How often do you go to the hairdresser?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Apr 1, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I admit my hair is very important to me. I'd like to have it cut and styled every three months but it simply costs too much. I think paying around $100 just for someone washing my hair, snipping off a bit here and there and blow drying it, is ridiculous. Some places try to charge even more.
    Luckily I found a nice professional Asian hair saloon that does everything for half the price, and their business is roaring. How come that hair saloons can charge so much? I might consider paying such a price if I knew that I am in good hands and will be happy with the result, but unfortunately it's always a risk for me to go to a new hairdresser.

2. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I go once every two months. My best friend works at a nice salon downtown Toronto, so she usually gets me a good deal. I know what you mean though, it is expensive here in Canada as well. I guess that is like anything, you are paying for a service in which you can not do yourself.

3. Galadriel

GaladrielNew Member

Threads:
    Wow, I wish that I could only go every 3 months! My hair is short so it requires a lot of maintenance. If you aren't too scared to do so, I would recommend trying to trim your own hair to lengthen time between salon visits. I bought a pair of shears (for $5 or so), and I use them often enough that it's worth it. Otherwise I would need to go to the salon every month.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will usually go every 3 or 4 months for a trim, but not more than that. I color my hair at home and moisturize it at home as well. Although my hair is pretty long, it's naturally soft and healthy (something I was lucky at to balance out my bad skin!), so it's pretty low maintenance! I have been thinking about getting some highlights on, but as that would mean I would need to go to the hairdresser more often I'm not sure if I'll end up doing it.

5. FrugalFranny

FrugalFrannyNew Member

Threads:

Wow! I had the same problem, but my mother found an Asian salon in Dallas,Tx. I live about 15 minutes from there. I think paying $100 is ridiculous, as well. Anyways, the Asian salon stylist that I have is THE BEST stylist ever. He is a male & he works wonders. He's like Edward Scissorhands. He knows I call him that too! LOL On top of that, he only charges $30 for a cut, shampoo & blow out/style all together. No, but really...I am Mexican-American with extremely thick hair & I haven't found anyone who can cut my hair & knows my hair as best as he does. I don't even feel uncomfortable or out of place that I am the only non-Asian like some foreign salons make you feel . I don't know what it is about Asian hair salons, but they are awesome!!! He even does color & highlights like a celebrity stylist. I keep telling him that he is going to be famous, and that I want to make him is own Instagram page & everything.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi FrugalFranny, that sounds absolutely great! You found somebody who actually understands your hair. Someone who has got a sense of how your face and hair work together, and who knows that certain styles simply don't suit your facial shape or personality. It can be a tall order to find someone who has got that artistic sense and flair.
    Here when you go to a saloon, they will often just give you a magazine and ask you to point out what style you want. If I say I want a combination of this one and a bit of that but not quite that much, etc. I frequently get rude and impatient answers that make me worry about the integrity of the hairdresser.
    I have now got a lovely Japanese hairdresser who gives me a traditional scalp and shoulder massage before she gets to work on my hair. She is funny, polite and extremely affordable. I adore her. :)

7. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    Geez! $100 every time you get your hair done? I could understand it costing that much if you were getting it washed, trimmed, highlights/dye, and styled, but to do something as simple as what you stated, that's way overpriced. I go to the salon about once every 3-4 weeks. I, however, am only being charged right around $50. To me that is the perfect price. I will never understand why some salons feel the need to try to rob their customers... Hoping that your new salon is working out for you!

8. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly haven't been to a hair dresser since my high school graduation, which was about 3 years ago! Wow, now that I think about it, that has been a pretty long time! Luckily I'm going to break that 3 year streak and get a nice hair cut next week before I head off to the States. My hair has gotten pretty long. I know people who go once a month and they change their hair colour constantly, isn't that a little damaging to the hair? Though, I'm planning on dying my tips red, I've only dyed it once when I cut it that time in high school.

9. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I main my own hair casue my daughter is a stylist and she basically keeps me updated on what to do to my hair, But I try to go to her shop at least every six months to have my ends clipped. That only if I need it done, other than that I main it myself.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is a simple shave so I do it myself. Even when I did go to the barbers once per month it was only £5 so that never amounted to more than £60 at absolute most. a £20 Shaver paid for itself pretty quickly though. Now I'm set for life.