How Often and for How Long Do You Exercise in a week?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by jdwriter • Aug 14, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I envy you. I don't exercise anymore, I mean I do but it's not that intense cardio I used to do. Ever since I got sick when I worked out way too hard once I never really pushed myself on. I only do stretches now and yoga in the morning about 10 - 15 minutes before I eat breakfast.

2. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I try to work out (lift weights) at least 4 times a week, but that rarely happens now because I rarely have the energy or time. To compensate, I usually increase my cardio work (I dance in the shower, I walk rather than ride, I climb the stairs more) but I would really like more time to work out.

It's really inspiring to read about people who work out almost every day. You guys make me feel like I can do it too. :)

3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    One of the reasons I bike is that jogging, walking, or running is hard on both the feet and knees. I have had fallen arches since my stint in the army, so running or walking long distances can be out, but I usually bike to Walmart and then walk around the store. I don't want to end up like my ex-wife and need to buy a new pair of knees.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I take 4 ballet classes per week, total of 5:30 of ballet. I commute everywhere by bike except to church when I ride with my room mate. So Sunday is my day off from physical exercise for my body to repair and rebuild. I believe it is very important to have at least 1 day off, especially if you are doing higher impact exercise. Not having a day off from high impact exercise is a risk factor for stress fractures as the bones are being stressed in exercise so much they may not be able to keep up with the rebuilding. Taking a day off gives your body a chance to catch up, strengthening both muscle and bone.

5. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Yikes! That seems like way too much strain on your body. The body needs time to recover otherwise bad things can happen. I work out a maximum of five days a week. I usually walk/run on my treadmill (or outside if the weather permits) a few times a week for 30 minutes to 1 hour. It mostly depends on what I have going on that day. That is usually what determines how long I work out for.

Some days I will go to the gym to lift and/or use other machines. I don't go above 2 hours of exercise per day. That's usually my limit because I don't want to overdo it and I usually don't have the time to anyways. I usually only get to the gym 2-3 times a week.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I exercise three-four times a week, each session lasting 45 minutes to an hour. I lift weights and rarely do cardiovascular exercises. It bores me lol. Sometimes, though, I like jogging in the early morning.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've it said that it could be good to work out every day but a few years back when I did work out 6-7 days a week for an hour at a time I lost the extra weight I was carrying fast but I started having problems with my immune system. It felt like it was breaking down and realized I needed some vitamins with all that vigorous exercise. I think its important to be careful not to over do it, and to make sure taking vitamins.

8. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Same here. If I get rained on the same day I did a vigorous workout, I always get sick. That's why I take zinc and vitamin C after every workout now. :) Plus I actually think your body gets used to it. I used to feel really week when I work out, but after doing it consistently for months, I barely feel tired a few hours after, no matter how hard I exercised.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to exercise virtually never. Now I am onto the couch potato to 5k regime, and it's going quite well actually! I used to do weights, but no exercise other than that. When running for my 5k training the amount of train increases every say. It's about 15 minutes per day total at the moment.

10. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I workout between four and five times a week. I never keep an workout for more than 80 minutes because the body would start to burn itself, a lot of muscles would be burnt in order to keep your energy levels high.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I workout every other day, so 3-4 times a week.
    I usually either go for a jog or I do a few quick exercises around the house, like squats, pushups, curls, etc.

12. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    That is a lot! You can work out every day, but should really vary what muscle group you are working so you're not stressing the same ones each day. I read an article that said you start at 100%, and if you keep working out the same thing each day you keep decreasing by 5% until you begin to deteriorate muscle and hurt yourself. 4-5 times a week with a mix of cardio and strength should be more than sufficient to maintain your current body weight. But changing it up every day is really key. And if something is hurting, listen to your body and give that part some time to rest!

13. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be an Olympic-style weight-lifter, back when Bob Hoffman was alive and still ran York BBC and the U.S. weightlifting program. Hoffman (who was independently wealthy) started a health-food business to help provide supplements to his athletes.

14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I exercise everyday in the morning around 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on my mood. :D I only do basic cardio exercises such as running and jogging. I sometimes do sit-ups as well.

15. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I exercise about 5 days a week, and I rest on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and trust me, they are the best days ever. I exercise really hard, 60 days per day of the 5 days, and I jump constantly without stopping one second, it teaches discipline but it's really hard workout.

16. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    For me I try to usually take a day off in between exercise days, so I end up working out around 4 days a week usually. However, I think I'm going to start doing it at least 5-6 days a week, but alternating between my upper body, leg and ab workouts, plus doing more cardio. Got to get ready for beach season!

17. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I heard it's not healthy to go over 6 days as it can stress your body out, because you need comfort days where your muscles relax?

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pushing ourselves is a stress to the body. I won't do it. I'm just as fit and healthy for it. I want to enjoy every minute of my life and exercise for the sake of exercise and vanity is a no for me. The health aspect means a lot to me though, so I make sure I move even on days I don't feel like it, but no matter what I do, it's natural and fun.. I don't do gyms or jumping around until I'm a heap on the floor. Unnatural. Not fun lol.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have done excessive exercise before, but haven't really found it to be that harmful. As long as you are giving yourself a longer break than normal, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

I only exercise 1-2 times per week normally, but they are usually intense workouts like very long walks.

20. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I see. I guess it's subjective, but that's actually really good if you can handle it. I love exercising till I'm raining sweat, haha. I don't lift weights, I basically just do pushups and something like Jump rope for 60 minutes non stop, and it makes me feel naturally high and feel up, I really like it.