How Often Do You Invest in a New Computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by nwitt • Apr 19, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    How often do you plan to buy a new computer? Do you wait until the last minute and find that you need something right away? I did this the last time I needed a computer. It wasn't completely dead, but I pretty much had to buy something within a few weeks. Then, I got my Mac. That was 2.5 years ago and I love this baby. I am curious if you buy a computer every few years, or try to upgrade every 5 years, etc.

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    My last computer survived on life support for over a year before I became so frustrated that I bought a new one. I tend to buy computers that can be upgraded (this one being the exception). As I am comfortable poking around inside a machine, swapping out components is a cheaper way of making a machine last longer. I get about 4 years out of a machine before I feel that the time has come for a new one. I think we will see a bit of a slow down on new technology in the near future while completely new tech is developed. If I am correct, a machine may last 6 or more years before it becomes outmoded.

I like to shop around for technology before buying so I keep my eyes and ears open at all times. This way when I am in a hurry to buy a new machine, as least I have some idea of what I am looking for in terms of the current standards for memory, cpu speed etc.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't invested in a new computer. I buy a new computer when it breaks down. I figure if it still runs pretty well and I have all my data, that's all that matters. If I had a more steady income this may change but even though my laptop is old I don't feel an urgent need to replace it especially when I have this new desktop.

4. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    I like to upgrade "PARTS" in the computer once or twice a year! So I never really buy a new computer.
    Upgrading memory is cheap and easy and one of the BEST UPGRADES I ever made was switching to a SSD Hard Drive last year.
    I'm using a Samsung 840 PRO series, that are so amazing and fast!!! Something everyone should look into!

5. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a few parts at a time, usually one, so I save towards parts and not computers. I upgrade very rarely now, though, and try to get the most out of what I have. Eventually, all the old parts get replaced over the years. My case is at least 5 or 6 years old though.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a new computer because there's new tech in the market. That hardly matters to me because all I use my computer for is surfing the net and doing some basic 3D modeling. So as long as it works, there's no point in replacing it. So for me, it's not a matter of years but the duration of it's usefulness that will determine how long it'll take before getting myself a new computer.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever buy a new computer when my current one gives up. I bought a tablet about half a year ago, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would.
    My last laptop came from a cash converter and cost me around $450. It nearly 5 years before it developed a problem with the LCD screen. After that one couldn't be used anymore, I invested in brand new one that also has never let me down in three years. That's all I need.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Once in a blue moon really. Honestly, I only upgrade my laptop when it actually breaks down and costs more to repair than to replace. I replace my desktop every few years however, but that is because my friend will update his, and I get his previous desktop for a huge discount.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it really worth just upgrading? I wasn't sure with my laptop because a few keys are bad and the USB ports are busted. I might as well just buy a new computer when I have those issues.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Upgrading a laptop is way trickier than a desktop Nick, so I don't know up to what point it's viable to upgrade the laptop. Actually I'm with that dilemma right now, I don't know if it's worth it or should I really invest in a new laptop, almost 8 years old now!

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually tend to upgrade in pieces along the way.

What I mean is, I don't actually just buy a whole new computer. I just upgraded my video card a few months ago and last year, I upgraded to a new SATA hard drive. When my motherboard or CPU starts giving me issues, I'll replace them, too.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You're better off buying a new one at this point. Technology has come a long way in the last 8 years and you're unlikely to even be able to find the parts for your old laptop at a reasonable price....and it's a pain to do the repairs yourself.

In general, it really depends on what's wrong, though, and what the cost is. Replacing a keyboard, for example, might cost 15 bucks and stretch the life of a laptop by another year or two, which is definitely worth it.

13. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    I like to buy before the "end" because I think I would die without my computer, LOL!! That's being said, finances ultimately determine when I can buy a new pc or laptop. I think I will buy another laptop next since I love this one so much. With the time I spend online with games, and friends/email, it's just become a need, not a luxury, in my opinion:)

I don't think mine will last 5 years, not with using it as much as I do. Being a laptop, it may wear out more quickly then a pc. I've used Mac's on jobs over the years. I really enjoyed using them. I have always owned a pc though (IBM) so I don't think I would go into a Mac at this stage of my life, just too used to a pc. I think Mac users are the same, they get used to one and can't go to an IBM, to each his own hey:)

14. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'd LOVE to get a new computer every year with how often new tech comes out. Unfortunately, just not in the cards to spend that much on new computers. Usually, I'll get a new laptop every 3 years or so and update my desktop with new parts sporadically when I have some extra cash to spend.

15. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I always upgrade my PC on an yearly basis. I normally sell the old one and try to look for a better model. I like being in touch with the new technology always. I love the fact that I can be able to use the new computers rather than waiting until my current one is almost broken before I can get a new one.

16. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased a laptop once every three years. We already have 3 laptops in our house (actually 1 laptop, 1 netbook and 1 notebook). The first laptop that we had no longer functions properly. The two others still working well. I don't know if the trend will continue in the future as this kinda drains our pockets. These gadgets ain't cheap.

17. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    About once every 5 years. I am quite skilled in this department so I often will upgrade certain components, But I bought a new PC last year. I know some people who are sitll going strong on their 15 year old PC's so it's not always necessary unless you have specific tasks you want to complete.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just use mine until it gets too slow or breaks completely. I'm not that into having the latest models of computers, and as long as it works and is fast enough to support my needs, then I'm okay with it. I've been replacing my Windows laptops every 4 years average, but I have an old Mac laptop that is still very fast after 5 years, so I didn't end up replacing that one. The unfortunate thing is that I only ever use my Mac for browsing online and not for the heavier jobs because I'm not used to its interface work-wise, so I still have to stick with Windows computers when it comes to that.

19. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I don't consider even buying a new computer unless it's coughing up dust. Either that or the programs I'm constantly using have to stop functioniong correctly because of performance degradation. The computer I current have is rather nice and does exactly what I need it to do. It's far from a gaming rig (which I don't care), but everything else is gold. However, just two weeks ago my HDD died with no warnings so I have to replace that. Just maintenance, no replacement. =)

20. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy a computer on a time basis, I prefer to upgrade my existing hardware parts until the whole package goes off the grid. It's cheaper to just invest on a high end computer now, which will last you about 3-5 years (even 10) and then just upgrade the parts as needed. But usually I buy a new rig or upgrade every 3 - 5 years.