How much would developing an app cost?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by beccagreen • Aug 19, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I was planning on developing an app for my website and I was wondering how much would it costs me to have an app developed. I know it's not going to be cheap but I heard a lot of things about app making that you can make your own app now with less effort. I would gladly try my hand on making an app since I have a background in web development and IT but the thing is the app I'm trying to develop isn't really as simple as a bird flying through pipes. Any smart estimates? Or if you're a developer how much would you charge for a simple store app?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm no expert. However, I'll try to answer your question in the most objective way possible.

-First of all, you'll need about $25 in order to display your app on the Google Play Store.
    -Of course, you'll also need a software to develop an app. It would probably cost you about $80 above. This software could be used for numerous apps and games so you could probably spread out the cost.
    -You'll need electricity to create apps and games so that's also included in the cost
    -If you're gonna hire an expert, that would be a cost as well.

Maybe all in all, the cost to develop an app or game would probably be $150 to $200.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once worked for someone who was developing a game. Creating the app was for the coders but I was part of the team to promote the game [I wrote a number of stories for them]. He spent over $5000 to create the game. And a little bit more for promotion. But that's if you intend to hire someone to help you with creating the game. I don't know about the cost of making apps so I won't say a word about them.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try getting a computer science student from a college to help you out. They'll charge you far less than other developers because they'll be interested in getting the experience and name exposure. You can spend as little as $100 on app development, but I'd say $500 to $1,000 is a far more likely average for smaller apps. Bigger apps or complicated ones could cost thousands and thousands of dollars, though. It just depends on how complicated your app is intended to be.

5. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    It depends. If I can recall correctly the initial fee for making an app on the Google Play Store is $20. Are you going to be developing the app by yourself? It costs a bit of money hiring coders to develop your app. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck!

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    $5000? But that's a full on game right? I mean like Temple Run or something like that? I don't have that much money though but I think the app that I'm planning to develop won't cost me that much. I asked my friend who's an IT guy who knows a bit about app making and he said I can develop the app for free but I need to pay some fees if I wanted it to be up on the Play Store or App Store.

Well that's cheaper than I anticipated. I talked to one of my friends but he's estimates are far less chaper, he claims that I can develop the app for free if I know how, which I do know how since I have some CS background but I'm not one to create something as complex as an online store app. Is that really the price you need to pay to be able to get accepted to the Google Playstore? I think I need to do a lot of research before I get into this.

Hey that's a great idea! Maybe I'll work a deal with a student and possibly making it beneficial for both of us, he can make the app as his final project or something and I can pay him to develop the app for me. Wow that's a great idea thanks! Yeah that's my main problem still, I don't know the scale of the app I'm trying to develop since it's some sort of an online store so I'm not sure if it's easy or more complex than I thought.

#6Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    This is awesome information. Recently, I thought about developing my own app. However, I wasn't sure how. Even if the numbers are off, at least the process is there. So, I can go forward and do it.

8. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend (with no technical/programming skills whatsoever) who developed a simple app thru Mobincube for free. He did not sell the app though it's just one of his website special giveaways several months ago. I've been planning to try it too but my schedule is so hectic. Anyway, you can try the following to create simple apps for free (these are just a FEW of the many websites that are providing free apps maker services - you can "Google" for others):

But of course they are not totally free. Some will charge commissions if you were able to sell. Some will include ads in your app and some will offer it initially for free like a trial offer.

:)