How often do you upgrade your computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by bryce12 • Jun 21, 2012.

1. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've had my Dell laptop for 5 years now, and I'll replace it when it dies. I have a couple of cleaner programmes and malware removals that I run once a week, to remove any problem software and keep it running pretty quickly. It does all that I ask of it, so to me, it's a waste of money to replace it until I can't coax it back into life again. Besides, I'm used to the keyboard, so I can type pretty quickly. As a freelance writer, that's important. Me and my laptop are a perfect team, and I'm not looking for separation anytime soon.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it is every 3-4 years. I am purchasing a new laptop right now. I would like a desktop but that will have to wait awhile longer. I will get the laptop first, I need to be mobile. I want a dedicated numeric keypad since I key in numbers mostly working on spread sheets.

3. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    If you're looking to be reasonably up-to-date every 3-5 years will be fine, depending how much you spent on it. If you're just looking for a working machine that covers the basics I'd say around 10 years would be ideal, maybe a couple less if something big comes out.

4. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    A difficult question to answer, technology is advancing at such a varying rate nowadays that it can very much depend on technological breakthroughs. I upgrade when my PC becomes overly outdated. for example, I only run a dual core right now but with the release of hexacores etc I am coming to a point where an upgrade will really be essential soon. :)

5. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have had my mac for about 2 years now. I love it. I haven't had any problems with it. I don't plan on upgrading until my mac starts giving me problems. I will then be choosing another mac. No more pcs for me. I have had too many problems with them in the past.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to get 3 years out of a computer, but the last two Dell systems I bought only lasted a year then blew up on me. Their business computers are more durable and don't do this, but for some reason, they will not sell them to consumers. I never really understood that. Right now I'm sticking with Lenovo for my desktop and laptop computers. I've been pretty pleased with both of them to date.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't have a set time.

I usually upgrade in pieces really. So a motherboard or power supply will go out, so that gets bought new and replaced. My video card will be greatly out of date or fried, so then I'll replace that. Maybe I need bigger hard drive space, so I'll buy a new one of those. Then as a couple years go by, that power supply might go out again, so it'll need a new one..

8. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    My computer has already been 5 years or so. I'm going to buy a new one pretty soon since the hardware of my computer are all maxed out already, no more upgrades available. What I can only do is to continue using it till it dies out, hopefully not since my hard disk has all the data I need.

9. Drainbamaged

DrainbamagedNew Member

Threads:
    Every 2 years normally, as long as none of the parts randomly stop working, the only part i'll be upgrading is the GPU due to extensive gaming .

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't perform hardware upgrades because I'm always afraid to take something a part and not know how to put it all back together. I do have one of my geeky cousins upgrade my RAM for me if it gets slow. I always upgrade my software so some hackers don't find a sneaky backdoor to get in to.

11. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using a laptop and I think that laptops can't really be upgraded to increase their performance speed so I'm staying with it until it dies of old age. :D I'm also planning on buying a desktop since I'm a huge gamer before and I plan on returning to my gaming days. My laptop just doesn't make the cut when I try to run some high end pc games.

12. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    The problem with computers is that come six months a newer and better one is introduced into the market. The trick when buying is to decide what you want to use it for now and potentially later. Then buy a good system. this should last you at lease five years. then you consider upgrading what needs to be upgraded.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually update our computer if I need to play a certain game that has higher specs if it's a hardware update. Or if the OS is better than the previous one, then i update it as well. But for an overall pc update, it has to conk out first before I update it.

14. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I actually happened upgraded it since I bought this 2 years ago. So far it's as good as new and I'm not having problems with is so I don't need to upgrade it. As long as it's fully functional then I'll still use it.

15. bibbyboy

bibbyboyNew Member

Threads:
    As long as the computer isn't running painfully slowly or something else that would really impede what I need to do I won't feel the need to upgrade my computer. Everyone likes to run around and show off their new laptop, but for me the only thing that matters is if it's functional.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I update mine whenever my computer tells me too

17. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    Once it breaks. I had my first MacBook for about five years before it quit on me, this one I am typing on has been going strong for a while.

18. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I usually upgrade my computer when it's time.
    If my computer still feels like brand new after 5 years then there is o reason to spend more money on upgrades. I am usually very content with my computer up until it does of course and that is when I give it an upgrade or I just purchase a new one.

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I don't upgrade unless something breaks. Or stops working. I normally usually end up having to replace the keyboard, monitor and/or mouse long before anything on the inside.

20. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Because i need to move a lot, unfortunately i have to have a laptop for work. So, i only get a new one every 4 years, because they end up getting dirty cheap and i still get the advantages of a newer technology.