How Often Do You Get New License Plates?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by MrsJones • Mar 6, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    When I went to the BMV for my annual validation sticker I was asked if I wanted to get new license plates. Then I was asked about the condition of those that I have, if they were readable, damaged, and if I had both plates. This was the first time that I've ever been asked these questions.

With the exception of when I bought my first Jeep and purchased personalized plates, I have had the same license plates for years. I just transferred registration to the new vehicle. Even though the cost is about the same to do this I decided not to get new ones.

Do you get new license plates each year? Is there a regulation in place where you are required to get new ones?

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I do not get new licence plates each year, people in my country only get new plates when they have bought a new car or they have bought a used car for the first time, or when the buy a used car they need new plates. Lol, there is no regulation in my country that requires the citizens to get a new licence plate, I was very surprised that this is done elsewhere in the world. very good development!

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I definitely don't get new ones every year. I generally only do it when I get a new vehicle. I didn't even have a choice with my most recent because I leased a car and it came with plates...so there wasn't really an option for new or transferring.

4. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I get my new license plate each year as I have to get the registration for it! It is not cheap so I am glad it only require once a year, other than that, I think we will all be broke!

5. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live once you by a car you get new license plates and as long as you have the car the plates stay with you. Once you decide to get rid of your car your plate can never be used again. You cannot pass you plates on to the buyer.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no reason to switch license plates every year, unless there's something wrong with the existing ones. It's not that hard to get new plates, but it's unnecessary for most people. You can keep the same plates for 50 years for all it matters as long as you keep the same vehicle and the plates remain in readable condition.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In my county, we don't get new license plates. we just get a sticker renewed. Nonetheless, the price isn't a discount from actual new tags. In fact, the sticker cost 50 USD a year and unlike with stuff bought from private companies, there is no way to get discounts.

Anyway, with so much sticker renewal stuff, I wonder how many new tags are being made. Note, in my state, it's probably prisoners who make them.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's something new for me because I have never ever got a new licence plate for any of my vehicles so far. I have had a number of cars and motorbikes but I don't remember I ever had to go for a replacement barring once when I got one rear plate broken due to negligence of another biker. However he paid for my broken plate and I got it replaced without having to pay anything from my own pocket.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Special car plates here costs a lot especially if you want a number that is out of the standard like your name perhaps or the 888 which is the most expensive because of the superstition of the Chinese in our country. Our old car’s number was 818 which is also lucky. When we bought a new car for my wife to replace that old car, the car salesman offered us an option to choose the number of the new car plate. My wife thought it was cute to have the same 818 for the new plate so she agreed and paid $100 for it. After a week, we got the new car’s plate with that lucky 818. I am not superstitious but maybe that 818 is giving my wife positive vibes in the thought that her car’s plate number is lucky.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Okay, now I got your point about number plates which in our country India are known as numbers on demand or VIP number plates . Numbers like 0001 to 0010 or all same digits besides sacred numbers like 786 (Muslims love this number) are always sold on very high price in our country but there is nothing like that in the country where I live in because you can ask any number (digit or alphabet) of your choice without paying anything extra in Australia.

#10Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017