How often do you go see a movie?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by xcmiller93x • May 8, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to the movies because the quality is just not good. I prefer to watch a Blu-ray because the picture is clearer than at the movie theater. I still don't understand why the movie theater doesn't have HD movie screens. They would make more money that way, it feels so old and dated.

2. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    Only a few times a year, there are not that many movies that are worth paying that kind of money for.

$14 for a ticket
    $6 for popcorn
    $3 for drink
    ----------------
    $23 total to see a movie once in theatres

$1 for DVD on Redbox
    $1 for popcorn from store
    $1 for drink
    ------------------------
    $3 total to see a movie once at home

Likin' the math?

3. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever go to the movies anymore. I think I go maybe once a year. It doesn't even have to do with the cost of the movie either. It's usually because I never find anything interesting enough for me to actually want to see it in theaters. I'd rather wait for it to come out on DVD or something.

4. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I also haven't been to the theater in about four years. I don't think it is a waste of money at all since they usually have cheap $4 ticket nights at the theater near my house but I don't go to the theater since I rather wait for the movie to come out on DVD so I can rent it for $1 from Redbox to watch it in the comfort of my own home. Well I do have a pretty great setup so it is still a big screen :D.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    We used to go quite frequently, but a lot of the movies we don't even enjoy and it's a big waste of money. My fiancee and I now head to the pictures three times a year. This year, we will be seeing "Prometheus," "The Dark Knight Rises" and "Skyfall." Everything else just doesn't interest me at all. Instead, we rent a lot of pictures from the first half of the 20th century and the 1960s. It's a lot more fun than watching nothing but commercials.

How much are tickets? $15? Bah!

6. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to the movies in ages. I can't be bothered to because there are not a lot of movies that are worth spending my money on. I would rather wait to rent the DVD or Blu-Ray and watch it at home. At least, I can fix my favourite goodies and beverages!

7. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    Not very often! Going to see a movie is extremely costly. My friend and I went to see Titanic in 3D when it came out, and it cost $25 for 2 tickets!!! How crazy is that?!? Unless there is something that I REALLY want to go see, I will not go to the movies.

8. graven29

graven29New Member

Threads:
    I wasn't going to the movies much at all - maybe once a year, but recently I have been on a movie kick - I have seen 4 in the last 3 months. 2 were amazing, and I couldn't stop talking about them. 2 were terrible and I wanted my time and money back. Yes, they are expensive, but I cut the costs a little bit:

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go very often. It's not even due to the rising costs of tickets. There has always needed to be a major reason for me to go to the movies. I really think there is just too much of a time commitment to it. The movie is going to be about 2-3 hours, I have to go down to the theater, I need time to actually buy the ticket and popcorn and then return home.

I'll wait until I can see it at home.

10. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I don't go watching movies in the big screen. Honestly, I stream most of my movies because I find it quite costly and a pain in the butt. I don't want regret the big bucks that I use to pay for my overpriced movie ticket. I only watch movies in the big screen if I think they are worthy watching in the cinemas. The last time I went out to watch something on the theater made me want to puke and almost killed me with boredom. I've been traumatized ever since.

11. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I go fairly once or month a so to the movies. It feels good getting out of the house once in a while and enjoying a relaxing night out to the movies with the wife.

12. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    My husband and I go on movie dates about once every other month. It would be more often if there are good movies in the line up.

13. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    This is the same story that many people have. It's the price of the tickets coupled with the price of food/drinks at the theater itself if you choose to purchase it. It's way past time for movie production companies to allow people the option of purchasing tickets at home and watching it from their computer or a device that can stream it like the PS3 or other devices that support such things. Not only would they make more money, the amount of people downloading the movie illegally would almost definitely decrease. They want more money and less illegal downloading, so it's the most logical option they have in my opinion.

14. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    These days, new movies just don't interest me as they used to, so it's a very rare thing, almost an annual thing if I could say so. That and the snacks they sell are ridiculously priced.

15. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Well assuming that I had the money, I would only go to rare movies that really caught my eye. There just does not seem to be any imagination anymore. Maybe it is just that writers have gotten lazy, I don't know. My last movie was the Star Trek movie, which my sister, who is a purist, hated. many others did too.

16. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely LOVE to go to the movies. I would go every evening if I could afford it. However, I tend to save it for a weekend getaway with the kids. I try to get in one good movie each weekend and sometimes two. It just depends on what's coming out and what I am interested in seeing. This weekend is a girls night out with Magic Mike!

17. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I agree with a lot of the people who said when they can afford to go to the movies, they go about 3 or 4 times a year. I mean, I guess I could go to the matinee's, but it seems I never make it out nowadays. Netflicks is the Debil (devil) for movie theaters (haha, j/k, kinda), as well as stunts pulled by folks like Mr. Holmes (in conjunction with the government, I feel).

With the ease and comfort of sitting back at your own home, especially in between grueling work hours, some people don't like going to the movies, and then spending so much money on snacks (if kids are present then you know they'll crave the snacks even more if you can't afford them, it seems, lol).

And I love the breakdown that psufootball (Commenter #22) gave above. Brilliant. :)

18. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I go about once a month. But it really varies. Sometimes I'll go a couple times a month, then not at all. It really depends on whats playing and whose around and wants to go see something. I do really love going to the movies though, its one of my favorite outings. I have a scene card though and still have some passes I won from a while ago. So it isn't too expensive.

19. YoungNThrifty

YoungNThriftyNew Member

Threads:
    Back when I was living that employed life I was quite the big spender. I'd go to the movies at least every other weekend. Sometimes I'd even go two weekends in a row. Since I lost my job, things have changed somewhat. I've gone to the movies about three times this year. The good news is I am living in a day and age where you can pay $1 to rent a movie from the Redbox. I'm a big fan of Zach Galifianakis so I might spend a bit of money to go see the Campaign later this month.

20. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Not very often, i usually only go to see the big releases like dark knight, avengers, etc...