How Often Do You Invest in a New Computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by nwitt • Apr 19, 2014.

1. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I seem to go through laptops at an alarming rate! I have to buy a new one nearly every year due to me being very clumsy and heavy-handed. The last one I broke I dropped it down the stairs!

2. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I forgot to mention that as well. I never replaced any parts when it came to my PC, because nothing would usually go wrong for me to warrant doing so. I'd get a computer that I'm sure will last me a few years as I don't care for things like graphic cards and upgrading other things. Unfortunately, I don't think I've had a PC for as long as I expected because of bad luck. My first PC was Windows 98 I believe. It was just too poor in performance at one point and back then, there was little knowledge of upgrading things on your own. Then I got XP and I believe a virus destryoyed it. Couldn't boot it up and didn't have the money to repair it. Fast forward to now and my Inspiron desktop has a dead HDD. x_x This time I will just replace the 1TB and continue using.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a new computer until the old one is almost about to die. That decision is based on finances. I barely scraped together enough money to replace my 10 year old computer when support ended for XP.
    Even my new computer is a refurbished off lease office computer. I would love to have a brand new computer someday, but can't afford it now.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Since I don't have that much money at the moment, I buy a new one maybe every 5 years, or when I feel my hardware is severely outdated. I try to keep the computer running for as long as I can, and that usually entails installing Xubuntu once it starts to get old, and Lubuntu once it's around 7-10 years.

5. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy a computer based on my needs. If i had excess cash i would pretty much upgrade whenever the new thing was out, but truth be told i do not have that much expendable income and so i would rather just get something when i need it. I think that the price of technology is always going down and so for me that is a plus and definitely something worth smiling about when it comes to getting a new machine.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I only invest in a new computer when my computer breaks down. If I had money, I would have it repaired, but I won't use it the way I am using it before. I would just buy the latest model and the best possible I could afford. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a new computer if mine is still functioning at its best. I would consider it a waste of money, because I only have them limited. So I would rather have them saved, than spend them without so much of a great cause.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How often do I invest in a new computer? Only when the one I'm currently using conks out, then I'm off to the store. I don't feel the need to upgrade when the one I'm currently using works just fine, even if it can't play the latest games because of inadequate specs.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop is over 2yrs old now and it's still runs pretty smoothly with only minor lag issues. The keyboard though is sort of messed up because some letters needs to be pushed a little harder for it to respond and that annoys me so much. Lately, I've been thinking of getting a new laptop actually but then I've decided maybe I'll just get a new one after Windows 10's release which will be early next year i think. :p

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I invest in a new computer once in every 4-5 years. I make sure that I take a PC that will last for at least four years. Currently I own a VAIO laptop and I totally love it. I prefer to change after 4-5 years because after some years you always get new OS and different features seen in previous models.

10. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I bought a Macbook Pro about three years ago and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I had a Dell before and it ran very slow towards the end, so that's when I invested in new laptop. I'm judging that I should get a few more years out of my mac at this point. I just need to replace my fan and that should solve the heat problem that I am experiencing. I try to get as much use out of my stuff as I can. I figure that since I spent a little over $1000.00 on my laptop (I got it on a deal at Best Buy and I had points built up from their reward program), if I have it for 4 or 5 years it equals out to a good investment.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently my computer got a virus that killed it dead as a door knob. A friend was able to get me up again but it is not right. I do have to get a new one soon, I have my heart set on the one of the new desktop systems. The MAC is awsome but a little out of my budget.

12. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the next one when the previous one breaks. I am on my computer often, but not enough to justify buying one every one or two years. Not to mention, eventually tablets will be enough, so then I'll probably go for the fastest, but cheapest computer and not worry about the lifespan at all.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I use a PC so it's not really a yearly expense for me. Usually I just tend to change some parts and replace them with new ones and it's all running great all the same. I think I only spend money on my computer every 2 - 5 years depending on how much I needed to.