How much should it cost to replace plumbing below kitchen sink by a plumber?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Jhonvomer • Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jhonvomer

JhonvomerNew Member

Threads:
    We are looking at a home that needs the plumbing replaced below the kitchen sink (including a dishwasher but not a disposal). What would the cost be to replace just the plumbing.

#1Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you will find any standard answer to that. It depends on all sorts of factors such as what are you replacing everything with, how much piping is actually involved quantity wise etc. When we redid or bathroom I got five quotes from companies I had heard about or knew of and then weighed factors such as when they could get the job done vs. price. etc.

The one thing I did was purchase my own toilet, vanity/sink and tub and had then install it. That way I could shop around and find the cheapest price and not rely on a contractor making extra money from appliances.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It is really hard to say but you should get quotes from several plumbers to get a more accurate idea. You can price out the parts through websites for Lowe's and Home Depot and then add in the hourly labor charge for the plumber. You can also ask the plumbers when you call for quotes if you can supply the parts yourself. If you let the plumber provide parts, they will definately charge you a lot more for them than if you get them yourself.

4. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Those charge $80 to $100 just for coming out. That is not even counting labor or hyper inflated parts. If I can I save myself the money and do it myself. It is these skilled tradesmen who really rake in the bucks anymore, while your average shopkeeper is putting their paycheck in the bottom drawer so they can pay their employees. I have seen that before myself.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Often times this will be area specific too. Some areas have higher rates (as with higher cost of living) then others areas. Different plumbers have different rates too. If it is just pipes, then you may be able to do some of that yourself. But if you are not sure if there is more involved, then definitely take the plunge and get a plumber out there to let you know what all needs to be done. Some plumbers will come out and give you an estimate without charging you, but I know that not all of them will do that.

6. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, they'll find a way to find even the most mundane thing pricey. If you can, try to look to see if any of your friends know a plumber. That way, you stand less chance of being nickle and dimed. Because not only will they charge just for the visit to see what's wrong, then they'll give you all sorts of other charges along with it.