How often do you clear out your wardrobe

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by irishways • May 22, 2014.

1. irishways

irishwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I am the worst in the world for hording. I swear, there are things in my wardrobe from the 90s. I know I should bag it up and send it to the charity shop but there are so many memories wrapped up in those old numbers. Who's to say they won't be back on trend.
    Now is it just me, or does anyone else struggle with this?

2. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I clean up at least once a year. Also, although I would really keep some pieces and hold on to them because I think they may come back in style, I really try to let go of the ones that I'm pretty sure I won't use ever again. I don't see the point in making my closet too tight to be able to accommodate newer things just because I'm holding on to old stuff so much. I always try to make room for newer stuff.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I clear it out at least once a year (sometimes twice, depending on how much clothes I bought/received). I haven't grown out of my clothing in years though, they all fit pretty well still. I usually clear it out and donate it to the homeless. If the clothes are really bad looking, then just I cut them up and use them as rags for wiping the floors.

I have a couple things that I've held on to from the past, they're in a little drawer. ^.^'

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I used to only go through my entire once a year, and I rarely got rid of things. I would come up with crazy occasions where the outfit would be appropriate, I would tell myself it would fit better if I lost a few pounds, the color would work if I changed my make up...you get the point I was ridiculous. Now I do two really large wardrobe "weedings" a year and it is so worth it. I know that everything I have I love and fits me well, having extra space is so much better than I having a huge wardrobe and I feel good knowing the clothes go to people who need them.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    From the 90's you say? Count me in! Up until a year ago, when I moved in a much smaller flat, I used to keep all my old clothes - cuz' why not, I had plenty of space. To be honest, it was near impossible to find something in my closet. I buy second-hand clothes mostly since they're less expensive so you can imagine the mountains of clothes I had. So once I started moving I sorted everything, kept the ones I was still wearing and donated the rest.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am merciless when it comes to my wardrobe. If I haven't worn an item for 6 months, I know I will never wear it. So why have it sitting or hanging around when someone else could enjoy it? I regularly donate to my local charity store where I also find a lot of new and unusual clothes. So, for me it is all about recycling and being opportunistic, while trying to save money and space in my flat. :)

7. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    My wardrobe stays the same until I slowly make my way into a semi new wardrobe. I buy new outfits here and there, but I generally wear the same outfit every day. My wardrobe consists of black tank tops, leggings, and jeans. It's the only thing I feel comfortable in, so a new wardrobe is not often needed.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Since I'm both cheap and poor, my wardrobe doesn't need any cleaning out! I never buy something if I don't think that I will wear it. I recently cleared out the top of my closet, and there I was a bunch of clothing from when I was a teenager, that I never wore! Seriously, some of the stuff still had the tags on it! I guess now I know why my Mom got so mad that I wore the same 5 t-shirts and two pairs of jeans constantly, haha. I ended up donating it all. But yeah, now that I buy my own clothing, I would never get something that I think I wouldn't wear. I mean, I do have some pieces that I don't wear all that often, but it's more so because they're for special occasions or outings, then them not being my style or something. For instance, I have this flowy blouse like top, but because of the material it's made out of, you can only wear it in the winter or late fall, and because of the style, it's only really apporpirate for an office or a "classy" party. And see as it's summer, and I haven't been to any "classy" parties lately, I haven't worn it in quite a while.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I sometimes find it hard to let go of some clothes that I really like design wise because I can't wear them anymore because I gained weight, so they are just stuck in my closet. I know I still can wear them when I lose weight, the only problem is that I don't know when will that happen! So needless to say, its been a while since I have cleared it. I really need to do some clearing up one of these days.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I clear it out every Christmas because that's when I buy the most clothes and therefore am able to replace the wardrobe I will be throwing out and also this is because it's much easier to feel motivated to do so when you know a new year is coming around. i also have some articles of clothing that are from way back, though, as I am also guilty of being disorganized and I tend to have some sections in my cabinet that I just don't bother with at all and so the contents in it are years old.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever clear out my wardrobe. That's because when I work outside, I always wear overalls, boots, etc. So the clothes I really ever need to replace are the overalls which I use while attending to my chores around the farm. Otherwise, most of the other clothes [since they are hardly ever worn, except maybe in the evenings when I'm done working] never get worn out fast.

It takes years for me to clear my wardrobe because among other things, I don't pile on weight . . .

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of pieces in my wardrobe that don't fit me, but I haven't had the heart to throw them out because they are very beautiful. I have been able to donate some of the less attractive items though, so there is hope for me. I know I need to buy myself some bigger clothes, but I haven't given up on the idea of losing weight yet. But I know my wardrobe could stand a few more better fitting items.

13. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I buy and update my closet and dresser every Christmas. I find way better clothing deals around that time then any other time of the year. I either give my old clothes to my mother or to a friend. I refuse to give to a goodwill as the workers there pocket most before putting it out on the floor.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't yet in my entire life. So I really have a lot of clothes, tons of them that I don't use. I want clear them out already but I feel lazy to do so. It would take a lot of time and tons of effort. I don't think I have enough of them for my wardrobe. I just don't want to clear them out without checking on them one by one. I might be throwing or giving away some clothes that are really important to me and those that have sentimental value, not to mention my favorite ones I was just not able to come across with for some years. Nevertheless I would still want to keep them in.

15. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    With some items I do it fairly often. Say if I'm at a thrift store and my eyes become bigger than my closet, or if there's no way I'll ever fit into a certain item again. I'm pretty bad with holding on to clothes, though. I still have some jeans from high school, and clothes that I'm convinced that I'll get around to sewing and patching up. The worst are all the clothes that are slightly too small that I still hold on to because I just know I'll fit into again one day!

16. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I keep anything in my wardrobe for as long as they can last. I have so many clothes that I received as a gift either for my birthday or Christmas and I really don't feel like getting rid of them even though I don't wear them often.

There will be two or three pieces that I decide not to wear anymore throughout the year so I just simply give them to others and buy a couple of new clothes if necessary.