How Much Is Your Maximum Budget For A Bag?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sidney • Nov 16, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was browsing bags on eBay, and I noticed that the prices range from $1 (auction) to thousands if they are designer bags. So I'm wondering how much is the most money that you're willing to spend on bags? As for me, when it comes to backpacks, I don't mind buying an original Jansport bag or any brand within Jansport's price range, but I would not buy a hand or tote bag that is more than $12. I'm just not into expensive hand/tote bags. How about you? Do you splurge on bags? If yes, which brand?

2. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I'm not one for spending a lot of money on a bag or anything for that matter. I love bags but I usually wait and get them as gifts for my birthday and Christmas, which are only one month apart. I really like Michael Kors bags though, they are very stylish and have great quality. If I was to spend lots of money on a bag, it would have to be $100. I couldn't see myself spending more than that on a nice bag.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    $100 for a bag is expensive for me already. I'd rather buy electronic items like a tablet with that money. I guess designer bags really have no place in my heart.. Unless I want to impress people that I bought one, lol! You know, when you're hanging out with brand conscious people, lol. They will definitely notice that.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the bag looks really sturdy and is made from quality materials, I won't mind spending $15 above. I can stretch my budget to $20, though. Spending more than that is just not practical. I mean, all bags have the same purpose, don't they? I don't think I can afford designer bags. But even if I could, my conscience will prick me. Most of the bags I like happen to be designed with utility in mind.

5. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    A bag I bought for $85 lasted for one year. It was made of plastic, came with a matching wallet and a phone case, and they both have the same smell. But a bag I got for $50 and $35 last for a couple of years. I think it's hard to shop for bags, considering the purchase history. For a bag, $100 to $150 is still pretty expensive for a regular woman's bag. :p Gym bags cost around the same, but they are not considered expensive for sports functionality.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy a new purse/bag when my old one is about to fall apart, my budget is about $20. I don't want to go over that because you never know if your purse is going to get damaged in day to day use. I would not want to spend a lot of money on one only to have it get stained, damaged in the rain, scratched by pavement if I had to set it down for some reason.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you feel that it would be "wrong" already to spend money on designer bags? You seem to feel guilty about it, since you mentioned that your conscience will bug you about it. What items do you splurge on if you don't mind me asking?

I remember when I was still in school, I used to place a book underneath my Jansport bag when I had to put it down on a dirty or rough cement or surface, so you might want to bring a tiny cloth/rag for that purpose.

#7Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  8. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    I don't spend much on bags as I tend to buy them in charity shops - you can get some real bargains and brands I wouldn't necessarily buy at full price. It also means I have quite a few and if I have a special occasion or event to go to and want to co-ordinate with my outfit, I can do so for a few pounds. Additionally, I don't get too upset if the bag breaks or if one of my cats decides to pee in it (happened once!) lol.

If I am buying new I won't spend more than about £10 so tend to purchase from high street stores. There are some great deals to be had on Ebay but I rarely have the patience to wait for delivery :)

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Anything over $30 is really too much for me. A bag is a bag. It is used to hold my money and stuff. If I spend all the money on a bag then I won't have any money to put in my bag.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, purchasing bags is just not something that I can afford. I love purses don't get me wrong but I would feel so guilty buying bags when I know I have other expenses that my family needs to take care of. The few nice pocket books I do have have been mostly gifts and I take care of them and reuse them.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh that's something you should not miss, I have taken advantage of those Ebay deals several times already, and it's really worth the wait. Don't miss out on them!

12. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Meh, it really depends. I'm not too into designer bags so to me it doesn't really matter so long as it's functional. However, if it's a backpack like for hiking or for my camera, I'd be willing to shell out maybe at least $40 for a bag to upwards of $100 for a bag. Any other fashion bags though, I'd probably spend less than $30 on it if I can.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bags have to be useful to me, such as shopping bags, beach bags, travel bags, etc. I have no use for designer bags. The average that I spend on any given bag is between $25-$80. I like to buy bags that keep for a long time, so quality is my main concern. Naturally, the design and colour also play a vital role, but from time to time I have been known to buy bags for practical reasons and not for their aesthetic appeal.

14. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    To answer honestly I will have to say, it depends on how much I like the bag. I bought a purple buxton laptop, carry all bag for 100 dollars because I really wanted that bag which I convinced myself I needed. It now sits in my closet filled with important papers, an expensive storage bag. Impulse buying is not a good thing, a bit of online searching and comparative shopping can save a lot of dollars.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm right there with you- we're on a pretty tight budget all around right now, so the budget for bags is even smaller. We actually have quite a few bags- totes and backpacks and such- that we got completely free for one reason or another. They work just as well. I'd say my maximum budget at the moment rests somewhere between $15-$30, bags are just definitely not a priority or even much of an interest for me.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try not to spend too much money on bags. But then lately I've been bitten by the satchel bug, I want them in a few different colours and sizes and good ones don't come cheap :( Especially because I'm of the opinion that a nice satchel has to be genuine leather. So dependent on size, I'd be willing to push the budget to maybe 250 English Pounds. For all other bags, I'm unwilling to pay anything over a hundred.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you about the leather thing. PU leather can chip off in time if you often use it, while genuine leather remains the same and is quite durable.
    It's just hard to remove ink stains on them. I tried to remove pentel pen stains on my leather bag, but it's still there.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am willing to go as high as $200 for my laptop bag, because primarily of durability. I don't care at all about the brand. What I do care most are the style and the durability. But it happens frequently that when the bag is really affordable, it's only either good at the design or durability. Most of the time, when the design is excellent, it's not durable. it rarely happens that they come both. When they do, they are expensive.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    $200 for a laptop bag? For me that isn't practical at all. Do you own such a bag now? If yes, then what brand is that that sells very expensive laptop bags?

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would depend entirely on why I need the bag. Expensive in most cases is synonymous with quality but sometimes it's not so I wouldn't go for the most expensive bag thinking that it will last longer than a cheaper bag. That's why I'd never spend more than $50 for a bag [depending on its size] because as a matter of fact I don't carry [lots of] luggage around with me when I'm traveling which happens to be the only time I might need a bag.