How Often Do You Travel?

Discussion in Travel started by nwitt • Apr 28, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    We honestly don't travel very often, or as much as I'd like. Usually it comes down to a busyness and money issue. We travel about once a year, but sometimes that once a year thing is a 3-4 day weekend trip, rather than a weeklong or longer vacation.

How often do you travel? What's your reasoning?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I live in London and my girlfriend live in Manchester so I travel up and down the country every other weekend to see her. I love traveling and when I'm not playing football on a Saturday I will go and follow my favourite football team to away game, and part of the reason is the see them play, but I also enjoy the traveling aspect, going home via coach at 3am in the morning and looking out of the window while everyone else on the coach is asleep might sound weird, but it is very peaceful. :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to stay around the farm until it's past harvest time. After that I always have like three months before turning my attention to the farm again. That means in one year I have only two months to take a vacation. That's the time when I travel. I've got a lot of relatives whom I don't see and since we don't get together the rest of the year, I'll always spend most of my time going around from State to State to fulfill the obligation.

Good thing is as long as I have enough money for gas and a few other necessities I'd need while on the road, I don't need to worry about paying for accommodation. By the time I'm done visiting my folks, my traveling time is almost up.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Money is my biggest hold back. I almost said "time" as well, but really, that comes down to the fact that I don't have the "time" because I can't afford to take off the work.....which really means it's because of the money still.

Even so, I still make it away probably 3 times a year. This isn't really a "vacation" because I still sometimes end up working, but it's time that I take away from my house to either visit family (I live away from my mom/sister, which means I have to travel to visit them) or friends.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I am the same with money... I also feel like not only does money hold me back, but time flies while I am busy working, and before I realize it - it's been months or years since I've taken a real vacation! It's too bad that travel adds up! :(

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We do go for longer vacation once or twice a year and a weekend short trip few times in a month. But yes money issues do prevent us from travelling farther than we would like to. Sometimes we don't do any trips or vacation at all until we get to save enough for a long vacation at our favourite place.

7. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I travel a few times a year but it is usually weekends on the mainland UK rather than going on a week long holiday. When I can afford to go on holiday somewhere nice I will go on a holiday there (hopefully New York next) but until then I am happy with weekends away which are cheaper and can be just as fun.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We travel quite a bit internationally and inner country. Money is always a factor but if we have it, then we do it. We don't spend a lot of money once we are on vacation though. It is more about the getting away than it is what we do. If we are lying on a beach somewhere, or overlooking a beautiful mountain peak, then we are happy. We once did a beautiful trip through an arid mountain range just by setting up our tent for about 4.00/night. We had clean bathrooms, running water, and a killer view. Our friends stayed in the 40.00/night bungalows - still not too expensive but when you compared it to the 4 bucks it was outrageous. They were farther from the view than we were, their water was cut, and they had a cockroach in their room. We definitely go the better end of the deal. I think vacationing is a must but spending money is not. So if you find yourself not being able to afford to get away, figure out the cheapest vacation you can take and do it. If it comes down to walking somewhere in town to take a 'day vacation' then do that. Or lock yourself up in your house, watch your favorite movies, and don't answer the phone - I have also called that vacation. Sometimes that's the best kind because you don't have to pack.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to travel twice a year at most, and usually only once. But now I travel up to 6 times per year maybe. Usually for weekend breaks. I'm very pleased with how cheap it is for a single person to travel for short weekend breaks these days. A return flight to Edinburgh, accommodation and food can be achieved for £150. Even most of Western Europe is very cheap.

10. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I travel at least twice a year, and I don't like going to the same place over and over again. I would really save money for travel and that's why I prefer discovering new places instead of revisiting those which I have seen already.

I think travel is really a good way to learn things and it makes you a more mature person. You get to deal with different cultures and life will seem more wide for you.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to travel once a year as well, but there has been some years when I have skipped for one reason or another. Most of the time, it's just because I've gotten too busy or am saving up on money as well, and on a choice few decisions, I've decided against travelling just because the time allotted just wasn't enough for me, and I usually choose to just stay home on these occasions since if I traveled then I would just end up feeling shorted and with all the packing and moving around I'd have to do, I just ultimately don't see it as being worth it sometimes.

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Not so much. I have a demanding career that needs me around the country that much. Although I get a vacation once in a while and I utilize it well since I know it comes once in a while so it is time to cool down. But when I get a chance to travel, I have several places on my list that I would want to travel.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Once a year during vacation is enough for me. I don't travel really often as I when I travel, I found myself guilt-stricken afterwards as I felt that I wasted a lot of time that I cannot anymore take back. Sometimes, I wouldn't even go for a travel in a year. When I travel, I bring with me the things that I need to do, or things that would save me from feeling so much guilt of allowing myself to go for a leisure travel.

14. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    It depends on the time of year. We travel a lot during the winter months because we do a lot of snowmobiling. We usually take one big travel trip once a year or sometimes once every two years. It just depends on what we have going one. We do travel quite a bit though, probably 2-3 times per month. We have a newborn now though, so I imagine the traveling will slow down a little bit.

15. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    People I know use their credit cards and also use card during the travelling because i am student and you all know about the student condition very well..

16. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I usually travel once a year. Usually I go back to visit relatives one year and then go to holiday in a place that I have never visited before in the other year. I think this is good as I can stay in contact with my family and still be able to get to places that I want to visit.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot for business and pleasure. As a matter of fact, I get restless if I haven't been to a new place in more than three months. It doesn't have to be far away or exotic, but just a different location. I love everything about travelling, from packing my suitcases to waiting for buses, trains or planes. I love the feeling of movement, the excitement of not knowing where I will be at the end of the day, or whom I will meet. I am a restless soul who needs to move around constantly to feel balanced.

18. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    i travel alot sometime because of my work but mostly i travell because i love it. I want to explore more. whenever i heard about a new place, i become curious about that place, and travel to that place.

19. Execsapphire

ExecsapphireNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't been able to travel in a few years mainly due to money or not being able to take the time off work. I would love to be able to travel the world and visit many other places. I would like to be able to put aside some money from each paycheck to use for travel, but so far my paycheck gets spread thin.

20. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Travelling is my passion. I love to explore the whole world. When I got some free time I did not waste it and make a plan to visit the any part of this world. It is a source of happiness for me. Recently I have come from boston to Philadelphia tour. It was an amazing trip. I enjoyed it with my friends. In my next vacations I will go to Paris with my family.