How often do you wash the dishes?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Sep 17, 2014.

1. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    My roommates prefer to have dishes handwashed, but I tend to always put my own in the dishwasher. There's too many dishes too frequently for me to be able to allocate time to each session to get them all cleaned in a timely manner. They end up building and grow moldy and very, very gross.... So yup, it's the dishwasher for me!

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, how lucky can you get, having a dishwasher... Enjoy it while you can dizzy! I also grew up in a place with a dishwasher, but now I don't have one so I know the value of having a machine doing the work for us, it's really convenient...!

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've got a washing machine as well, it's so convenient I consider it a necessity much like a stove or a fridge.
    After dinner it's just a matter of rinsing the dishes off and putting them in the washer, then we run it whenever it gets full, which is usually every three days or so.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a dishwasher. We usually just wash dishes once a day after dinner as there aren't very many of them until then. On occasion when someone did major cooking or baking they have to be washed earlier than that to make space for cooking the next meal, but that's pretty much it. I hate washing dishes so I make every effort to not use more than I absolutely have to. I'll even re-use my dishes for more than one meal as long as I know for sure which one was mine.

5. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well we have to do it by hand, so it adds up to around 4+ times a day. With 6 people, it piles up pretty fast. I wish we could have one of those automatic dish washers, but it seems most people just use it for soaking their dishes anyways. Maybe some other people here use it a bit more haha.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I wash my dishes quite often. It is very difficult to wash if there are too many dishes in time to be washed. I think it is very easy to finish washing when there are very few of them to be washed. I hate washing the dishes and hence tend to finish them as early as possible. I think it is very important to be able to keep the surroundings clean by washing the dishes one regular basis.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Almost everyday I wash the dishes. Ever since we were kids, our parents have taught us to wash our own dishes in addition to doing our own laundry or whipping up our own meals. As we grew older, whoever has time to spare or is willing enough to help shouldn't hesitate or wait for the others to wash the dishes. My parents usually get tired from all the work they've done since the day started. At least one of us should do the dishes.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have a dishwasher anymore so we do it by hand. I think having a dishwasher just made things worse to be honest lol. Now each of us do our dishes as we dirty them. So much easier and the kitchen stays that much cleaner. We do this with everything.. clean as needed instead of cleaning days or times. Doing it this way means not having to clean up other people's messes either.. something I always hated because my family can be a lot ickier than me lol. I don't mind doing it, I'm just beyond happy with the way we do it now lol.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I wash dishes everyday. I am obsess with keeping my home clean. It's a habit I've had since I was a kid. I always kept my room clean and so forth. As soon as I am done eating, I wash the dishes. I can't explain it but I find it highly annoying to see dirty dishes in the sink. My boyfriend's approach is the direct opposite and he laughs about it. He'll wash the dishes every other day if it was up to him. I guess this is a habit I got from my grandmother. She was someone who always kept a clean house at all times.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Every meal, every time. I learned long ago, it is far better to wash one plate, bowl, cup, spoon, fork, or whatever utensils one at a time, that way I don't have to waste hours scrubbing, washing, and drying a sink or dishwasher full of dishes and utensils. One time I visited one of my buddies, who lived in a dorm with other people, had a whole sink full of weeks old utensils and dishes that were moldy and stinky. I offered to clean it up and boy was I mistaken to think it would be easy, because after a whole hour, I only knocked off a one-third due to the fact that there was so much mold and overdue nasty stuff stuck onto the dishes. My friend had to stop me, and we decided to do the rest in morning instead, after soaking the whole sink full with soap, bleach, and hot water.

11. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Constantly! I have children aged 15, 9, 3 and 16 months. Thee are six of us living in my house. Three meals a day plus drinks and snacks equals an awful lot of plates, cups and cutlery. It is a never ending job, as is the laundry.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I can imagine that that can be quite the handful, better get older ones started on washing the dishes too though, they could be quite valuable help.
    I'm looking forward to that myself, as soon as I have kids old enough to handle the laundry, I'm off the hook, even if it's just loading up the machine.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We wash our own dishes in our house. It's up to use when we want to do it. And because I don't want to pile up the dishes that I would be washing, I wash them right after I eat, or when I cook, I will wash first all those kitchen wares that I used for cooking before I sit down and eat. So after that I have finished my meal, I would only be left with my plates and my utensils to wash. When our laziness would go too far, we would really avoid washing dishes. What we do then is we either order foods from the fast food, eat instant meals, and used disposable wares.

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That seems like something that goes on a 'list of chores' that one completes every night before one goes to bed.

Myself: If there are 5-or-more dishes in the sink, I either-put them in the dishwasher or -soak them in hot-water-&-soap before I sleep (running the dishwasher if it's full).

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that my wife has a hurt arm I've been washing the dishes minimum twice per day, let me tell you I really wish she get better soon! :D My kids are still too small to wash them, so I guess that atm I am the only valid person to do this...

16. yann

yannNew Member

Threads:
    Hi guys,

I absolutely do not like to wash dishes by hand, and have my dishwasher not working anymore unfortunately. So I've got my girlfriend who keeps asking me not to forget to put the dishes away once dry.. Which made me think about how I could improve that process.

I actually wanted to ask what you guys think about this idea.

I am interested in knowing if anyone would be interested in a different concept to hand wash dishes and put them away, using a Dish Drying Closet.

This closet would be on top of the sink, without bottom, allowing the water to directly drips in the sink, and would allow the user to directly put the dish in the closet above the sink without having to place it on the side of the sink for it to dry, then place it in the cupboard.

Would anyone prefer this against the more traditional dish drying rack on the side of the sink? The benefits would be to save time washing dishes and putting them away, save space, and have a tidy kitchen all the time without any dishes left on the bench, ever. The dish would be place only once in the closet, for drying purpose (closet bottom lets water drips) and storage (as it is put away in the same process).

I am really interesting in knowing if that would be something of interest, and would love to know what you guys think!

Regards
    Yann

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We clean up after ourselves, so there iare no dirty dishes hanging around at any point and nothing to worry about later. It saves tons of time to just wash your dishes after your done with them. Can't get easier or quicker than that. Same for the rest of the cleaning around here.. we clean up after ourselves so there are no messes for later and the house is always clean.

18. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I wash my dishes every couple of days, when the mountain is too high... :p

19. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I wash dishes twice a day. I purposely wait and do a load from breakfast and dinner. Dishes show up throughout the day, but I do not stress. I just wait. I do them the majority of the time, but other members of the family do chip in.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I was them pretty much every day. Sometimes I can go 2 days, but then they end up piling up and becoming a headache, so I prefer not to leave them for too too long.