How Much Would You Spend On a Suit?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by tulosai • Jul 8, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    For those of you who have to buy suits for work, about how much do you spend? Where do you go to get the best deals? I'm starting a new job soon and any tips would be much appreciated!

2. AceOfHype

AceOfHypeNew Member

Threads:
    There is absolutely nothing worse than a cheap suit.

The last suit I bought for consultations at my medical practice cost around $1000

If there's one type of clothing that your going to spend a lot of money, I would highly suggest that be a suit.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    We have our suits tailor-made. It actually works out so much cheaper...and it looks better than designer. If you go for a holiday to the East, have a few made there...excellent workmanship and the price is really inexpensive! A friend of mine's husband used to work for Hugo Boss and then started working for himself...and would be able to cut the same suits for like a $100 to $300.

So, I definitely recommend finding a very good tailor with attention to detail and a good track record. Then...never let them go, no matter what!

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have a suit, but I do have mix and match, like khakis and a nice blazer. I do have to purchase a suit soon for my wedding. For this, I will go to Moore's because they always have buy one suit and get one free. Winners also has reasonable prices for brand names, such as a Ralph Lauren suit for $150. Check Sears since they are starting to go under.

5. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I typically go to Dillard's or Sears for my suits. This ends up costing me around $250 or so. I can't afford to get a suit for $1,000+ when I need several of them. My husband spends roughly $350 on his, but he only has a few. Doesn't need as many as I do.

6. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    This wold never have occurred to me thank you so much for the suggestion! I will have to check out prices. Thanks everyone else for your advice too :)

7. adriana2012

adriana2012New Member

Threads:
    I hate spending money for work clothes, because I can't really use them in other places beside work, but because at work you have to look as well as you can and make a good impression every time, I spend about 50 - 100$ on a suit...for me that is more than enough...

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would say if you can find nice blazers then there is nothing that you can't do with that to make a suit from that one piece. Ladies can buy nice skirts and pants to match and you are all set. Even a nice dress with a blazer can make you look great for the office. So if you purchase different blazers you are already for the office and looking good. So the price I would pay would be very reasonable maybe $150, and you will look like a million bucks when you accessorize, and wear nice shoes with a purse to match. Some time you can find nice blazers and skirts on sale, so there you go spending a lot less.

#8Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think having a good suit is essential for any job. The key to choosing is to analyze what is the use we are going to give. For day to day, we have to choose a costume that leaves us comfortable and we can work in full, without bothering with how we look or the way we have.There is also the possibility to invest a little more money and we get a multipurpose suit, we provide an alternative to going to meetings or be a little more elegant on special occasions. Get a good basic, is a respectable alternative, as it gives us the possibility of combining with other suits or other clothing.

Whenever I buy a new suit, I think in the future and the utility that I will give. I try to make a balance between price / use / quality. That equation has always given me good results.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know , but if you buy some nice blazers you are already set to go because you can mix and match them with everything. That is what I use to do when I worked in the office. Everyday was business attire and I was ready to make it work and when I though I needed something a little different I would go purchase a piece or two to go with which ever blazer that I wanted it to match and I had that suit put together for the next meeting and never got a complain but all compliments. I called this the easy way to make a suit no matter what.

11. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    My fiance has his suits tailor made and it works out a lot cheaper. The woman that makes his suits charge $75-400 depending on what he wants and design of the suit. I think Macy, Sears, and Dillards are places that have affordable suits.

12. Yuvastyleindia

YuvastyleindiaMember

Threads:
    My spending is totally depends on the quality and looks of suit. It is important for me that the suit must be branded or of a good quality. The second thing that must be of my choice so I will buy it, no matter what it costs. I always try to search for the coupons so I get some discounts on my purchases.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My general approach to clothes is to invest in good quality. I'm not sure I would do that with a suit because I wouldn't get much wear out of it and it would be a waste of money. I would only invest in a suit if I needed one for work etc.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    You know if you are buying suits for work it does not have to cost a fortune to look nice for work. You are not going to the Grammy Awards show and beside you need more than on to change in everyday of the week. So if we are talking ladies, you know what I am saying. Mix and match is your best bet and for men they don't need as many because they can tie together 3 suits in one week so it will look different. So why not get the buy one get one free at the men's store.

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that the most amount of money spent on a good suit that isn't on sale would have to be 300-500$. I wouldn't pay more for a clothing item such as this because it is something that is not going to be worn everyday.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear suits, but I have a friend who does. He buys his suits incredibly cheap either at menswear discount stores or at goodwill stores and finds one that moderately fits and then takes it to a tailor. He ends up with the most perfectly fitting suits you can imagine, and never spends more than $200 in total, but usually not as much as that.

17. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I like wearing blazers a lot. They are nice to wear with a flowy dress or even with a cute blouse.
    If I were to buy one for work I would pay maximum 60 $, not more.
    Sometimes you can find good combos, blazer and pants that match.

18. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I think a suit is the kind of thing where the more money you can afford to spend on it the better. I would not even want to try and go anything in a cheap suit as people would be looking and making comments about it. I'd say about £100 would be around the price I'd be looking at.

19. Sandy Mayfield

Sandy MayfieldMember

Threads:
    I am very short so I buy my pieces separate. I get some nice quality slacks, skirts, a couple dresses, and a few blazers (usually colorful ones) then quite a few blouses to mix and match. When I was looking at regular suits they just never fit me right and when I needed it I didn't have time to get one tailor made.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If I am going to wear a suit I would want to fit properly and have me look dapper. Therefore if I am going to buy a suit I would be prepared to spend a pretty penny on it to ensure that it would really serve me well.