How often do you replace your cosmetics?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by maddie • Oct 15, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I was cleaning out the other day and thought some of my cosmetics were more than a year old and threw them out. How often do you throw out your cosmetics? My beautician friends says that we should do this more often.

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I use make-up products very sparingly, so hardly have a big collection. But, what I do have are replaced every six months or so. One never knows the chemical changes that take place in these products over time, and many of these items don't come with an expiry date on the box. But I found this

that explains the expiration dates of makeup products.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've had some of my stuff for several years, but the colours still seem to be true, and I don't get any adverse skin reactions. I assume from that that the cosmetics are still okay to use. If I notice that something has changed composition, I'll bin it, but generally I just use my stuff until it runs out. I don't see the point in throwing something out just because you've had it a while.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use many cosmetics. The only cosmetics I use are a natural deodorant and I replace it when it runs out after a few months. I use baking soda to clean my teeth and when I feel I need to moisturise my skin I use olive oil or coconut oil.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We should definitely throw them out more often. Most are only intended to last for a few months.... and they can pass on lovely germs that can lead to infections, so all the more reason to ditch them regularly.

Unfortunately, I don't follow my own advice. I tend to keep them way too long because they're expensive and so long as they still somewhat work, I don't like getting rid of them.

6. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly I use up my beauty products until they are done. However for those products that I rarely use I throw out after close to a year. I've heard the same thing about throwing out old makeup closer to every 3-4 months.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep my cosmetics until they are used up. Mascara is the only thing I really worry about, but I use it up fairly quickly. Lipstick too. It doesn't last for months! I do have some eyebrow pencils and eyeliners that have been around for a long time. I haven't experienced any adverse effects. But at the first sign of something being amiss, in the trash it goes.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I heard that make up accumulates germs and bacteria very quickly. If I am not using it after a few weeks I toss it. If I bought it and it isn't what I expected I return it right away. I used to accumulate a lot of useless makeup that way. Its just a germ party waiting to happen.

9. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I separate the cosmetics I'm not using at the time in a separate bag. sometimes I take them out and see if I want to use them. After a few months, if I have not used them more than once or twice, they go in the garbage. Otherwise, my bags would be stuffed and brimming with mostly unused products. My main problem is having very sensitive skin. I often don't know how a product is going to work until I use it for awhile, and many do make me break out.

10. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I think I replace cosmetics like every 2 weeks, I just see something I like and I buy it. I thank God for my mom because I am sort of a shopoholic sometimes. I really don't want my cosmetics to get any germs so I switch out often.

11. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I don't wear makeup like eyeshadow, mascara, foundation, blush, etc. so this would not apply to me. However, I do wear a lot of nail polish and lip gloss. I never replace my nail polish or things like that. I have some from high school (10 years old now) that I still use every once in a while. It works just fine and I love the color. My face wash, lip gloss and shampoo I replace whenever it runs out. Perhaps I should replace my lip gloss more often, but I don't think I have ever gotten sick off of it. This is a good topic and is probably one that I should revisit to think about more often. :)

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow! that is a little too often, don't you think? You must be spending a fortune on them.
    My problem is I hardly use much of anything. Most of my cosmetics are three quarter full, it feels really bad to chuck them in the bin. Lipsticks and pressed powder are what I use regularly and I replace them often. I just cleared out my vanity case... now I have lots of room in there ... but I may consider it really hard before I invest in my next lot of cosmetics.

13. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I don't throw them out as often as the beauty magazines and experts say to. I pretty much just use mine up. I don't throw them away until they are almost gone unless it's something I find I'm not using. Then it's pointless to keep it. Mascara is an exception, I try not to keep it more than 6 months. I mainly use pencil eyeliners, where I can sharpen them. If I used one that doesn't sharpen then I would do the same with those as well.

14. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I replace my cosmetics when they run out or their date expires. I wouldn't use any product which I have for more than 1 year. Recently, when I was cleaning my bathroom, I discovered some unused old cosmetics and I had to throw them away.