How Often Do You Buy A New Hairbrush?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Theo • Jan 26, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have long and thick hair so I have a few hairbrushes and I buy a new one every few years as they are expensive. How often do you change yours? Is it because it's old or you feel like a new one. I wash mine with shampoo every other week and alternate brushes too so I do take care of mine. I have a tangle teaser which is made out of plastic and I probably never need another as it washes really easily as well.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will typically buy a new hairbrush every six months, maybe. I never really count. I go more by need than by time. Also, I preferred to buy good quality and higher-priced hairbrushes that can last me longer than buy cheap hair brushes that I need to get rid off and buy new ones every once in a while. And that's for washing my hair brushes, I don't do it very often. I only removed the hairs stuck on it.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I buy one once a year or more often if it breaks. I have long hair and brush my hair out once a day in the morning. I clean it out daily and don't let it get grimey. I also like to soak my brushes in a cup of hot water with soap every month.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a hard time finding hair brushes that I really like. It seems like, even though I test them with my hand in the store and they feel okay, once I get them home and use them on my hair, I don't like the brush.
    They will either be too thick or too thin bristled, and when I brush my hair, sometimes they seem like the bristles are just too soft, and the next one will be so hard that it hurts my head.
    The very best brush that I have ever had is an old one that i got years ago from Avon, and that brush has just lasted for ever and ever.
    I also have one of those little round ones, with the bristles going every which way, and I use that on the shorter hair on top of my head to curl it back where I want it to go.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use hair brushes. I own combs, with teeth. Since I was a little child, I have never used brushes. Brushes take too much of my hair out on each brushing session, and do not end up giving me the desired effect or look that I want once I am finished. The teeth to the combs that I own are all plastic, and I don't change or get a new comb unless the old one breaks.

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I can't remember the last time I bought a new brush. That really sounds awful but I don't use them very often. My hair is short so I prefer a comb or just my fingers to remove tangles and style.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The one I have been using right now has been with me since 2012, so until now it's still the one I use. I don't really buy another comb or brush until the one I use breaks.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not very concerned about hairbrushes since I have my usual space-saving combs. I have two or three brushes at home that I use alternately depending on the need. It takes about three or more years before I buy a new brush and it's mostly because my previous brushes got lost in the shuffle and it's hard for me to locate them.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have long hair a good brush does make a difference as to whether it breaks or is good for brushing out the tangles. If my hair isn't comfortable then it makes me on the whole irritated so it is worth it for me to have a good brush. I do have a hairbrush cleaner like a scrubbing brush to keep it clean and to prolong it, though I will admit I don't do as often as I ought to.

10. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Until I read this post, I never realized hairbrushes were something you replaced LOL. I think I've had the same couple brushes/combs for the past few years. I only replace them if they break, which don't happen much given the plastic-y(?) material they are; however, I do get my brushes from stores like Walmart so I don't really know how quality they are.

Do you have any recommendations on good brushes for long hair? I constantly have tangles and large amounts of hair come away from every brushing. And how does a hairbrush cleaner prolong it? I've never heard or seen one of those things before.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recommend

and they come with a hair brush cleaner so it removes all the hairs and keeps the brush clean. They have a choice of bristles and a guide on how to choose.These are good for the scalp and very gentle. I also use a

for knots as hairdressers swear by them.

12. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Hmm, while I really like having a hairbrush catered to me hair needs, I don't think I can justify spending over >100 for a hairbrush, no matter how good it is, if my cursory amazon searches are anything to go buy. The tangle teezer looks like a great idea that's in my budget however! Is there any difference between it's normal one and the aqua one they have out? It says the normal one is good for wet hair too and that seems the purpose of the aqua one too..

13. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy a new brush when I break the old one, haha. I have really crazy thick hair too, and I used to break brushes constantly when I was younger! Then again, it was during my dance years, where I had to put a lot of hairspray in my hair, so needless to say I had way more knots then I do now.

I generally buy my brush from Wal-Mart. It's a black Conair paddle brush and it's only about 4 dollars or so. It's made of a hard plastic, but has a finish that feels "plush". It works great for my hair and really gets knots out. :)

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy hairbrushes.

I pretty much only buy them when it's discovered that I NEED one. As in, maybe one has gone m;missing entirely. Or like my most recent.... maybe I held it too close to the hair dryer and it melted all its little plastic pieces, rendering it useless...

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I doubt there is much difference between the tangle teezers. Stick to the normal one as they are affordable and do last a long time. They just market whatever they can in different colors and sizes.
    My Mason and Pearson ones I got in a sale and they do last, which is why they are more expensive.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I just bought one about a month ago. One that is in pretty nice quality with metal bristles and a foam rubber like handle. This was a salon style hair brush but I got it at a dollar store for only a few dollars. So, it was a great bargain. Prior to that it had been awhile since I had bought a new hairbrush I will admit that out loud. I tend to think more about changing my toothbrush which is every three months then i do about changing my hair brush.

17. saastil

saastilNew Member

Threads:
    I totally second the Mason and Pearson brush. YES it is about $100 (I got mine on eBay for $60) but oh my goodness... is it worth it! I have straight thin hair and since using my MP brush twice a day, I absolutely never get tangles anymore and my hair feels like silk all the time. Plus it can be used for 20+ years (I've heard of grandmothers passing them down to their granddaughters) and so I will never have to buy another hairbrush. I hate those all-plastic brushes that pull and tear my hair, just awful. There's nothing that can replace authentic boar bristles if you really want to take care of your hair.

18. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Thanks! I'll buy one of those next time I buy from Amazon or if I ever see one in stores. I'll keep an eye out for the Mason and Pearson brushes in case I ever find one on sale/for cheaper too :)

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have very short hair like a boy so I brush my hair every day. I do need to replace my brush but have not seen one I like. I have have this one for a very long time.

20. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I also only buy a new brush when mine breaks. I also tend to invest in good quality ones so I take care of them by washing them often. I've bought a few cheap ones and they would break after a few months, I think its more cost effective to spend the extra money and buy quality ones.