How often do you pay for utilities?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Hedonologist • Jan 21, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    How frequently is your gas/electric bill? 6 months? Quarterly? Monthly?

I like the ability to pay as frequently as I like with E.on. I usually request a bill monthly, although sometimes It just deducts it from my credit if I have decided to load up the account more heavily beforehand.

2. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I get an electric bill every month and send my payment right away. I can't imagine life without power, so I never delay payment. My company does offer an economy billing method in which they estimate your yearly bill and then divide the total by 12 so that you are paying the same amount each month. I haven't opted for that method but it does add an element of certainty to one's budgeting to know exactly how much your monthly bill will be.

Our gas is supplied by a separate company and we monitor the tank and usually need a refill once or twice a year at most. So, we really don't get a bill for that one, we just call the company and request a delivery as needed.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All my bills are monthly because I don't like to accumulate expenses, I have a monthly salary and that salary will have to cover all my expenses or I will be in trouble. This one time my electricity company changed my bill without telling me and it started arriving to my home every two months only, I had to complain about it and made them change it, it's not convenient to me at all!

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I have to pay once a month.

Now, I have all of my utilities through one company...I hate it. I have water, garbage pickup, sewer AND electric service through the town that I live in.

You wouldn't believe how high my bills are -- my last one was almost $600! Our house is NOT big, and there are only two of us!

I have never had utility bills this high.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    All my bills are monthly as well. I'll always pay them as soon as possible once I have received the bills. I don't like holding up when it comes to bills, makes me uneasy like carrying something on my back.

6. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    Mine are also paid monthly. I hate the electric company I have and can't wait to be able to move. I really feel that they cheat people out of their money. My electric bill is so high even though we manage how much electricity we use. We turn lights off in rooms we aren't in, we unplug appliances when they aren't in use, etc. Yet still our bill is sky high.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Ours also come in monthly and we pay for it monthly as well. I also hate our electric company because the 'other' charges are more expensive than the actual consumption. These other charges make up 51-52% of the total cost. How I wish solar power becomes mainstream already so that these power companies would beg us to get their services instead.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our bills are all paid monthly. Now we only have the water, cable, and electric bill to take care of because we just had our landline subscription cut off a few months ago because no one was using it anymore.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Here in PR the electricity bill is paid monthly, however my rent includes utilities so I just pay one monthly rent payment and that's it. The only thing is not included is gas, but since we only use it for our gas stove the small tank lasts a lot, about 2-3 months depending how much we cook. When it's empty there's a company that switches it out for a full one. Also I pay for internet monthly.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We get our bills monthly and I pay them monthly. We don't have any other options. I didn't know that it was possible for anyone to get a quarterly bill. I don't think I would want to let my utility expenses pile up for that long. If I had the option of paying quarterly ,those bills would be huge.

11. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    You get billed monthly so I assume everyone has to pay on the monthly due date. Read the fine print and your current monthly usage and how much per kilowatt hour. Make sure everything is on the up and up.

12. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've thought about putting money forward rather than waiting for a monthly bill, but since I live with two other roommates it's a bit more complicated. Normally we have to wait for the bill then split it the three ways. I wouldn't dare do a quarterly bill... it would be massive. Monthly is best for my current situation.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Mine are all monthly, too. I've never seen the option to do them quarterly or anything. The only thing I have the chance to do quarterly or yearly is insurance (and that comes with a discount).

14. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I pay my utilities monthly. I currently live in an apartment so water bill is free of charge. The gas bill is included in the rent which causes me to just make the gas payment asking with the rent. My electric bill is the only bill i pay separate from the rent. With gas and lights combined, i only pay about 80 on average between the two.

15. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    When me and my fiancé first moved in together we got a house. So all our bills were separate. So when it was time to pay them after rent we would only have enough to pay half the bills and then get extensions on the other. It was hard keeping up. So we decided to move into an apartment now our bills are cheaper and we are never behind which is really good. I love it but because we have been saving we are ready for another house.

16. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    In Jamaica where I live, everybody who pays utility bills pay once per month, for the entire year, utility bills include the water and the electricity bill. The water bill isn't so bad, but the electricity cost in Jamaica is very high, I think, if my memory serves me well, we pay 0.40cents US per kilowatt hour used, so, modest use of the electricity will cost us about $100-120 US monthly, and from what I know, it can be much lower than that-but...that's how it is for now.

17. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    I honestly didn't know there was a choice! I get my bills sent monthly so have always just paid monthly. I know for the electric bill you can choose to do what the specific month costs or do the yearly average each month so it's consistent, but have never tried it that way. How do you go about paying quarterly or every six months? It would at least be nice to have the option if you had a really good month to get ahead for later in the year!

18. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I pay for mines every six months. I like paying them in advance so this way I'm sure that if I go broke I still have enough time to find a way to make money before I'm they're going to cut out my utilities.