How Often Do You Go To The Library?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Zyni • Feb 11, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I use to go all the time in school when I had to do research papers. Thinking back on it now kids today really have it made don't they with the Internet making such research more obtainable from home. Not that I minded going to the library in fact, I use to love to go there.

I loved it so much I grew up to actually work in my public library for a few years. The sad thing for me is that libraries at least in my area aren't what they use to be. Because of the Internet they have had to evolve in order to survive. Many are more computer labs, and other educational sources, not about books as much as they use to be.

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't drive, and there aren't any public libraries within walking-distance (even though my 'walking-distance' is a mile-or-so longer than the walking-distance of pretty-much anyone who has a car ... especially with gas-prices as low as they have been lately).

When I lived within walking-distance of a library, I would check out one-or-two comedy-novels per week; and I was starting to 'volunteer' there (which is how I imagine most of the staff there 'got their start' ... I guess I've kind of always idolized librarians at

:cool:)

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's actually depressing how long it's been since I have gone to a library. I remember it being the place we would all hang out after school when I was a young one. I would try to get my kids to do the same thing but they were never feeling it.
    "We have the INTERNET now MOM."
    "What would you do if we didn't have the internet?"
    "Learn at SCHOOL."
    "From?"
    "...Books?..."

*sigh*

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You might get the same response from telling them to 'go out & play.'

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Ha! Oh, no. Mommy don't play that one. There's no sitting around gaming in my house. They're in so many clubs & on so many teams I confuse who I'm dropping off where. They also know unless they want to work on their studies AFTER studying they better make friends & ride a bike. :D

6. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I was in high school I would go to the library almost every day it was opened. I loved to read and found a ton of books that interested me. I am a Sci-fi kind of person. These days I hardly go to the library and if I do it to do some research in the reference section.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I like sci-fi too, but I see I was in it more for the 'philosophical' (Michael Crichton's SPHERE, etc.) than for the techno-FX.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to go to our school library when I was a kid fairly often, then rarely when I was in high school and college. We don't have a public library in our city. Come to think of it, I have never seen one in other cities either.

9. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Libraries are the greatest places around. I find such peace there. It is like another world for me to enter into. It is a quiet place away from the noise of the world. It has so much to read about so many things. Libraries are my favorite places. I tend to go at least three or four times a month.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I go to my local library at least once a month. I love looking for new books to borrow and my kids like playing the games offered there. If anything it is somewhere to go to get out of the house that will not cost you any money. My library let's you print out 75 pages from the printer for free each week, so I do a lot of printing when I go and save myself on the cost of ink at home.

11. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I don't. I love owning my own books and having a collection I think books at the best friend a person can have you can lose yourself in them you can relate to them and you can also read them again and again. I love owning my book even if it is second hand it is a big thing because I love to have my bookshelf full and I'd love to take my time reading then going back to the part I like or maybe even reading them again. If a book is particularly enthralling I tend to read it to very fast pace but that doesn't mean I don't like owning it first

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I pretty much never go now. I used to practically live in the library! I even worked at one for many years.

Honestly, though, I have access to so much online that I just don't feel the urge to go out and visit the actual library much any more. Ah well.

13. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    Before university, I actually barely ever went to the library and didn't even spend much time on reading books. But now that I've been introduced to such a big variety of knowledge and information, I often have to stop myself from taking too many books from the library. I think I have at least 3 books checked out right now, and am already planning on which ones I want to get next.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still in school so i still go to the library to study or when i just need some quiet. I don't go to libraries outside of school though, there's really no need when i can find pretty much anything online.

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I try to get to the library once a week, but realistically it’s more like once every other week. That’s still much more frequently than I used to go, though. I also tend to borrow multiple books, so even if I can’t make it as often as I’d like, I’ve always got something to read. Or watch, if I'm borrowing a DVD. Online renewals are wonderful; I wish we’d had those when I was a kid.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the vastness of the internet, I almost sort of feel like libraries are a little obsolete in this day and age. But at the same time, there are a lot of books and information that cannot be accessed online, so libraries still have their uses. Still, I couldn't tell you the last time that I went into a library. I just know that it was years ago.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it varies how much I go to the library. I go a lot when I need to use their free wi fi. While I am there I often pick up a book or two. It Is a fun place to go when you just want to read or use the internet and not be bothered. The only problem with libraries is that you often to have to get on a long waiting list for popular books.

18. BeccaShopper

BeccaShopperNew Member

Threads:
    I go all the time, whether it's for movies, books, or to just study with the free wi-fi. My mom got me hooked on libraries at an early age- my brother and I used to have something called Book Fests, where we picked out tons of books and my mom would read them to us. Brings back a lot if memories. It's something I plan on doing with my own kids as well. The library is great!

19. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love the public library. Think about how much money you can save by borrowing books, dvd, and downloading music. My kids are still young 6 and 12 so I bring them at least once a week to the library to borrow books. I've always made a big deal about the library, that it's a special place to go and that books and reading are very important. My children have discovered the love of reading by going to the public library. I think it's a shame that more people don't take advantage of this wonderful place. Our public library even has free passes to our cities' museums.