How Often Do You Visit the Groomer?

Discussion in Pets started by Mudd04 • Jul 28, 2012.

1. Mudd04

Mudd04New Member

Threads:
    My Yorkie goes about every 10 to 12 weeks now that he is older and his hair doesn't grow as quickly. I keep him in a very short Teddy Bear cut. My Frenchie's go about every 3 to 4 months since I could never do the same job at home and get all that hair out the way they do in the shop in addition to them doing the other maintenance necessities like nails, ears and glands for me. Have you found yourself going to the groomer less often than you used to? How do you save money on grooming?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have an old basset hound so his hair is really short. In the summer, he goes for walks that help to keep his nails short so he usually doesn't go in the summer at all. In the colder months, we take him in about once a month just to get his nails trimmed. We take him to the groomer that is at his vet's office. They usually just trim the nails for free for us. His nails are super thick and really hard for me to do them myself, so it is nice that they do this for me.

3. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I had a dog, we hardly took her to the groomer because we would do it ourselves: give her a haircut, cut her nails and look after her overall appearance. If you teach your dog at a young age to obey and be patient and quiet when they're being groomed, you can certainly do it yourself. My little darling always looked fine. I do admit, though, that I had to take her to the groomer a couple of years before she died because one nail, which she didn't allow me to cut, got too long and I had no choice. Boy was that a struggle!

4. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I have two dogs, both poodle-mixes. I can cut their hair at home.. but the work, effort and cleanup doesn't seem to be worth it (to me) so I rather bring them to the groomers - whom we love! We go about every 3-4 months, depends on how dirty they get. I noticed with the longer hair they pick up and trap dirt more easily and it comes off in my bed. Sleeping on a bed full of sand isn't fun! I sweep the house alot.
    Even in the winter time, I get their hair cut short so they don't drag in slush and mud. I noticed in the cold winter days, they can't walk very far when the hair on their legs form icicles (I live in Canada!) and it must be quite painful for them.

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    My dog doesn't need much care for that style, so we don´t visit much the groomer. I think it depends a lot on the breed of your pet. Anyway, I think I would have to pay a visit at least every 6 months. What can I do with my dog? It is a medium sized dog with short hair, so you only need a refreshing swim and some care on your nails. I don´t know yet what is the best time of year to bathe more often, but I guess it's during the summer. In the winter we try to look natural oils that coat the dog skin and protect it from cold. Luckily, my dog ​​has a good temperament and behaves when going to these places.

6. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and she usually needs groomed every few months. However, we save money as my dad actually does it with nothing more than a pair of scissors and a dog shaver. He has gotten a lot of practice at it and the results are quite nice, I would definitely recommend trying it yourselves! :)

7. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I have a miniature poodle, and I groom her myself every week. She is cream colored so her hair gets dirty quickly. Yes, she is spoiled, and I love her smelling wonderful all the time and brush her daily to look her best. But if I had the money, I wouldn't mind taking her in to get groomed. But I'd probably take her in every 2-3 weeks then and just do a face and tail shave in between. I also love when they paint her nails, too. Here is one of my favorite pictures of her looking all dolled up:

009-1.

And a recent one I took a couple days ago:
    [​IMG]

Oh, and for those who have trouble clipping your dogs nail, you should get a dremel from Home Depot. That tool is invaluable to me. No only does it quickly take the nails down, but it rounds them out so they aren't left with scratchy claws.

Attached Files:

#7Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I am pretty lucky in that of my three dogs only one is long haired (chihuahua) and I started her grooming at home at 8 weeks so at 4 years she is pretty laid back about letting me do everything from trimming her hair to doing her nails. She needs a trim about once a month on her feet (top and pads) and every other month on her rear to ummm...keep it fresh LOL

The other two are shorthair and they too were taught early to let people touch their feet so nail clipping is not a chore. And one of them thinks bathing is "swimming" so she runs in to the tub when we tell her to go swimming.

9. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Our little Yorkie Poo gets groomed every 6 to 8 weeks it depends on how fast if fur grows out. We started getting him groomed about 9 to 10 weeks old so he does not get scared to go to the groomers, and now he thinks it is a everyday thing and loves to see his groomers. Our others are mastiffs and they just get baths on a regular basis at home here, like once a week or two, and we clean their ears out every 3 days.

10. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I don't save money on grooming. If I don't go every 3 to 4 weeks, my dog gets knots in his fur. I get charged extra if the groomer has to cut the knots out. My poodle's hair is incredible soft and this is both a blessing and a curse. It feels softer than most poodle hair, and it is a delight to stroke. But since it is so soft it knots up very easily. He hates being brushed, which according to the pros is the only way to keep his hair from knotting up. I mean he really hates it. He whines as if he's getting killed. We've tried cutting his hair at home, but he ends up looking like a homeless stray. I don't mind paying for the service. It really doesn't matter as long as he looks good.

11. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I take my dog to a groomer every 5-6 weeks. It is much better to do the grooming yourself, it is not that hard to do. I used to groom my dog myself till last year but nowadays I have become very busy with my work. Dogs require a lot of care so it is best to take them for grooming as per schedule without any delay.

12. cheapie

cheapieNew Member

Threads:
    As hard as it is for me to bathe my big dog I do it myself. I also have a natural spray that I wash her down with in between normal baths. It keeps her smelling fresh and clean. I found it at the local pet store in the waterless shampoo isle. I am taking her in today though to get her nails trimmed. That is one thing I can't do myself.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Maybe once a year, if that. We trim his nails ourselves. He does well to stay pretty clean or we use dry shampoos. We just take him every so often to get a real cleaning which really isn't required that often.

14. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I try to go once a month for my toy poodle. I stick to it during the summer, but in the winter I will sometimes just brush his fur more and not take him in as much. He gets really cold even with a shirt on during the winter so I don't like to take him as often. I will trim the fur around his face and any knots he does get during the longer stretches.

15. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    My family and I have two yorkies, two maltese and a lab and we never go to the groomer. We groom them ourselves. I quite like grooming and mine aren't too bad about it, plus we usually keep their hair short, like a 'puppy cut'. I think I'd only ever go to a groomer if I had a dog that was really hard to groom or if I didn't have the time. If I had a bedlington terrier and wanted the cute 'lamb' cut I'd have to, although I think I'd try to learn how to do it myself. I'd like to have the practice because I might like to be a professional groomer one day.

16. odettemayers

odettemayersNew Member

Threads:
    The last time we went to vet for her grooming session the groomer told us that they will do a summer cut because my dog has tangles on her body. After 3-4 months she will go back tomorrow for her grooming and she has no tangles and we wanted to trim her hair because it is so long.

17. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Too cute. Thanks for sharing pictures.
    As for me I don't take my kitty to the groomers. I tried it once with my other (now deceased) cat and the groomer called me up to ask if I could come back to the store and pick her up. So I've done my own grooming ever since.

18. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I have 3 cats myself, and the only time I bathe them is in flea season. Boy, what an ordeal! Not only the constant crying but the struggling to get out of the sink. I don't know how professional groomers do it.

19. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    We take the dog every month. His hair is easy to manage, so he does not need a lot of upkeep, but he dog needs a bath etc. The groomer is not expensive at all and I find it well worth the money because it saves me the hassle of bathing a 200 pound dog. :D I love this groomer cause when she is done with the dog, she puts on a cute kerchief around his neck ...its adorable.