How often do you go to the movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Gelsemium • Jun 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I can relate to what you are saying dusty, when two people start dating the tendency is to go out a lot, but once the couple settles down they tend to stay more in, I mean, they their own place, they can do whatever and don't spend money. Not that isn't good to go out, it's good and healthy, but not as often as before. ;)

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the movies a lot, but not to watch latest releases. There is a small alternative cinema near where I live that shows underground, art and cult movies for 2,50 Euros. I love the old theatre and its unique atmosphere. Occasionally I go to see a new film on "cheap Wednesdays" when you only pay half price. :)

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    When I was a teenager I used to go to the movies every single Monday. The prices were cheaper at Mondays (anyone remembers this or was this happening only in my country?) and I went with my school mates. As time passed by other forms of entertainment came along and that habit was lost, a lot if not most of the cinemas disappeared and today most cinemas are in the malls.

4. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to go to the movies with my girlfriend at least every other month. It's just a bit expensive for students so most of the time we end up watching it at home, because it's a lot cheaper than in a cinema. We still try to go as often as our budget allows us to go though.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    For me it's not even the fact of being expensive, I mean, if I just go two or three times per year it doesn't really make a difference, the fact is that I am so busy that I don't have time to go and when I do have time I find better things to do. The fact that there aren't great films doesn't pull me as well to the movies.

6. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    I usually go to the movies about 3-5 times a year at best, it used to be more like once a week when I lived near a dollar theater, but not so much anymore. It's somewhat about the cost but it's also about the movies playing at the theater near me, they never get the movies I want to see and when they do it's months after everyone else has already seen them, so it just kind of ruins it for me.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I wonder how the movies are still profitable. In fact, the whole movie panorama has changed, these days we see no more cinemas on the streets, most of them are in shopping malls, so this attracts more people there, but also cuts costs, pretty smart if you ask me, they have adapted well to these modern days.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Why bother going to the movies and pay for it when we have access to almost all the movies online for free? I rarely ever go to the movies nowadays, i only go if i know for sure that the movie will be great or if I like the actor in the movie. What i normally do is just wait for the new movies to be available online, granted it will take a few weeks to get a decent copy but i'm totally fine with waiting.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's a different experience oblivious, for example, my wife and kids went to the movies yesterday morning (yes, first time they ever went in the morning) and it was a great experience to them, they love the big scream and loud sound experience and they always eat something sweet, so that makes their day.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not that big on movies. It takes some amount of effort for me to sit down for two hours to watch one if I'm not completely excited for it, so I tend not to watch too many. Because if that I end up going to the movies once or twice a year to watch the movies I'm excited for. This year I went to see The Amazing Spiderman and How to Train Your Dragon 2. The latter exceeded my expectations, but Spiderman was very hit and miss, it did some things very well and other things extremely bad.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies often even when I was a kid it's just now that I've been going to the theaters a lot and by a lot I mean once a month or so. I only go to the movies when I want to hang out with someone.

12. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I used to go to movies quite often when I was in school, but now that I am in college with more responsibilities, I don't have time to go to movies. But I do go to movies every once in a while with my gf and friends. Sometimes when my family wants me to accompany them, I do go with them as well. With live streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Instan, there is no need to go to movies though.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have not seen a movie in the cinema in ages ever since downloading torrents became popular. I live near many malls, but I don't want to watch a movie in the cinema unless it's a CGI-heavy type of movie where you can see the special effects in a large screen. I'm content with the quiet, convenient, and hassle-free way of watching movies at home via the PC or a DVD.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Not that much, I often go to movies when I want to watch a movie that's just coming out. I don't of course go to watch every more that comes out, just those that look really interesting.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I went a lot when I was younger, but now I go very rarely and it's simply because of the price that it costs to be able to go. For two adults for the ticket alone it costs £16, then you have to pay £4 for parking, plus however much you want to spend on drinks and snacks (you're not allowed to take your own in, you get searched, so at the very least you would have to pay £4 for two bottles of water). So that's £24 in total for what is just a couple of hours of entertainment. Of course, if it's a film that I have been really looking forward to then I will pay it, but I won't go regularly just for the sake of things anymore, because I find that it is definitely too much for me to be able to afford.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not often at all. The last time I went to see a movie was 7 years ago. Now, I just watch them on DVDs or online. I did go through a time where I rented movies a couple of years ago, but I felt like I couldn't hold onto a DVD for too long, otherwise the charges would grow by the day. So, I stopped doing that pretty quickly.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Watching online it's a great free alternative and I feel that is the main reason why so many people stopped to go to the movies. Also, more contents are available on the TV, so why would we pay more when we can watch whatever we want in the pc or the television? Times have changed and we have seen better days to the movies.

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Not as much as i used to. It's just easier for us now to find movies online to stream or download. As for new movies, a couple of weeks give or take then you can enjoy watching an excellent copy of the movie online. Sometimes, when there's a really good 3D movie out, then i won't hesitate to watch it on imax.

19. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Going to the movies to see the latest films has become quite expensive, particularly if you visit the theaters frequently. Generally, I only go to the movies when there is a really good film out that I want to watch, that will also benefit from being seen on the big screen. Examples of these films include Interstellar and some Marvel films, which are visually stunning and enhanced by the theater quality. These types of films that I want to watch may come out 4-5 times a year, so that is around how often I go to the theaters. It is also more difficult to find a time that suits everyone if you are watching films with friends, as movies can be quite time consuming.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only go to the movies around once every three months. Movie tickets are relatively expensive in my country so I can't afford to go any more frequently. I feel it's a shame that tickets have got so expensive, I used to love going to the cinema at the weekend with my friends when I was a girl and today's kids just can't afford to do this anymore.