How much of your grocery bill is fluff?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Lostvalleyguy • May 4, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    We have all heard that we shouldn't shop on an empty stomach. We all know that making a list helps keep us on track. Even if we try to do all the right things when shopping for groceries, we invariably pick up items that are not the best choices.

Take a look through your grocery bills and see home many items were needs and how many were wants. I went shopping at the tail end of a very long bike ride on a warm spring day. Somehow ice cream made its way home with me though I don't recall craving it, it was on sale and my defenses were down. These are the purchases I refer to as fluff. This was definitely not an item I needed. Sometimes we plan on buying wants rather than needs but they are still wants.

How much would you save on your grocery bill if you were to cut if back to just foods and items you needed rather than foods you want to make life more enjoyable?

2. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Very little fluff makes its way into my grocery cart! We also fall for the ice cream sales once in a while. But, I don't get upset about it because we do stick very close to our budget and grocery list. I cook everything from scratch, so I justify the occasional extras by telling myself I don't purchase pre-packaged or microwave meals so we deserve a reward!