How Often Do You Go Grocery Shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Adeal4u • May 18, 2012.

1. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    My family usually goes grocery shopping once a week while having one big trip every month to buy things in bulk like frozen foods, cans, and cartons. We burn through things fairly fast with our family of 6, so going frequently isn't much of a problem since we take turns going out and ask our relatives to pick up something if they're going to the same place.

2. Ziggybrah

ZiggybrahNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure, I still live with my parents but not for longer! Since I'm moving out this september I'm gonna have to learn upon myself all the dos of life, food shopping etc. I'm hoping it's going to be not as expensive as I think it is.

3. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I go once a week for groceries because well I have my two toddlers with me and they don't enjoy it as much at this age. The faster I can get out the better. Ever since I can remember my parents go get groceries like 3 times a week, my mom only buys stuff for like one or two days. I don't know why she just doesn't buy everything she needs instead of having to put up with traffic and long lines several times a week.

4. Toni6749

Toni6749New Member

Threads:
    I am single, no kids, just a boyfriend who occasionally stops by; I tend to shop once a week usually on Sundays. If I am really in a good mood to shop I can do all my shopping 2 weeks at a time but that’s rare.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It's just myself, my fiancee and our two cats. We live and eat modestly. We go once a week grocery shopping and spend $25 each. I as well don't go out often, though I do like to head to a Tim Hortons in midtown Toronto. Other than that, I'll stick with eating at home for most of the time!

6. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    I shop once per month. I make sure I get all the things I will need for the entire month because I loathe shopping. Walmart is always so crowded so I find myself shopping in the middle of the night because there are usually less people and the lines aren't as long. I usually have a cart full of groceries so it's best that I shop when there are substantially less people there.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go once a week, but I'd be open to going twice a week and buying less if the food I was buying began to spoil. I buy a lot of fruit and vegetables, but I don't want to buy too many things in bulk. So, if I know that I am going to eat everything that week, I'll go ahead and buy more than enough. If there is any chance that I won't, I'll buy a little and then just go back.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat the much and try to eat fresh as much I can, so I go to the store at least a week to keep fresh food in the house. I try to freeze as much as I can when there is a good sell.

9. RuthieB

RuthieBNew Member

Threads:
    We have four adults in the house, including 2 elderly parents. We go grocery shopping twice a week. Once to our regular grocery store for (no pink slime) beef and meats, the deli, and whatever else is on sale. The 2nd trip is to the closest big box superstore, Walmart, for packaged, frozen, bakery, and dry goods.

That way we take advantage of sales and best prices between the two stores. For some things, like meat, we only trust the grocery store's brand, so we still go there even though Walmart is cheaper.

10. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    I visit the grocery store literally every two weeks which is when me and my husband get paid. I always run out of something such as waters, toilet paper, lunch to bring to work etc. However, I try to cut down on how much I spend at the market as well so I can manage a budget. I strive to spend $100 and my husband will usually spend that same amount or a little less when we go to the grocery store.

11. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    We are a family of four, me and the three kids and I do a large grocery shop once a week. However, I usually find myself in the store probably once a day buying either items I have forgotten or run out of, such as milk, bread etc. I really need to start working out a way to do a more economical shop because at the moment I am spending far too much on groceries.

12. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Our family typically goes to the grocery store every week and a half or so, with maybe two or so smaller visits in between for specific things like a dinner ingredient. It's not that with only four people; it's less money to spend on food and such.

13. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well I'm not the one shopping for groceries but I do know that my mum goes at least 3 to 4 times a week! She always prefers to buy her produce, meats and fishes fresh so she chooses to make multiple trips a week rather than buy a truckload of food for the week or month and store them all up in the fridge. She just has something against frozen food so she always tries to get them fresh if she can and the only way to do so, is to visit the market regularly. I wouldn't have the patience to do so myself, but I'm really thankful for my mother who takes such great care of my family's nutrition!

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Twice a week with one very large monthly trip thrown in. There are several of us here and one of us is a baby. Another is in the middle of a growth spurt that would make bamboo blush. The food burns fast.

#34Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  15. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I try to go every other week and get everything in one trip. Unless we run out of something that cannot wait for the next shopping trip, that is what I try to stick with. We live in a small town and to get to the bigger stores is quite a drive. The local stores can be a bit pricer so it is best to wait if at all possible.

16. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    As I've got grocery next to my house, like 2 minutes walk, I go every time I need. Sometimes it's once a week, sometimes it's even every day. I don't need much but there are things I like having fresh. I remember trying to freeze carrots - totally insane idea :D Now I know it won't work and it's better just move my butt to the grocery when I need them;)

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make one big trip at the beginning of the month, and then go once a week to replace things as they run out, like milk and eggs. Sometimes if I have some really good coupons that coincide with a sale, I'll make a special trip to get the deal.

18. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    I go the grocery store almost everyday. I'm really bad at planning ahead and when I try and go to the store and buy groceries for the week I never end up wanting what i buy therefore resulting in me going everyday.

19. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I go about once a week. It's only the two of us, but I cook at home a lot more now so no need to go out to get food or takeout. When I do the grocery shopping I head to Costco for things in bulk and also stop at my local grocery store on the way home to get odds and ends.

20. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I shop almost every day, buying little and often to try and keep things fresh. I used to shop at the supermarket once a week because I thought they were cheaper, but I challenged myself not to go to one for a whole month a couple of years ago and realised I spent exactly the same! If I go to a small local shop I tend to buy what I need rather than 'offers' and I don't have to buy huge family sized packs of things. Plus, my money is going to independant retailers and they are so friendly it makes it a really enjoyable experience.