How Often Do You Really Tip?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Sep 15, 2015.

1. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:

I go by the service if I am provided with good service than I usually tip very nicely but if I have someone who is rude and just has that I don't care attitude than I don't tip. So basically I tip according to the service.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Like some posters here, I never thought to tip the cable guy. The closest I've been is offering a cold drink on a hot day. Otherwise, it's my understanding that they make an okay living, though they may be overworked on a weekend.

3. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    I almost never tip unless I've received a really excellent service. But in my country you're not supposed to tip people as they are expected to earn at least minimum wage working at a restaurant or cafe. I never understood the tipping thing - why should your boss not pay you enough to live for the work you do? It weirdly seems like waiters have to beg for those extra dollars (why isn't it considered degrading?) and have their life depend on luck (what if most of their costumers don't pay the tip although the service was good?).

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of people don't know that though, and then there are the people who if they did know it, they'd just pay the service charge anyway, because they don't want to deal with the embarrassment of making a scene. But screw that. In that situation, even if I was on a date, I'd be more than willing to tell them to go back and re-calculate the bill so that I am paying for what I want to pay for. These people are so our of order.

5. Bonnie

BonnieNew Member

Threads:
    I always tip in a full service restaurant. The % of the tip varies from 10 – 20 % based on the level of service and my overall experience.

I tip for hair and spa services, taxi drivers, bell hops, hotel housekeeping, food delivery.
    I do not tip for self-serve food or coffee bars, dry-cleaning or retail shopping.

If I hire someone for labor around the house such as moving, cleaning, yard work if I receive exceptional service or the job ends up being way more than expected I will tip generously. For a service call for cable hook up etc. I have never thought to tip.

6. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I tip all of the time. The only time I won't tip is when the service is lousy. If they do a good job and treat me like I am important, I will tip. Also, my boyfriend is a server and he has a lot of horror stories about guests who don't tip him. I feel sorry for him so I don't want to put someone else in that position. I try to tip five or more dollars depending on the service and how much money I can spare.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It all depends on where I am and how much money I have at the time. If I'm at a fancy restaurant I always leave a good tip. If I'm tight on cash I rarely, if ever, tip though.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Unless I'm in a country where tipping is the norm - rarely if ever - mainly because where I live - apart from some of the tourist areas where gratuities are now sometimes included in the price - or if not - then leaving the small change after paying the bill - but nothing more - is generally considered acceptable - leaving a tip is not customary or expected and is in fact more often than not considered insulting.

However although we don't tip in monetary terms - if someone is doing some work for you - like the cable guys for example - it is generally expected and always very much appreciated if you offer them some kind of refreshment - a beer, coffee or a soft drink or better still - if you grow your own produce - the opportunity to pick a few fruits or vegetables to take home to their family.

9. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I always tip although sometimes I won't if the service is really crappy and horrible but for the most part I never had to keep a tip so far. I've worked as a service crew in a restaurant before so I know the hardships so I almost always tip and besides, a $1 tip is better than having none at all.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    One time I was at a fancy restaurant with a friend who I hadn't connected with for some time. I paid for my meal and then the waiter came up and lingered for a tip. I told him he wasn't getting one, in so many words, because I didn't want to tip. Because the restaurant was a fancy one, and my friend likes to make out that she can keep up with the Jones', she gave away her last few coins, and then when she saw that I hadn't he was somewhat upset. But by then it was too late, because then her purse was empty. I don't mind people tipping, but do it because you want to and not because there is social pressure to do so.

11. Glcameron

GlcameronNew Member

Threads:
    I try to tip someone every single time I go up and I put myself in the position of that particular waiter. I don't want to think about the fact that matter that it was me and myself and I was supporting my children that someone wouldn't know you miss him knowing the fact that I was getting paid less than $5 an hour. I think it's important for everyone to kind of realized that being a waiter or waitress kind of put you in this position where you're at the mercy of someone's particular mood that day. Someone could come in with a fantastic mood think at your service is excellent and decide they want to leave you a tip or someone to come in there with a bad mood and decide that you were lower than them there for you don't deserve to be paid. So I always tip.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When life was hard, we still gave tips although just a small amount. But when our finances got better, the tip got bigger. It is our policy to leave a tip for the food server and anyone who renders service to us like the porter in the supermarket who would push the shopping cart towards our car and help us unload the groceries and onto the car. That's one good way of sharing our blessings to other people.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    I tipped the other day. it wasn't a lot. Basically, I only had a certain amount of money and it was in the form of a note, and I paid for my things, and the lady behind the till was very nice and approachable. She even offered to give me a bag, and I loved her energy, so when it came time for her to give me my change, I told her to keep the change. It was only about fifty pence, but I felt like she deserved it. Tipping has to be of my own accord.

14. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    Tipping is such a tricky thing. Eating establishments always expect a tip even when service was mediocre. Call me a stickler, but is waitresses are that worried about tips to pay for their basic needs; then it should occur to them that they should either get a second job or a better paying job. When I think of a waitress job, I always think it's only for college students anyways. I've heard about on military installations that you tip your base grocery store baggers and they took down on you if you don't do so. I think tipping the baggers would only be appropriate is if you they bagged your items AND took it out to your vehicle. I would definitely tip them about $5 for their time.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First of all, look at the receipt as soon as you receive your bill. If you charged you for their service, then please don't tip anymore as doing so would be redundant. A service charge is more costly than the usual amount customers give to waiters and waitresses. However, if you have extra cash at your disposal and are feeling quite generous, then tip however much you want to.