How Often Do You Replace Your Toothbrush?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Colebra • Jan 30, 2016.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    It seems that in less than a month my toothbrushes are always worn out...
    I always buy the cheap stuff.

This worries me on two different levels:

- I'm spending a lot on toothbrushes.
    - And because their worn out by the end of the month, I'm not cleaning my teeth properly.

Do you guys have any tips?
    Is there a particular brand that lasts longer?
    Is there a way to resuscitate worn out toothbrushes?

Thanks for sharing!
    Stay frosty.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that I have never had this problem. Nobody in my household seems to have this problem either. But maybe we a re following a different formula than you. We change our toothbrushes every six months, but when we buy toothbrushes, we either buy quality ones, or middle of the road quality toothbrushes. Never the cheap ones.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember during our elementary years, our class adviser would tell us "it is the first day of the month, tell your parents to buy you a new toothbrush." Until now I still don't know if that is correct - changing toothbrush every month. In our house, it is common to buy a new toothbrush every 3 months, that would be 4 toothbrushes in a year. Thats's the reason why I buy toothbrush by bulk since it is always cheaper.

4. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I advise you to buy expensive toothbrushes instead of the cheap ones. You'd notice that you could actually save more. I change my toothbrush every 3-4 months only. I make sure I keep it clean always. I buy steripods for my toothbrushes, they're this clamps that serve as toothbrush covers.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I change mine every few months. If you're running through them very quickly then you should consider getting the more expensive ones because they really do make a difference. Electric toothbrushes are also good option to consider since you can apply the right amount of pressure and it might take longer to wear them out that way. I've used both cheap and expensive brushes and I can say there really is a difference between them but as for effectivity I'm sure they both work just fine as long as they are in good shape.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy my toothbrushes at Costco. When they have a Costco coupon for the Oral B toothbrushes it's a great deal. I find the toothbrushes they sell at Costco to be all top quality toothbrushes and they sell them in large packs of at least 6 so you have a good supply of toothbrushes. I usually change my toothbrush when the bristles get bent down too much, which usually every 3 months or so. A tip I got from a dentist to make your toothbrushes last longer is to not press so hard as well. I always get toothbrushes free from my dentist, I would look into asking your dentist for sample brushes to try. They're free and you can find out which kind you like. My dentist always gives out Colgate toothbrushes.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I change my tooth brush every 3 months as well but I buy cheap ones so I get to save more money. I have experienced using both cheap and expensive toothbrushes before and I've got to say, I can't feel the difference between the two. Buy colgate tooth brushes since they work for me. Who knows, they might work for you as well.

8. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I change my toothbrush every few months (3-4) and I buy the Oral-B brand. It was 'free' with the toothpaste and I've purchased Oral-B from that point on. I clip coupons for as much as 50 cents which helps a little and more when it's on sale. After my dentist told me not to get the 'firm' bristles because they can harm the gum tissue I usually get 'medium.' I don't put a lot of pressure on the toothbrush that does wear the bristles out faster.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You always get what you pay for, so expect cheap toothbrushes to be worn out quickly. You should get those branded ones so that it lasts longer, they are obviously more durable than the cheap ones.

10. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I haven't replaced my toothbrush for about six months now, I know we're all told to replace them after two to three months but honestly it's not fraying and I think it's still okay.
    It's a branded one though, can't remember the name now, are we just to throw them away when they still look okay? That's hard for me :)

11. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    Even though I know that toothbrushes are supposed to be replaced every 3 months, I don't replace them that often. I tend to only replace them once they are in such bad shape that they can't be used anymore. So I guess that happens every year or a bit less, since I buy quality toothbrushes.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm going to tell you what my dentist told me about the kind of toothbrush to use for less problems in your mouth, soft battery run toothbrushes clean better and floss. For the back teeth that is hard to get to clean Interdental Floss from Walgreens are the cheapest unless it's on sale somewhere.

. Take care of them teeth; I got a partial and it's not ever as good as your teeth. We've yet to get implants at Medicaid or Medicare, yet. The Patient Action Program at facebook is looking to change this position of Medicaid and Medicare too!

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I change my toothbrush about every two to three months. I prefer the Reach toothbrush because its angled and allows me to clean my back teeth. My mouth is crowded so I have to work to get those back teeth cleaned. Most of the time I can buy my toothbrushes at the Dollar Tree. If the Dollar Tree is out, then I go to Target. They are worth the extra dollar or two.

14. EllieTamal

EllieTamalNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer rather expensive and very soft tooth brushes. I look for bargains and buy them in stock. When it spoils, which happens every two months nearly, I change.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to buy toothbrushes made with some brittle material. It wasn't plastic. Something very much like plastic but different. They looked "cute" but if for some reason you dropped the toothbrush that would be the end of it's life. I was kind of clumsy back then and every five or so weeks I'd have to get myself a new toothtbrush. When I realized I was spending too much money buying these great-looking toothbrushes I started to buy quality toothbrushes which lasted much longer.

Though dentists advise changing toothbrushes every three months, I usually keep my toothbrushes for five or six months before I replace them.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I replace mine quite regularly - every two months. I think your health is something that you can't compromise on, and I can get a pack of 4 toothbrushes relatively cheaply, and over the long term they don't cost you all that much money. I have always been a believer that you should save money on the things you can, but pay for good quality items on the things that are important to your health, and for this reason you should certainly be paying what you need to for toothbrushes in my opinion.

17. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy soft toothbrushes. I can't handle the medium, they hurt my gums. I buy a multi-pack, and always have spares on hand. I change mine out every 2-3 months. I go through a lot of toothbrushes because I also use them for scrubbing around the faucets and other small hart to reach areas in the kitchen and bathrooms, so I buy a larger pack of toothbrushes several times a year.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I change every 2 to 3 months, when it starts getting ugly and worn off I will replace it. I also have one at work that, as I only use once a day after lunch I will replace less often. The one at home I use twice a day every couple months.

19. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that the short answer is certainly not often enough, but to what degree I am not sure. I tend to be more on the side of wear it down until it is dust mentality about clothes and items like that, but toothbrushes are a little more in my routine of buying and making sure I have some fresh ones. I do still stick with the cheaper ones though and just replace those.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy on of the better toothbrushes which are a bit more expensive, however, it guarantees greater longevity. It is recommended that a toothbrush should be changed every month, but I am confident in keeping the type I buy for a month longer and it's usually effective throughout that period.