How much is too much to pay for a beauty product?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by KellyValentine • Oct 30, 2013.

1. KellyValentine

KellyValentineNew Member

Threads:
    Within the last few years I have developed dark spots on my face that I would like to get rid of. I currently saw a product from Lancome that claims to reduce dark spots and color imperfections called DreamTone. I would love to try this out on my face but the price is $98. This is really expensive for me and I don't even know if it will work. I would like to catch it on sale but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Is this too much to pay for one product? Anyone know any ways to get a discount on something like this?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on the product. I'm someone who spends a lot of money on beauty products, specially makeup and face treatment products. For dark spots reducer like the one you mentioned, they usually do tend to be pretty expensive. Especially something like Lancome, which is so known and so reputable. For dark spots, Kiehls has something similar. I don't remember the name, but its much more affordable.Clinique also has something similar. I don't remember the price, but I think it's also cheaper than the Lancome one.
    It's hard to find products like that on sale. Stores like Sephora tend to do very little sales for products like this, but you can always buy them on the friends and family sale which gives you 20 percent off and happens once or twice per year. But for that you need to be a beauty insider, which you can easily become by signing up on their website.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that before you blow your money on a beauty product that you aren't certain that will work, then I suggest that you read up on consumer reviews first and search if there is a negative feedback. If the negative feedback outweighs the positive feedback, then that is your cue to not buy the product anymore. I have tried to buy an expensive beauty product for my face before, but that was effective since it was recommended to me by my dermatologist.

4. KellyValentine

KellyValentineNew Member

Threads:
    I'm going to do a lot of research on the product before I actually go out and buy it. I like to see what others say after they have tried the product but sometimes it's just better to try it out yourself. Not everybody will have the same exact outcome. I will probably just end up buying it myself and hope for the best. Thanks everyone.

5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend going to a dermatologist first. I would want the spots checked out first. Do you spend a lot of time in the sun? I really don't think spending that much money on a product is worth it.

6. KellyValentine

KellyValentineNew Member

Threads:
    They are pretty much acne scars but I think your absolutely right because the last product that I used on my face that was supposed to be so spectacular was very harsh on my skin. I probably will try to research a dermatologist in my area and make an appointment.

7. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I have a budget of at least $50 a month for it. Anything that goes beyond that is already too much for me.

8. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't pay for anything at that price for a beauty product. I did that once before and the dark mark was still there after a few months. I tried ambi fade cream and Xtreme Brite and the mark was completely gone. Since it is a new mark on your skin, it should be gone when using products like that. If it is an old dark mark, the product would only make it fade. You would have to see a dermatologist because the scar is embedded deep into the skin.

With that being said, I didn't understand when I bought an expensive product that it only faded that mark in lie of getting rid of it. Xtreme Brite costs $12.99 and Ambi Fade Cream is $5.99 and they worked amazingly; I wouldn't pay for a produc that is over $20.00--not even a penny. I know those dark marks can be a pain, I deal with it all the time--I hope you find a product that is inexpensive. Good luck! :)

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that is a crazy price for ONE product that isn't guaranteed to work for sure. I would def not pay 100 bucks for no beauty product that is way to much money.

10. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't dare spend that much for a product that may not even work. There is always a cheaper alternative. I second the suggestion for Ambi fade cream thst is reasonably priced at any drug store. You can also try cocoa butter and or shea butter which will fade dark spots with consistent use over time.

11. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    I personally think that is way too much. You should make sure you do a lot of research about it before. A lot of stores and sites let you try out a sample for free before you buy it. Or you could buy a smaller size for cheaper before committing to it. I have also found some you-tube vidoes that have a lot of natural remedies that are cheap you could try.

12. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    If I were you I would look into the product a bit more before splashing out $98 because that is a lot of money for something you don't even know will work. Look for reviews of the product, or try searching for it on different websites as you may be lucky enough to find it on sale somewhere. If I spent that amount of money on a product and found that it didn't work, I would be so annoyed haha. In the past I've found that there are usually other, cheaper products that work just as well if not better, so just do some research and I'm sure you will find the right one! Good luck :)

13. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I would read up on a lot of product reviews, first. I personally wouldn't spend that much just because I would be mad at myself if it didn't work. I would try other things first.

14. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it can do for you I suppose. For face creams I've never spent more than $63 on it. It was Philosophy's Hope in A Jar and that was just over rated. I regretted that purchase because it did not do any better than the $20 plus Regenerist Night cream by Olay. If it really does a good job I’d be willing to pay the 60 odd dollars though with no whining. A pot of face cream usually lasts me 3 months so $20 a month is ok. Some face creams though cost around $200 and that is just way too expensive. I’d expect to look like I did in my early 20s if I had to pay that amount.

15. CannibalCrayon

CannibalCrayonNew Member

Threads:
    Lancome tends to be pretty trustworthy when it comes to it's products, but I would definitely do a little more research before dishing out 98 dollars on a product. There are usually many alternatives to things like this. I would look into Asian cosmetics. They tend to be a little more inexpensive but work fabulously, and you can find a lot more products geared toward hyperpigmentation than you would in the American market.

As for price, I'm a 20 year old soon-to-be college student, and expensive face/makeup products are just something I wouldn't want to invest in right now. I would pay for a product I know is guaranteed to work or I just can't find alternatives for up to 30 dollars MAX.
    I almost died when I saw the price for Le Mer's cream. I think it's 200-300 dollars for a small jar and, as far as I'm aware, it's not a spectacular product. Somehow people STILL buy it, even when they can't afford it. I guess it's just a means of extravagance that I just can't relate to.

16. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't spend that much on beauty products. I'd rather make my own. Before you blow that much money on a product that may worsen your problem, not even help, or give you an allergic reaction, I think seeing a skin doctor would be better. It will be pricey, but they can tell you what it is and how to get rid of it. It would save you in the long run rather than buying x-amount of beauty products. Plus, if you are questioning a purchase it is best not to make it.

17. Nada noor

Nada noorNew Member

Threads:
    I pay $75 for a cut and color, and I think that's not too bad. I have paid as much as $110. The important thing is whether she does a good job. If she gives you a quality haircut and the color looks good, then I would say it's a pretty good deal.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think before you go out and spend $100 on a designer product, why don't you check out iherb.com first. It's a really great company that I can't praise enough. I have bought natural cosmetic products from them for nearly three years now. Their prices and quality of products are superior to any other places that I have come across. Perhaps you would like to search their site for an affordable, and yet effective cream, without too many artificial ingredients, that will help you with your dark spots.