How much is TOO MUCH to spend on a gift for a new friend?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by True2marie • May 19, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Because of a new job, I recently acquired several new friends. My question - how much is too much to spend on a birthday gift for one of them? I don't want to NOT give this person a gift. Yet, I also don't want to pay a lot of money either since we just met.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A book is always a great gift for anyone. Just get that new friend a cheap book that costs under $5.

If it was me a simple free card wishing that person a happy birthday would be OK. If the person receiving the gift doesn't like it s/he can end the friendship.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the price is subjective depending on the culture you're in, but I'd say a safe bet would just spend what you think is average. I'd personally maybe only spend a little over $10 for a new friend - maybe $20 if I really like him/her, which is about the average price of a gift to people in our circles. I think that would be an alright price even if you just buy something more common with it like wine.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'd maybe try and find a more personalized gift, that doesn't cost a ton of money. Those gifts generally are much more fun to give at any rate and shows you know your friend well.

Perhaps also try and just set a budget for yourself. So for instance, set your budget at $25 and don't exceed that budget.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's too much to buy your NEW friend a very expensive gift of little value and even just quite expensive. In fact I think it's not yet needed to give a gift to your new friend because in the first place, you don't know yet if she's really be going to be your friend forever in life. You don't know yet if you will jive with each other. So, it's enough to be just nice in giving her a gift, and not be flashy to give her a very expensive one. One that is cute, though cheap will work.

6. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I think it's appropriate to give them a card and a small gift in value of $10 - $15. I call this a token gift. In my last job I would give everyone a nice box of chocolates and card at Christmas. I would spend about $7-$10. Everyone really enjoyed them and it wasn't going overboard. I think it's nice to acknowledge co-workers by giving them a small gift.