How Often Do You Invest in a New Phone?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by nwitt • Apr 17, 2014.

1. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    To be honest I don't actually upgrade. I always use my phones until the last minute they work, even if the screen is a little bit broken or the battery life is starting to die. When they stop working I just pick a similar one, I'm not a really complicated man with this things.

2. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    The longest time for me from old phone to new was seven years. That was between Nokia 3310 to Nokia 6500 slide. That was because of the camera, mp3 player, and the radio. Then from the Nokia to Samsung Galaxy Y was four years because of the Wi-fi capability of the new phone. So, to answer the question, I don't have a specific time frame to change phones. It's only when I find something good in a new one, or when I am finding some specifications that are not in my old model when I invest in a new phone. However, I might not change phones for the next four years when all I ever want for a phone are just the basic call and text, calendar, alarm, radio, wireless capabilities, and a simple camera.

3. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I think I am on track for once every 4-5 years. I guess I like to get every last penny's worth out of my phones. I currently have an Iphone 4, which does everything I need it to do for me. I got the phone almost 4 years ago. I think I will upgrade possibly next year. My biggest fear is if I will be able to adjust to a larger phone...

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just buying because it's the new model you want will prove to be quite costly.

Constantly upgrading phones even if you sell the old phone never is advisable because the most you'll get from your old phone probably is 50%. Each time you sell an old phone you'll be losing more than 50% of the money you spent on it. Why do it if you don't need a new phone? IMHO one should buy a new phone only when they need one.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too don't buy a new phone just for the sake of buying one, or worse still, keeping up appearances. Like Denis Hard says, it could prove extremely expensive, and I'm just not willing to throw away money. I usually use my phone until something goes wrong or the phone stops working.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Around every 2 years. I will then sell my old handset to pay for the initial outlay of the new phone, so more often than not it doesn't cost me too much. My phone is one of the few luxuries I really don't want to do without, so even though I will do my best to save money most of the time, I will always make sure that I have a decent phone, as I like to be able to keep in touch with people in that way.

7. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I am probably one of the few who is fine with the technology of my current smart phone. Typically, I don't purchase phones unless the current one is damaged. Who wants to spend $400 + on a phone that is going to be out of date in 40 days? Cellphone companies are the biggest consumer ripoff. I'm pretty sure mass production does not cost more than $50 per phone. Please forgive me if i'm misquoting numbers, I'm just using them as an example.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I also try to use my phone for as long as i can but my last phone, i only got it for over a year and upgraded to iPHone 6. I'm planning to have this for a couple of years. This phone is beautiful though and i don't mind if i get stuck with this phone forever.

9. mett1982

mett1982New Member

Threads:
    Like you, I usually get a new phone every two year when I am eligible for a new upgrade. My most recent phone was the LG G3 and I absolutely loved it. I was planning on keeping it even after my upgrade. Unfortunately my LG G3 touchscreen just stopped working one day. I tried everything to try to fix it but ultimately I had to switch back to my old phone. Right now I'm using the Lucid 3 by LG and I hate it. Compared to my G3 this phone is so bad. My upgrade is valid until October too. So I have another 8 months with this awful phone. I can't wait for my new upgrade. I think I'm going to go with an iPhone this time. I say that every year but I really think I'm going to go through with it this time!

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    When the old one breaks. I paid £45 for my current smart phone and it does everything an iPhone 6 would. I don't see the point in getting a top of the range one unless your contract gives it to you for free.

11. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    More than a year .

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have had my current phone for nearly two years and it is doing just fine. I would like to get a new one but financially I am not going to be doing that in the near future. It still does everything I want it to and the apps work fine so there really is no reason for me to get a new one. It is just a matter of want versus a matter of need. I just want one because it is new and because my sister got a new one so I want one too. But I will have to wait for a long while until I can afford one.

13. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't get a new phone unless my old one is broken. This time my husband insisted I upgrade because I had an opportunity to get a job online on my smartphone. I had to have a newer version though so he got me a new one. But usually I wait about a year and by that time I have probably accidentally dropped it and it broke. I don't care abut rushing to get the newest thing out. I find one I'm satisfied with and stick with it.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually wait as long as possible to upgrade my phone, which means I usually end up getting one free or very cheap. I'm not someone who has to have the latest and greatest. If I like my phone, I'll keep it for a long time, often even after I'm eligible for another one. The last one I had, I only traded in because the battery died, and a new battery would have cost more than a new phone did.

Other things are more important to me, plus I just don't like spending more than I think something is worth.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am exactly the same. I am definitely not one who needs to have the latest gadgets, unless those gadgets have features that I truly want or need. Usually they do not, and a 'lesser' model and or brand will do the things that I want and need out of a phone perfectly - sometimes even better than those that cost a lot of money.

16. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I have had my galaxy S3 for about 5 years now. I haven't had any problems with it. On my plan you have to pay for your phone and they are hundreds of dollars. Once this one was paid off I just couldn't justify spending the money on another one. I have invested in two otter boxes during the time I have had it. they were each about $80. My phone itself is in near perfect condition with no scratches. I have had to replace the battery once and I'm about to get another new battery. Batteries are only supposed to last about a year. I don't think people realize that and often think the phone itself is not working and buy a new one. It is much cheaper to replace the battery than to replace the phone.

17. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't invest in a new phone quite often. Right now, I still have the iPhone 5S and it still works great. The only issue I have with it is that the power button is stuck. Aside from that, it still has great battery life, good camera and no other issues. I intend to keep my phone with me until it dies. Until then, I won't be buying anything new.

This is mostly because gadgets depreciate in value. I don't see the point in buying and buying the latest model just to find that its value will decrease over time. As for me, as long as it can surf the internet, take pictures and do its job, I won't be abandoning my phone just yet.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I just tend to buy a new phone if my old phone breaks. I had to get a new phone just this week because my old one broke. You are supposed to be able to easily transfer apps from one phone to the other since it is the same make and model however, I have not discovered the secret!

19. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    The short answer for me is not nearly enough. I am one of those people who always says they are going to wait until the price drops, and then when it does there are already newer versions and then the cycle just repeats itself and I end up being frustrated with a phone that doesn't work or having to spend too much money. I might have to break the cycle soon though and get the new Galaxy when it comes out.

20. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I'm not the type of person who buys a new phone just because a new model came out. I've had my Motorola smartphone for three years now and I'm satisfied with it. There have been a few problems, but nothing what would call for a new phone so far. I think I won't buy a new phone for as long as my current one works fine. This will probably be a long time because my phone seems to be very durable - I have dropped it so many times, sometimes on concrete, but it still works! Once I even dropped into the toilet, but it was ok after drying up! :D