How Often A Day Do You Feed Your Dog?

Discussion in Pets started by sunnyside • Apr 15, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Eating three square meals a day is usually the norm for humans. Some people may even snack more often, bringing it to 5 times a day or so. However, when it comes to feeding your dogs, would you feed them more than once a day?

When we used to keep dogs, they would be fed only once a day, usually around lunch time after we were finished eating. They would get what was left over from our lunch. They survived quite well on just the one meal.

Pets are nice to have around, but they can also be an added expense. Do you think dogs need to be fed 2 or 3 times daily, or do you think once a day is enough, as long as the meal is adequate enough to fill them?

2. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I personally do it twice in a day, early in the morning and before I go to sleep, however sometimes I just feed him at nights because the dog's food is kinda expensive these days, at least it is in my country.

3. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Our dog constantly has dry food in her and gets wet food twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well my family and I are huge pet lovers so we tend to spoil our pets a lot, be they cats or dogs. We feed them approximately 5 times a day. 3 of those meals constitute the regular breakfast, lunch and dinner. The other 2 are morning and afternoon snacks which can either be kibbles or fried fish.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have dry food and fresh water out for my two little dogs. That way, they can snack anytime that they are hungry, jut like we can do. Chipper will often get just one bite of kibble from his dish, and bring it here in the living room and eat it in his comfy little bed on the floor.
    Whenever we have a meal, we always share some with the dogss; so they are very spoiled with people food as well.
    At night, when they get in their beds to sleep, then we also give them a bedtime snack. Usually they share a half of a hot dog each night at bedtime.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I feed my dog twice a day. Once in the morning and then again at night. She may get a few milkbones during the day for treats. I always have water in her bowl so she can have enough to drink. She is a puppy still so she eats a lot. I do not want to starve her which is why I make sure she has food. She does not always eat it all at once so she will nibble on it throughout the day.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I feed one of my dogs three times a day as he has to have medication three times a day for a skin condition he has and needs to eat with his medication. The other dog gets fed once a day though. He's an odd dog in that if he's had enough food he'll walk away and won't eat a treat just because you give him it (and often stashes them for later instead!) so he's perfectly satisfied with having all his food in one go, while the other dog that eats three times a day would rather get 30 meals :p He always wants to eat!

My cat is fed twice a day usually, once in the morning and once at night. She'll occasionally come and ask me for more food if she's hungry but it's not often she does, so if she asks I tend to give her some.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may sound absurd but we feed our dogs 6 times in a day. The breakfast is the first followed by lunch which is given in 2 installments. There is a snack in mid afternoon which makes for the 4th feeding and dinner is also in 2 installments for a total of 6 feedings. The lunch and dinner are in 2 installments because 1 of our dogs - the hyperactive pug - eats so fast that it tends to vomit. Our solution was to give the meal in 2 installments to prevent vomiting. And we are right on that.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I know about dogs is that they should be fed only twice a day. One meal in the morning and another in the evening. Many people I know don't feed their dogs in the morning, opting instead to give them their first meal in the afternoon and their second one late in the evening. Both are fine I think.

Puppies however should be fed at least three times a day.

Those who feed their dogs several times a day do more than just spend more money than they should on pet food. Overfed pets get obese and they're more likely to get sick. Regular visits to the vet can be avoided.

10. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    We have a shih tzu and a toy poodle here at home. My shih tzu Clio is being fed four times a day and the toy poodle gets three feedings. We give them a variation of boiled chicken liver, ground beef or lean chicken meat with a small amount of rice. Breakfasts and dinners are mainly dog food. My Clio is given the mentioned foods twice per day and a serving of dog food late at night. Otherwise she'd have a tummy ache and throw up in the morning. I've read that they're prone to acidity.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our pets get fed once or twice per day, depending on the food available and their appetite. Sometimes the finicky dog won't even eat, so he gets no meal when he is being picky, but he eats the next day due to hunger.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    It depends of dog's size. A small breed like the tiny pinscher will be happily sated eating once per day around 1/8 of a big bowl for bigger dog breeds.
    I mix kibble with sardine's guts and leftovers (rice, boiled chicken wings and legs etc.) to provide them a balanced diet, then I serve them each a suitable ration of it once per day.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I fee my dog twice his main meals twice a day but throughout the day he'll be given sort of snacks i guess you could say that. He is not very picky with his food, he is a happy and contented dog. :p