How Much Would You Pay For Grocery Delivery?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Mar 22, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I dislike having to pay more than around £5 for grocery delivery as I think it's a ridiculously high price if it's much over that. Usually though I don't go over £3. As I can't drive, being able to have groceries delivered is a bonus for me but I try to opt for the delivery slots that are cheaper, such as 9pm, in order to make the money I have go further on the actual groceries. I think the highest I've ever seen was £10, which I'd simply never pay. How much are you willing to pay for grocery delivery?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some organic delivery companies which claim that they deliver groceries to your doorstep and you'll buy the products at the same price they sell at stores. But considering the fact that "organic groceries" are pretty expensive, you wouldn't be saving any money anyway.

To answer you question, how much I'd pay for grocery delivery, I'd say no more than $4 but I hardly ever pay [grocery delivery] because the stores are less than a mile away from where I live.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with that for sure. Organic grocery boxes always seem to be really expensive, and I wouldn't use them just to get free delivery.

Here, if you spend less than £40 on groceries from a regular supermarket they automatically add an additional £4 to your basket on top of the delivery cost so it's not worthwhile to do a grocery shop unless you're going to buy enough to spend the £40, so that's something I also look at whenever I'm doing a grocery shop online.

Do they charge you less for living close to the store? Or do you just not need to order online because you're so close?

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some elderly folks who order their groceries online and it costs them no less than $6 [the local stores have a fixed shipping fee regardless of how much money you spend] to get the groceries delivered. That's why I never order anything online. If for some reason I can't get to the stores I could ask one of my neighbors who comes home late from work to buy me whatever I need and refund her cash.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd never used the service myself but if I did I would just calculate how much I would spend on gas if I had to drive to that specific store and I'd also factor in the time and effort I'll be putting in and if the price is lower then I'd say it would be worth it, especially if I could just use that time to do some work wherein I could earn back the money I am spending for the delivery. I don't think I'd be comfortable with buying everything via delivery though, as I'd probably prefer being able to choose my own vegetables and meat, so if I had to do both I wouldn't be willing to pay that much for the delivery. I'd say around $3 would be my average.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will always go for the cheapest slot whenever I'm having anything delivered - it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, as I really don't mind getting up to receive my delivery. However usually I don't get things delivered at all as I live close enough to the shops to either walk there or drive - and delivery charges would cost me more than my petrol, so yes I always try to do without deliveries if I can manage it.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had my groceries delivered. We have had pizza delivered which I had to give a tip for. The only store that delivers in my area is Peapod and I think they have a fixed fee. If you have to pay for a ride to the store and back it maybe cheaper to have it delivered.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I would be willing to pay up to about $10 to have my groceries delivered to me. When I was unable to drive for several years, I had to rely on taxi services, which are a lot more expensive than that for a round trip to the store. It would have cost me more than three times as much had I taken a taxi instead. In addition, depending on where you live, it can take hours to get a taxi to come out to pick you up. When I lived in a suburb of Cleveland, it was near impossible to get a taxi because they would rather work the airport and downtown areas where they can get a steady stream of business, as opposed to making a 30 min drive to the suburbs (unpaid) to do a $10 ride somewhere, then waste another 30 min (unpaid again) driving back to where there is more business.

I think $10 is reasonable, because not only are they delivering your groceries to you, someone has to go around the store and fetch your order as well. Plus, if you consider that you are giving them a strict grocery list and they are sticking to it, you're likely saving a considerable amount of money since you're not there in person and more inclined to make impulse buys.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had groceries delivered, so I'm not sure what the prices for such services are here. I live very close to at least a couple of stores, so I just go.

There are some days that it would be worth a pretty penny to me though. Many times, I can't walk through the entire store without having to stop and sit for a while. By the time I'm done, I'm limping. Lugging the groceries to the car, then into the house, and then putting them away, can be a real chore when you're in pain.

I'd definitely be willing to pay a few dollars to have someone save me most of those steps. I'd do like DrRipley said and work online while waiting for the delivery.

I'm going to look into this.