such as blowing bubbles, dabbling in art, reading together, playing a game together, playing outside, cooking or baking together, having an ice cream sunday party, can easily be done for little to no extra money.

If getting out of the house is a necessity (as sometimes it can be), then there are a lot of free and inexpensive outings to do with kids. Parks, libraries and library programs, museums, zoos, beaches, taking a hike in the woods, going for a bike ride, are all things that can be done for little to no money. Many museums, movie theaters, zoos, and parks offer free or inexpensive kids programs at different points in the year.

Most kids just really want their parents and family members to spend time with them and pat attentire to them. Spending time with your kid and showering them with love and attention will make them feel a lot more special than simply taking them out to but something and then ignoring them the rest of the day. They are going to remember the time people shared with them, not all of the material things.