How Much Research Do You Do?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Oct 25, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just found out about some companies putting micro plastics in our toothpaste and facial scrubs, and those are somewhat damaging to our health and is also proving to be a large detriment to the environment as well. This made me realize how misplaced my priorities were in doing research for my purchases. For example, if I were to buy a new TV or laptop, you could be sure I'd spend weeks researching them and finding the best one for my money, but somehow when it comes to food or toothpaste, products that I will be putting in my body, I spend little to no time researching these. After learning of the recent news about micro plastics, I will surely be more vigilant in researching every product I buy.

Are you guys guilty of this too? Do you research some products more than others? If so, which types of products do you devote your time to most?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like you, I only research the expensive items, the less expensive ones I don't even bother, like food and cosmetic items. I guess before buying any item now I should google the brand and product to check if there are harmful ingredients in it.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    You are so right. I haven't even really spent the time to sit down and reflect about this. Most of us research products we use around us that can have great benefit but are rather expensive, yet have nothing to do with personal care or consumption when those are the kinds of products that we should ensure that we research. In regards to the toothpaste, that is some alarming enlightenment to me. I wasn't aware of that. But I think I will join you and start researching items I personally use much more often now.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many resources available, we have no excuse not to look up things either online or in a newspaper or journal or even on television.

Regarding the plastic micro beads, that is fairly recent and is something that companies are either fading out or have stopped using. I think they tried to play it down as no one knew until several years later it was discovered that the effect it was having on the environment.

That's why forums exist, so people who don't where to look for information can ask someone that does.

5. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard of microbeads, but did not know its health reasons. This is surprising. I thought commercial products that are for use by humans needed to be registered with certain government bodies before it is released for public consumption. This is an eye opener. I think I need to do more research on the products that I use.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I carefully research every single product that I buy. That includes all food products, body care products and virtually everything that I spend money on. These days there are so many hidden poisons, such as dubious additives and preservatives in most commercial products. I don't want to ingest them by eating them or absorbing them in some other way. Some of my friends think that I am obsessive about it, but the fact is that I feel terrible even just thinking about those nasty ingredients, not to mention exposing my body to them.