How much does your appearance affect you?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by bridawn • Aug 28, 2012.

1. bridawn

bridawnNew Member

Threads:
    We all have our insecurities, but how much does your "trivial" beauty affect you? Can you leave The House without doing your makeup and/or your hair? Do you still feel confident when you walk out of gym covered in sweat? If a man or woman flirted with you while you were walking your dog in baggy clothes and messy hair, would you feel like flirting back or like running in the other direction?

There are ads everywhere for the latest beauty products that promise to make us look better... Why do we need to hear these promises in order to become more interested in the products? Why will we buy the more expensive stuff just because it "promises" to make us look ten years younger?

People used to walk around in rags with hairy bodies, and that was the norm. Physical appearance wasn't as important as simply surviving and thriving. Now, it seems like out outward appearance is far more important than almost anything in our lives. How do you all feel about this? Can you relate?

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This is a loaded post, haha! First of all, I would assert that physical appearance has always been important, even when we all had hairy bodies and rags. Physical attractiveness was useful for attracting a mate and also for asseting your position as leader because the alpha of any species is never the one who looks sick, weak, or incapable. Our present "obsession" with appearance is the modern permutation of that ancient desire to be desired and feel and appear relevant. In a modern economy, companies will capitalize on this.

That being said, I don't wear makeup because I like my face.I do feel attractive even when I'm covered in sweat. I don't run from flirtatious men unless they're creepy. I'm pretty secure in my skin, I guess.

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Of coarse beauty will affect our confidence and no matter how much we deny it, it will always be obvious. I would say that I am affected by the way I look. I would always look in the mirror or any glass where there are reflections that I pass through in the stores and even in the street. I always want to look good as this boosts my confidence to talk to people.

4. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I am amazed at how much it affects me actually. If my weight is up, I don't want to go to parties or even visit friends who I haven't seen in a while. My excess weight has kept me from taking my kids to the beach and other fun places where I'd have to dress in a bathing suit or do a lot of walking. It's sad really.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Its 21st Century! The natives far from the outskirts of our town actually feel the same way as far as I know. I once interviewed them and they actually make themselves presentable by painting something on their face and hanging some leaves from their ears.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only wear makeup for going to upscale places, not every day to run errands ,because I like my eyes and my skin and don't feel like I have anything to hide. Makeup isn't really good for a person's skin anyway.
    I don't get embarassed about wearing sweaty gym clothes but I hate it when men are overly aggressive or creepy in hitting on me so I walk away.

7. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I'm not going to lie. My physical appearance greatly affects me. I want to look good for myself to have confidence and to be able to interact with people. I live in a place where people judge you mainly for your appearance and I'm no hypocrite to say that I don't care about what they think because I really do.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Look is everything to me. Not to be misunderstood though, I do not use makeups since I'm allergic to most things. But I wouldn't leave the house without confirming how I look in the mirror. If contented that I'm smart, then it is time to stroll.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I hardly ever wear make up - I have good skin, and I don't feel I need it. I never leave the house unless I'm clean and tidy, so I wouldn't worry about meeting anyone. As for flirting, well, I was born flirting, so if there was a tasty guy around I'd go ahead and flirt, even if I was all hot and sweaty. I'd probably ask him if he wanted to give me a rub down!

10. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    My physical appearance is important to me. When I am pleased with how I look externally, I feel better about myself overall. What's funny is that I feel most attractive in my workout clothes after a good weight lifting session. I feel strong, capable, feminine, and beautiful. I very rarely use makeup because I prefer natural beauty, and honestly, I would rather devote my precious "me" time to other things. However, I do get in a slump sometimes because of my acne. I feel like people do not see me for who I am; all they see are the craters on my face. When my face looks relatively clear, I walk taller and smile a lot more often.

11. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I've always been a dressy/girly girl. My mom said I wanted to go play outside but I wouldn't want to take my nice dress off. This was at 5 years old. So I do like wearing makeup, it makes me feel dressed up and ready for the day. I'm not good at hair so I just straighten it. Do I feel like I have to wear makeup? No. Actually, I haven't worn it that much over the past 18 months because I've been a stay at home mom and I don't always feel the need to. I will run to the store and do errands without it. I would feel like it's a waste of time to do it just for that. I still wear it for church and times I am going somewhere I want to feel at least a little dressed up. I also don't mind feeling a little younger. I've gotten the impression when I wear makeup especially that I look quite a bit younger than I am.

12. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I am like you and I do not wear make-up at all unless it is highly necessary. I always keep my hair fixed and wear nice earrings, jeans, and a nice blouse when I go out the house, but make-up does not matter to me because it will mess up your skin, if you wear that stuff all the time. So I stopped wearing it years ago because I see it will make pimples on your skin if you don't do a deep cleaning when you come home. So I just keep my skin moisturized really good and keep it healthy as I can.

#12Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  13. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I rarely wear makeup and my hair is usually pulled back. I am comfortable with how I look, not necessarily impressed with my looks, but don't think I am ugly. There are days I wish I took more time to fix myself up so others might think I looked good, but I have just never wanted to spend a lot of time in the bathroom getting made up.