How much have you lost from scams?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Akya • Sep 26, 2013.

1. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Luckily, I've only fallen for one scam, and it was for such a small amount (around $50). I was a teen, I didn't do my research, and I ordered something off of a website I've never been to before. They sent me an inferior product with a handwritten note saying they were out of stock and would send me the "real" product a week later. Despite numerous attempts to contact them, they never sent it. Their live support even ignored me. The funny thing is, I've actually read some decent reviews of the site- although I assume those were all planted.

2. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I've actually never been "scammed," believe it or not. I grew up with the internet being a pretty popular thing and knew from the get-go to research things before I bought them. I don't fall for a good pitch or an item that looks too good to be true.

My mother, on the other hand, oh god. She spent about $700 online for a purse. It was supposed to be Gucci. She didn't ask me before doing it, and bought it from some knockoff Chinese site. She actually DID get a purse out of it, but it was about 5in tall and just sort of a tiny replica of the original purse she was supposed to be getting. =/

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Lucky for me I've never lost any money on scam. But I did bought an iPod Nano once and it broke within 2 months of use. That was the closest thing to a scam to me, I hated Apple for that. Anyways, $500 is a lot of money! I can't imagine how much it sucked, but you have to careful next time, the internet is full of people who wants easy money.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a phone from ebay a few years ago and it was supposed to be new. When it arrived I was so happy because it was just the kind of phone I wanted but two weeks later the screen went completely blank and I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't even make a call or text so I emailed the seller but I never got a reply back. Since then I always pay 100% attention on reviews of the product and of course it's sellers.

5. irishways

irishwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I've made over $20 with GPT, but it's slow and demotivating. There not all scams, but I would avoid them personally unless earning $1 an hour is acceptable. At least all you lost was your time, and sure you never know unless you try.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I lost around $130 already due to scams, 3 of the items that I ordered in Ebay got stolen from the post office and I lost the rest from investing in HYIP sites. So now I have stopped dealing with them. Sometimes cellphone technicians will scam you pretending that they have fixed my phone, but the real fault of my phone is that it's just not charging just because of a dirty port. So I avoid going to them as much as possible and I just research on Youtube regarding how to fix my phone.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once worked on a paid to click site in my spare time for a year. When I reached the cashout minimum, they never responded to emails and then the whole site went offline and I never got paid. I lost about $30 that I earned from a LOT of clicks and videos and tasks.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I managed to escape several scams this month while looking for accommodation in Spain. Luckily I have these hunches when something is not quite right even though everything is presented almost perfectly. If I had made those bookings over the internet, I would have lost at least a thousand dollars by now.
    There is a particular scam that involves a Western Union transfer. If anyone ever suggests that institution for a payment, don't even give it a second thought.

9. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been scammed myself, but I know someone that was scammed out of $3000.00 in a sports betting related deal that was wiped clean when the guy disappeared.

It happens. Be careful who you trust.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've lost about 650 dollars due to a scam. One is the company I was referring to on another thread and the only reason I got scammed was I'm really not a phone person. If it had been through internet I would have said no right away. The others were a DVD set I bought online that was the wrong one pirated and the other was right but was also pirated so it had some video problems and some episodes were missing. I know I'm never getting that money back even though I had tried to fight for it so it still makes me sad. I wish someone could tell me how to scam those people into giving me my money back.
    Other than that I haven't really lost money, just time. There were a few GPT sites that didn't pay me but it was chump change. The one that was the most was 50 dollars. Well I guess you could say I lost more because a virus wiped out my computer and I spent a lot of money getting the data back.
    I still don't know how I lost all this when I'm by nature a skeptic person. It just makes me feel stupid.

#30Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  11. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    Luckily, I haven't lost more than 100 dollars so far. After getting scammed a couple of times I became very suspicious of everything they sell online. Now I check 5 times before buying anything, I don't trust anyone.

12. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I was scammed by a website who still owe me 50$. It was a website where I was to get paid for the views I get on my articles. Although I has seen a few negative feedbacks about it but I wanted to see it for myself. I made about 50$ and they never paid me.

13. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have been searching ways to make money on the internet for weeks ow, so far I fell for three scams, but was able to get my money back in a short period of time. It was aesier to get my money back from the scams than it was to get my income tax this past year! I got married and changed my name, so I guess they were being extra careful not to give my money to someone else, but they could have given it to me! It took four months to get it instead of three weeks !!

14. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have been scammed and I will say I think they were mistakes and not intentional. I lost about 30 dollars. I bought a skirt online. It was a size 10 women's skirt and instead they sent me a girl's skirt. Now, the seller was male and it was on Ebay so there is a chance he just didn't know. Another time I was sent shoes that were "like new" but they reeked of cigarette smoke. Now, if someone was raised by smokers and are smokers themselves, many people do not realize how terrible it smells. So I can forgive that, again it was on Ebay. But other than that I have never been scammed.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Wow. I have lost $1,300 in an online wholesale scam from a company in China. This was in 2006 and I came across a service promising to send me multiple lots of Xbox 360 at a very affordable price. Like a fool, I fell for it and sent them money via Western Union. Never send money to a wholesale company by Western Union or Money Gram, unless you trust them and had a long working relationship with them. This scam really put me in the hole.