How Much Of A "handyman" Are You?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by sidney • Apr 5, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you always hire people to repair broken things inside your house, like when your Faucet is leaking, or when your lawn needs to be mowed, etc? I remember a friend's dad that does not know anything when it comes to simple things men do like changing light bulbs and stuff like that around The House, so his wife and children do the house repairs or maintenance instead of him. So I would like to know how much of a "handyman" are you. As for me, I only know how to change light bulbs and doorknobs, thanks to Youtube for the tutorial. I am on my way to learn how to remove hinges, I just haven't done it yet, but I have watched how it's done. How about you, what "handyman skills" do you know? Or you just hire other people to do it for you?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I am the handiest woman I know. I have to admit YouTube has helped me out of quite a few jams I'd gotten myself into trying to do things blind but you end up learning from those mistakes as well. There's never been something wrong I couldn't eventually make right. My guy could do it himself if it had any sense of priority for him. He's the type of person who could walk past a hole in the wall & not even see it. Clearly I am not.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good for you then, Youtube really makes us save money by not hiring other people to do things for us. I don't think I would want to entrust repairing any electrical wire in the house to Youtube though. I would be afraid that I would make a mistake. But for non-electrical stuff, I would try anything at least once.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I have to hold my hands up here and admit that I'm not a handy man at all when it comes to DIY. I have tried in the past but I just don't have the patience, especially if things start to go wrong!

If I have any jobs that need doing, then I always rely on a professional to come and do them, sure it costs more but I get the peace of mind in knowing its been done right.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe I'm the furthest thing you can get from being a handyman. I also can't do any DIY to save my life. Luckily, my husband loves that sort of thing and will have a good go, before we resort to calling someone in. My brother meantime, is useless at that sort of thing LOL

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can do most repairs around the house myself. What I never touch though is wiring. I'd rather call in an electrician to do fix any wiring-related issues because with electricity you can't take any chances. You screw up and you either lose the house or your life.

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty useless when it comes to things around the house. I've never had an interest and I'm happy to pay for someone else to do stuff. Admittedly, some of the very basics are fine like nailed something to a wall. But when it comes to plumbing and electrics it's best to be in someone else's hands!

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm honestly not that good with my hands. I can probably get any job done especially considering that there are online tutorials for pretty much everything nowadays, but whatever I work on somehow always turns out messy albeit functioning. It's why I trust others a lot more even if I can get it done just because I'd prefer a cleaner result as much as possible.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually fix things myself. There isn't much that you can't figure out on your own, unless you have to tear things up.. then I'll call someone in that actually knows what they're doing. I just grew up trying to figure out the ins and outs of everything,so I could maintain or fix them myself when needed and because I was curious how everything worked.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am quite the handy woman and can figure most things out. A few years ago, I actually installed my own ceiling fan as I got sick and tired of waiting for my fiance to get around to it. It took me like 3 hours to do, but it worked in the end and I was proud of the work I did. Between my fiance and I, we can figure most things out and spend very little on contractors to come in and do things for us. My dad has always been very handy and he taught us kids well.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Installing a ceiling fan seems like a lot of work, not to mention your neck will ache from looking up for a prolonged period of time. Congrats for being able to install it, your fiancee must be relieved that he was able to dodge a difficult task, lol.