How often do you paint your walls?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by prettycolors • Oct 9, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I'm thinking at the kitchen walls. If you're cooking a lot all that steam and smells tend to enter the walls and darken the paint (even when you're using a cooker hood). Not to mention what happens when you're a smoker. The paint and working hands (if you're not doing it yourself) cost quite a bit so I know that people rarely re-paint the walls. What about you?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can take a long while before painting my walls. I mostly use only two rooms in my house. The living room and the kitchen. The walls on the living room have pictures all over them so I never need to paint the walls. When the pictures get old, I replace them. My kitchen walls get a touch up occasionally when the paint is peeling off. It can take a number of years. It's been 4 years since I painted the kitchen walls.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We just had the interior of our home painted last year and it was about 8 years since the last time. It really needed it just from all the wear and tear with 6 people living in our home. The main reason we did it when we did was because I was tired of the color. It was painted basically all pastel colors and I wanted to go a little bit bolder. Needed a change!!!

I love how it looks now!!!

Danyel :)

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How often the house gets repainted depends on whether or not there are children in the house, children tend to put their hands on the walls more often than adults or write on the walls. Cooking and smoking also can cause the need to paint the walls more often than a house that does not have smokers in the house. Also a very good reason to pain the walls is because you want to see a different color on the walls. Out house needs to be painted, it has been about 5 years since it was painted and the wear on the color is showing there were kids in the house also.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's ideal that we paint our walls every year, because they stick out every year, or I think it's ideal that we replace the kinds of paints that we use. But ideal is ideal. What really happens is far from it. Even though that are wall paints are already disintegrating, we still don't repaint the walls. We wait until there's an occasion that will actually push us to do that thing like the coming of a holiday or simply when we want to impress visitors.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Never...
    I'm going too though, but that's just because I'm going to sell the house I'm at right now...
    Seriously... Ain't nobody got time for that... Life's too short to be painting walls every year.

I'm also having a Deja Vu as I'm typing this so, there's that...

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Almost never. In fact, it has only been three years since we last had our walls painted. Before that, it took ten years or more. Paint here is very expensive aside from the labor fee, so we don't want to have renovations often.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't the residue from smoking permeate through the paint even if you paint over it? I've smoked for many years, so unfortunately I am not as sensitive to the smell of it as non smokers are, so I don't immediately notice it in a room. But I'm thinking as soon as it starts getting warm or you turn your heaters on, that smell will still come through. It seems like it might be a good idea to wash your walls thoroughly first to remove that residue before simply painting over it.

I've been living in apartments since I moved out, and although we were allowed to paint the walls, we were also responsible for painting them back to their original color when we moved out. I just never bothered to paint my apartment walls because I know how stressful it is to move, the last thing I want to be doing is re-painting walls after moving all those boxes and furniture.

If I finally get a condo or a small house though, painting the walls is one of the first things I will do.