How Often Do You Go Grocery Shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Adeal4u • May 18, 2012.

1. Buck

BuckNew Member

Threads:
    I go 1-2 times a week. Although I make a list and try to be organised, there's always something I forget so I step by a shop nearly every day to buy some fruit or juices.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was doing one large grocery trip a month with a ton of coupons, and then I would just replace the milk when it ran out. Now I'm saving up a security deposit because I want to move, so I've cut back my grocery shopping to a couple of smaller trips and I'm gradually using up all the pasta and rice in my cupboards.

3. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I go grocery shopping once a week. Sometimes I may need to make an extra trip to the grocery store to purchase items that I run out of such as bread. I use to go shopping about every other week. Now, that i am married and have a newborn I have to go to the grocery store more often.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not in charge of doing that, it's actually my dad that does the shopping, and he does it like once a month, since we're just a small family.

5. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well their is only three of us so we just do a grocery shop twice a week. We like to stock up the freezer though. We have a chest freezer and sometimes we head over the boarder to Northern Ireland because its much cheaper and buy loads, lol.

6. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to make one big grocery trip at the end of the month using my shopper's rewards card and coupons. I read somewhere about the no spending challenge, where you try to use up as much of the food your fridge or pantry for a month. I'm thinking of trying that too.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to go like once every two weeks, an I was really good about sticking to that schedule and a budget in general. However, as I got older and more relaxed with my budget, I've gotten into a bad habit of running to the store - sometimes daily - to buy food and other ingredients. There were days where I would get up and just decide I was going to go buy my own rotisserie oven and make my own rotisserie chicken, for example. Or I will see some asian recipe online that I want to try out that has all sorts of ingredients such as fish sauce, fresh ginger, chili paste, and other stuff that I don't have on hand. I've blown a lot of money on groceries in recent years and I've been trying to reign that in and simplify things.

8. A.Pneuma

A.PneumaMember

Threads:
    twice a week, mainly for snacks

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We never go more than a week without buying food. We don't shop in grocery stores so our food all has a short shelf life.

10. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I do our grocery once a month. I always buy in bulk, so we don't need to go to the groceries many times except for the vegetables, fruits, meat and fish fresh milk. I always wanted the fresh one. So for those I say once a week, the rest is every month.

11. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I go grocery shopping about twice a month. I live alone and I used to cook single portions of everything. What I found is that I would end up tossing out food because it took me too long to get around to it. And I was going grocery shopping more. Now I cook regular portions and freeze my leftovers. It keeps me from having to throw away food AND money. I may make extra trips for fresh fruits and veggies.

12. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I go grocery shopping every other week. But these are mostly for household needs, snacks, and a couple of frozen goods. For fresh meat, fish and vegetables, I go to our local public market once a week so I can buy the goods fresh plus it's a bit cheaper than buying it in a supermarket. I get to choose whatever produce is in season so I get to save a lot of money. I really don't do shopping lists. I just usually get whatever I think I can save money from then plan my weekly menu from there.

13. jdp1986

jdp1986New Member

Threads:
    I grocery shop twice a month for my family of three, we consist of two adults and a ten month old. I detest grocery shopping as does my husband so we sit down and plan our meals ahead of time and buy what we need for said meals, this allows me to stay within our budget. I grocery shop around the pay period basically, so I shop for the first and the 15th of each month if you will, I do occasionally have to run to the store for something I missed, or something that the store was out of on my original visit, but I try my best to stick to twice a month.

14. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Normally, I'll go on one bigger stock-up trip a month. That's when I go ahead and buy the bulk of the things that we will need throughout the month. Then, I'll stop in once a week or so (sometimes more, sometimes less) to pick up fresh produce, fresh dairy, anything I might have forgotten on my big shopping trip or anything that I might need to prepare a recipe that I decided to make.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to go at least twice a week, but since I've been on a tight budget I started doing my grocery shopping once a week, maybe even less. I'll just get what I need and get out of the supermarket before I spot something I really want and can't afford! It sucks, cause I actually love to go grocery shopping!

16. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    It's just me, myself, and I. I go grocery shopping a couple of times a week. Typically, I don't buy a lot of things at once simply because I have to walk up four flights of stairs with all of my groceries. So it's just easier for me to do it that way. Also, I find I spend less money when I make smaller trips rather than one big one.

17. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I need to start cooking for the freezer. I've done it a few times and always love the convenience. One of the best things to do is to boil chicken then shred it and freeze it. It makes it so easy to prepare dinners. I think other freezer cooking recipes can be pretty awesome too.

18. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    My mom goes grocery shopping almost daily as she does not like to store food in refrigerators and prefers everything to be as fresh as possible. Also she cooks food daily twice and we never eat leftovers of afternoon at night and vice-versa.

19. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go to a hypermarket which sells things in bulk so I make sure that I really list down what I need and do only about 2 trips in a month. I would buy the ones which don't spoil easily. For more perishable items such as vegetables, meat and fruits, I would usually buy them once a week.

I think planning your groceries will help you save a lot because at least when you are in the grocery, you are not tempted to buy something unplanned. You basically just go directly to the shelves of what you need and that's it. You are able to stay within your budget.

20. trl1980

trl1980New Member

Threads:
    I go grocery shopping at least every other day. There are 5 of us who live in my house and my family is constantly over hanging out and eating. We just never know who is gonna stop by. I think we go through bread like it's water. A whole loaf of bread can be gone in one day. I've actually been to the grocery store two days in a row and will be going again today. I'm thinking I should buy stock in Publix & Walmart...lol.