How often do you upgrade your computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by bryce12 • Jun 21, 2012.

1. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Hey guys,

Computers and laptops can get outdated pretty fast. I have been using my computer for 3 years and I think I'm going to upgrade it soon. How often do you upgrade your computer?

Bryce

2. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say every three years is good. I try and stretch my laptop out for four though. Though with proper care, you can have computers last for years. I've had my old (and now junky) desktop for 6 years!

3. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I don't. I wait until the computer is dead and then I prepare to purchase a new one. I've had this Dell laptop for four years now and I hope for it to last a decade. It's a very good laptop and it has never given me any problems, well, maybe the battery because it only lasts 45 minutes on a full charge. Other than that, I won't upgrade for quite a while.

4. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I updated my laptop was about 4 years ago and I'm still using it off and on. Currently, I'm using a netbook to work and it's almost 1 yr old. I'm thinking of getting a new laptop next year.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I am not really bothered about upgrading my computer, if it works fast enough and I get the job done...it is more than good enough for me. I do have a brother though that is always getting upgrades on all gadgets, which I find really cute. But, yeah...it does not bother me at all.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't upgrade, I replace. I may add some RAM, but when that is taken care of, then I keep it moving until the HDD stops moving. I will upgrade various pieces of software when the new version comes out, but not so much on the hardware.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only upgrading I do to my laptop is to add more RAM. That's it. I keep it until it no longer runs. My current laptop is old. It's about 5 years old. I have another laptop that still works and it's even older. It's an IBM and it's pushing 8 years.

I usually upgrade a desktop quite a bit. I add the max amount of RAM, a second hard drive and if I feeling adventurous, I may switch out the motherboard.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It costs more over time to update then it does to just add a bit to a functional piece. You know some memory here, a new OS there, a couple of cards every now and again. It works well enough for me.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Upgrades only work up to a certain point. The limitation is basically in the motherboard.

A motherboard can only accept a certain type of ram and a certain type of microprocessor and have slots for only a certain type of graphics and sound cards. Eventually developments in motherboard design would mean that the parts which can be used on your motherboard will not be manufactured anymore and even if you can find the parts which fit, they will be more expensive.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I agree I have had the same laptop for 6 years and it still works. I'll just keep using it until it breaks down then I'll get a tablet. I've always wanted a good tablet and I might get the Microsoft surface. I know I said I'll use this one until it breaks, but there's always an exception to every rule. I don't try to keep up with the latest trends, because I don't have all that money. With that said I can use a new computer because this one is slow.

11. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I usually update my computer every two years but my last upgrade was just November where I put another 2 GB DDR memory so that I could have 6 GB. So far I am planning to upgrade my processor into an i7 because i3 is starting to make me wait in loading games.

12. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Every 2 years normally, as long as none of the parts randomly stop working, the only part i'll be upgrading is the GPU due to extensive gaming :p.
    This is my setup at the moment:

NZXT phantom
    Asus Sabertooth P67
    Corsair Vengeance 8gig
    MSI 570GTX Twin Frozr
    i7 2600k
    corsair TX850M
    WD 1TB

So i might only be changing something by Fall 2013.

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I typically upgrade my computer whenever my old one runs so slowly or crashes, so I absolutely have to. I'm not one to keep up with the newest technology for fun, I just upgrade when it becomes necessary.

14. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    It's true that technology gets outdated pretty quickly, but I'm one of those that hardly do anything to upgrade/improve my desktop features. With the exception if there's a broken keyboard, a defective monitor, broken fan in the CPU and things like that. I get things repaired, but not improved. Through experiences, I can wait 3 to 4 years for the whole desktop to wear out (if it does) and then just get myself a set of new, top notch ones.

15. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my laptop for 4 years and I have never updated it. I tried adding some extra memory to an old desktop once and it completely stopped working. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I guess I'd better get an expert next time I want to make any upgrades.

16. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I'd say I upgrade every 3-4 years, give or take.

This ensures that I can still run the latest programs and games that I want without sacrificing too much speed or processor performance. Keep up with the curve! of course there some laptop savvy geeks who can upgrade their laptops constantly, so that would mean they'd never have to buy a newer model, just new parts.

17. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    About 4 years ago, I built my computer with all the best possible specs. It's still running great and think I may upgrade next year. Whenever I do upgrade though, I go all out and it lasts a really long time before i have to upgrade.

18. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I purchased my current laptop three years ago and it works great. I only upgrade when my laptop/desktop stops working completely. I've had my desktop computer for 10 years now and it still works.

19. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have specif time-frame but only do it out of necessity! Lets say the Laptop has encountered fatal error or the registry is corrupt beyond repair.

20. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I'm really bad at upgrading! I have a Mac and they sell their upgrades for only $29. I just procrastinate. I haven't upgraded in over 3 years. But now I want a program that I have to upgrade in order to get. I still have Leopard. I need Snow Leopard. I found out Apple literally just stopped carrying them. I've looked on Amazon, where the guys at the Apple store suggested, and the lowest price now is $100 or a little above. Not horrible yet, the prices might go up as they become more rare? But that's what I get for procrastinating. So far I haven't needed any more memory even though I have tons of pictures and files. My computer doesn't run slower or anything. So at least that's good.