How much is too much to spend on a TV contract?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 8, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    In the UK, where I am from, we have to spend a certain amount of money per year in order to have a television in our home, and watch what is on it. However, if you then want to subscribe to satellite or digital channels, you will need to pay even more on top of that. I know some people who will spend literally hundreds on their television, only to find that they never even watch half of the things that they're paying to have available to them.

Personally, we spend £70 a month on television, internet and phone & line rental. I don't think that's too bad, however there are some channels that we don't watch, and some sports channels that we cancel when the season has ended for a few months until it starts up again.

How much would you say was too much to spend on TV? With freeview giving so many options, do we even really need to be spending anything anymore?

2. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I don't have a TV subscription contract. All the programs that I wathc can be seen on the internet or downloaded. Saves a ton, and I don't pay for channels that I don't even watch.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    What is that? Sounds like BT vision unless I'm mistaken. I don't pay any actually, not even the TV licence as I only watch things on iPlayer. With free view I think less and less people are paying for TV contracts, especially the expensive ones.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't know there's such thing as payment for television subscription. I thought that's totally free. In your case, I suggest you should just end the television contract now as there are a lot of alternatives for watching shows.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on ones entertainment budget which in itself is a cost. If the extra channels one has subscribed are not in use, it would only make sense for one to be frugal and unsubscribe. Also, if most of the channels you use are merely for entertainment but no value addition, it would be prudent to cut costs. Given the time constraints of modern life, I think 2 or 3 extra channels are enough.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @GemmaRowlands@GemmaRowlands What you're spending sounds reasonable to me. I was just talking to a neighbor the other day and asked what her bill is, and she has 3 services (phone, internet, and television) versus my 2 (internet and television), but she pays about $60/month more than I do. I think my bill is too high as it is, and I pay about $13/month on top of that for my VOIP phone. I'm considering cutting the cord, but am also considering switching the TV portion to satellite, because it seems as if I could save some money that way. I'm still pondering my options, but hope to make a change soon.

7. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    Paying £70 on all-inclusive (TV, Phone, Internet) is just great. I doubt you will find anything better for that price.

However, I am not sure if you still will want to be paying for TV since there are streaming services like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu that may or may not be far superior to TV channels you are currently watching.

Of course, there are news channels but BBC and Sky News can pretty much be streamed online.