How Much Do You Trust Online Reviews?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by joshc428 • Oct 8, 2015.

1. janearnold

janearnoldNew Member

Threads:
    Customer reviews always helps us to find the good and bad things about the product. I always look for the reviews but some times some on-line sites post fake reviews to promote their business which is a bad thing. So I do not trust 100% on customer reviews.

2. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, because some reviews are not wholehearted and true. There are paid reviewers nowadays in any form of products not just those on online shops. Music and videos have paid reviewers also to make them go viral and gain popularity. When buying online, I check the history of the seller and read reviews that I think are legitimate and for real. Sometimes you can also check the seller not just by the reviews but with the post itself. If the products are posted at a low price just to have a lot of bidders, then I avoid this. But take this with a grain of salt since some legit sellers actually do this because they know the market will dictate the price, it would just be unfortunate if they have a few bidders.

3. rezonate

rezonateNew Member

Threads:
    It really all depends if your reading the reviews on a reputable source or not. I usually read my product reviews on cnet or tech crunch if I'm buying electronics or I simply go on YouTube and watch video reviews from consumers themselves who have tried out the product this way you actually know that they have actually purchased the product and tested it out for themselves. Be careful of fake reviews I know some reviewers are paid sometimes to write fake reviews for products.

4. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I usually take online ratings with a grain of salt. Also, another person's taste may be picker than mine, depending on the item. I used consumer reviews for many baby products that I researched while registering for my baby shower, and most of them were accurate in pointing me in the right direction for the items that were purchased. Also, when purchasing clothing online, the reviews are helpful to find out the quality of the item, as well as the fit, whether it is true to size or fits smaller or larger than average.

I also use traveler reviews on TripAdvisor while looking for accommodations for vacation. They are usually fairly accurate, and by reading them, you can get a sense for how picky the author of the review is, compared to your own taste.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I do try to get the most information possible from online reviews. However, I am aware that some reviews may be false; opinions may be influenced by incentives, or by having a grudge. I try to balance the information as best as possible. The goodwill of the entity I am purchasing from is also an important factor.

6. mett1982

mett1982New Member

Threads:
    When making a purchase online I really do try and trust what the reviewers are saying about the product. I read a lot of the reviews and try to make the best decision based on them. I know that some website will go out and hire people to give them great reviews. Which I see is being pretty dishonest. It does make it hard to trust what the reviews say about the product sometimes. In the end, I try to do as much research on the product as I can. Especially if it's a high ticketed item. I don't what to spend a lot of money only to be really disappoint in what I purchased. I read all the good reviews and I also take in account of the bad reviews. If I know someone that knows a lot about the product I want then I will also go to them for advice on which product is the best for my dollar. Essentially when buying items online, it's always a gamble. I try to do my research, make the best purchase and hopefully everything works out for the best!

7. FirmooS

FirmooSNew Member

Threads:
    There are many reviewers group where they write review to win the free sample. You should watch carefully if the sentences are made by robot.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the product and the website. I wouldn't trust reviews on the product's own website or brand, because those can very easily be fake. I also wouldn't trust many YouTube and blog reviews - people get paid to talk well about products all the time, and it pays quite well.
    But general review websites i do trust and use. For an example, if I want to see reviews on makeup, the best website to find them is Makeup Alley.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I was to receive a product as a free sample, and was reviewing it, I would give an honest review. I know that many of these people don't want to give bad reviews and risk not receiving more free samples, but you have to be honest. There are some video reviews that are praising of the free samples, but at the same time they will suggest things that could have been better. Those are the most tactful free sample reviews.

10. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It's hard for me to trust them. I've heard so many stories about how people are paid to write fake reviews, or companies will go online and make reviews for themselves making them sound great. A lot of times it's easy to tell which ones sound fake. But it's the one on apps I want to download that I have a tough time trusting. They can be so mixed that it leaves me really confused.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really trust reviews, because there is nothing to say that the person posting it has actually used the product, and is a genuine customer of the company. Also, now that I am a freelance writer, I see a lot of job listings that advertise review writing, and this is obviously an attempt to encourage people to buy something because they think it is more positively thought about than it really is. So yes, I would always want to be wary about trusting reviews, because you just don't really know where they have actually come from.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that one of the best ways to establish whether or not reviews are legitimate or not is if a pattern starts to emerge when you are reading more than one. All of those people having congruent experiences cannot all be wrong, and the chances of them being fake reviews is slim to none.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    More than anything else. I've got a good eye for spotting fake reviews (especially seeing as I wrote them once) so I generally do trust, so long as there are quite a few reviews.

14. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    My experience has been great with customer reviews. Most of the time I look at the Amazon reviews before I purchase an item. Some of the reviewers will point out issues they had with an item and how they resolved it, and some have listed the pros and cons of the product. When I buy the item, it was true to what was stated. Depending on what I am buying, I will compare other review sites.

15. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    Ultimately I trust online reviews, but I still take them with a grain of salt. If a person received a free product to review on Amazon, they are supposed to disclose that in their reviews. I typically look at the 3 stars first and see what the pros and cons of each item are and then decide if the risk is worth the potential reward.

I also look for reviews that have pictures of the product in use. I buy a lot of home décor and bedding and you can tell a lot from photos.

16. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Good points. I also remember reading some reviews where it may be only three posts and the review is, "GREAT!" I have seen these in music or book reviews. I get the impression the posts are just from buddies who want the book or music sales to be successful.

17. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I generally stick to products I have actually seen. Although it is not right to completely depend upon reviews to decide over buying a product, they can sometimes prevent you from buying a bad product. This is what I always love about a community. There is at least, One advantage of going through reviews. Just make sure that you go with it cent percent. it is always nice if someone helps you decide whether to buy something. But giving importance to the view count is always important, and it is also important to check if the reviewer has actually bought the product.Thank you.