How Much Do You Tip Your Waiter / Housekeeper On Cruises?

Discussion in Travel started by joyful728 • Apr 10, 2015.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I was just curious how much you tip your waiter / housekeeper / whoever else on cruses?

I have only been on one cruise. If we are able to go on another cruise, I would like to tip our waiter above the rate that most people tip for I have heard they do NOT get paid much!!!

Thanks for any help guys!!!

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I went on a cruise last year and the gratuity was included in the price of the cruise. I read that you can tip above and beyond that, and I really liked our head waiter, he really went above and beyond, so I gave him $20 at the end of the cruise. I figured that was $5/day (it was a 4 day cruise). I have no idea if it is too much or too little, but it was something.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If anybody knows me, they'll know that I am not the biggest fan of tipping culture. I believe that if someone wants to tip, then they should. It's their money, and should be able to do whatever they please with it. Conversely, if people don't want to tip then they should not have to, as it is also their money to do whatever they want with.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    DreekLass, I agree with you and that is actually something that is a huge debate right now. I have always considered tips to be a gratuity, a way of giving extra things for a job well done. The better the service, the better the tip. I will say, I tipped my waiter extra on the cruise, but did not feel any pressure to do so, and for the rest of the people who receive tips on that cruise, I didn't give extra because I feel that they knew they were getting the basic amount already, so they gave the basic amount of service.