How often do you go to the movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Gelsemium • Jun 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger going to the movies was a weekly ritual I had, but with time I lost that habit and now I can go to the movies maybe just three or four times per year. Is this happening to you as well or are you still that person that every single month goes to the movies? Is it for cost issues that you don't go or just because you have better things to do?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever go the movies these days.

Among other things it's because there's no theater in in the small town where I live and I wouldn't drive 100 or so miles to watch a movie when with a little patience I could get the DVD at $2 [I always buy used by the way]. So for me, I'd say the circumstances work for the benefit of my wallet.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the city where malls with movie theaters are just minutes of drive away but still I hardly ever go to see a movie - ever since I had kids. My husband and I used to go the the movies almost every week when we were younger and don't have kids. But now we only see a movie as a family and only if the movie is really, really, really interesting to our kids. And that would be once a year only (sometimes none at all in a year). :D

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to go around twice a month, but now I go once a month at most. I love going to the movies and really wish I went more often, but unfortunately the habit was kind of lost for me. Also where I currently live and work most of my friends are married or live far, so they have their own families to go out with, while I'm single and don't really enjoy going to the movies by myself.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It's something I don't do as much anymore as well. Prices have gotten too expensive to go to the movies too often anymore. I think the last time I went, I ended up spending around $20 for my ticket, some popcorn and a drink. While that's fine to spend every once in awhile, it's just not worth it with other good available options like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Redbox movies that are much cheaper options.

6. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Last year I went quite a lot because I received many free tickets, but now I go like maybe twice every 3 months? Its not as much as I used to. It because the prices of the tickets and the food are so high, I don't like how each person has to spend about $30 just to watch a single movie. People can hardly afford the movies :(

7. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    In the last few years I'd say I have been to the movies less than ten times. I used to go a lot more. But there's never really much I want to see. It is also quite expensive and with Netflix and movies on demand etc I don't really see the point. Can even watch in 3D at home now but it is still nice to go every now and then.

8. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I only watch movies at the cinema if it's a movie, that I have waited for some time. For example Avatar is one of the movies that should be enjoyed on the big screen simply because of the mind blowing special effects. Will do the same with every upcoming Star Wars film, simply because I'm a HUGE SW fan and couldn't possibly wait for those movies to get released on DVD/Blu Ray.

But for 'regular' movies, I prefer waiting for them to be released on a disc, so I can watch them in my living room. Though there hardly are any new movies, that I'm really interested to see.

9. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky that I have a friend that takes me to the movies usually once or twice a month, but sometimes more, depending on what's playing. So I end up seeing most of the popular movies, unless it's a touchy feely movie that just isn't my friend's taste. And sometimes I end up seeing movies that I wouldn't choose on my own. But since he is the one paying for it, I really can't complain. And he will splurge to see a movie in 3d, and those are the fun ones to see.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For many years, I could say that I only went to the movies once a year, at absolute most.

In this last year, though, I have actually gone at least 4 times, though. My current boyfriend really likes seeing new movies on the big screen, especially the Marvel movies, so we've gone out a bit more than I'm used to.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely go, but it also depends on what movies are coming out/out. I can honestly say I have gone more than a year without stepping foot in a movie theater, but then there was one month where I saw a movie every weekend. I think the main reason I don't go to the movie theater is because nothing out really interests me and I don't want to spend $15 to see something that isn't going to hold my attention.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    See, I'm such an awful person, but I usually only watch cams. Or wait for movies to come out on DVD and get a rip of that online. The movie where I live charges something like 9 dollars a ticket, and that's way too much for me. I'd rather get a cam of the movie online, that I can watch again and again if I want to, instead of paying 9 dollars (or 12 dollars if I go to the late night showings) to see it once. I also prefer watching things at home, because I can eat what ever I want, I can pause it and get up and walk around if I want too, also I can adjust the volume and don't have to worry about my ears buzzing from listening to overly loud sounds for an hour or two. Also, no noisy kids or adults, no worries about cell phones going off, no one kicking your seat or some one spilling something all over you, and no need to sneak in your food. I also just don't like theaters in generally.

So long story short, I very very rarely go to the movie theater. Maybe, once every two years and that's only someone else wants to go.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be so into going to the movies. Now, I can't even remember the name of the last movie that I saw. $15 movie tickets add to the situation. I also think a lot of cable and even regular TV shows are a lot more interesting than the movies in theaters.

Edit: The last movie I saw was the last Star Trek movie. It was a date. I did enjoy it though.

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    A few years back I use to go to the movies alot more than I do now, I don't know about it being a weekly ritual but at least once a month but for some reason over the past few years I go only maybe twice a year. I'm just not as into going to the movies anymore partly because movies nowadays seem so repetative and are not all that great to tell you the truth lol. If the movies get better, I'll probably go more.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is one factor true, the movies aren't as good as they used to be I think, but on the other hand I think that the determinant factor that makes me go less to the movies is that there are a lot of better contents on the TV and even online. I think overall there is more entertainment these days than we had 10 or 20 years ago and that is why less people go to the movies.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been going less and less frequently to cinemas as well, partly because not many of the new movies interest me as much anymore, and partly also because I can already get a similar experience at home so I don't feel as much need to go to a cinema. Nowadays, I'd go maybe once every few months, but honestly, I don't think my frequency has gone down that much since I've always been kind of picky with my movies even when I was in school. Also, I think there's just too much other things I can do now than just sit in front of a screen for three hours, and I've also grown used to checking or playing with my phone while watching a movie, unfortunately, which isn't allowed at cinemas so I usually just watch movies at home if I can.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that is what's happening with most people, the movies have a lot of competition now, it's not like it used to be before when you just went to the movies or had nothing else to do, these days we have a lot of offers in the area of entertainment and we know that if we wait a few months the movies will be in DVD or on TV... I am going 3-4 times per year, no more.

18. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Lately, I've been going to the movies often. I go to the theaters about 3 - 4 times a week. It's just that this time of the year, there are lots of good movies. Well, that's my opinion.

I sometimes get disappointed upon watching a movie in the theaters because I expected a lot from the movie beforehand. Haha! But, I still go to the movies all the same. I love watching movies! If I could only have a job just by watching a ton of movies, I'd be REALLY happy and contented!

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Wow, 3-4 times per week really? You are really a movie lover, I only know one person that does the same and that guy even writes reviews to a magazine and a site. I'd say that is no surprise that you get disappointed with some movies, come on, 3-4 times per week? There aren't that many good movies. Also, it's a big expense that you have by doing it...

20. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    When I first met my soon-to-be husband, we went on a movie date at least twice a month. Its actually one of my favorite things to do and if we can eat out before or after, that's even better! Once we got married and had our son, that obviously slowed down. Now, we go about every other month and we always make sure its a movie we really want to see so we aren't wasting money just because we can. Not that we can waste money anymore but you get what I'm saying. :)