How often do you wash your clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by prettycolors • Apr 24, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    It may seem like a silly question but how many times you wash your clothes has an impact on their durability and good looks.

In the summer, I used to wash my t-shirts daily since I changed them a few times per day. Washing and then drying in the sun resulted in a loss of color and the thinning of the material. Needless to say, by the end of summer I had to buy another batch of t-shirts. And that was money I would've loved to save.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I probably do 1 wash for most clothes per week. then 1 wash for socks/underwear per fortnight. I like to keep them separate. I also wash the bed sheet maybe once every 4-6 weeks. It doesn't actually cost a lot really. The electricity bill is only small for a wash, and the water bill not that much higher. I do sometimes line dry in the summer though just for that extra saving.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wash most of mine after every wear.

Bras and jeans are the exception. I wear those more than once before washing usually.

I don't air/sun-dry my clothes, though, so I don't have to worry about the fading.

Instead, mine is more about wear and tear from my washer, which has a tendency to grab snags or straps and tear clothes apart. :(

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash my clothes once a week. Often I just hang them out in the fresh air and wear them again before I put them in the washing machine. I don't like that smell of fresh laundry detergent lingering on me from over-washing. Also, I wash delicate items by hand in the sink and let them dry outside direct sunlight.
    I think shorter washing cycles, chemical-free detergents and keeping your clothes out of direct sunlight, preserves them for a longer period of time.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will wash my clothes after just one use. Sweaters I will usually wash after 2 uses, and coats, jackets and pants usually after a few more, just because those are heavier and don't get as stinky as blouses and dresses and stuff.
    I will usually do my laundry once or twice a week.

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I do laundry once a week, but as far as how often I wash specific things: I use towels for about a week before washing, bras a few days, jeans about a week, and sheets about a month or so. I live in an apartment building with coin laundry, and that really adds up! If I had a washer/dryer in my unit, I'd be much more inclined to do laundry more often

7. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    We use towels for 3 days, but they have to be hung so they dry completely between showers. Jeans are worn 4 times before they go in the laundry. Sweatshirts/hoodies probably once every month unless something is spilled on them or something like that. Everything else is washed as it's worn. If I do happen to go somewhere that I have to wear a blouse or dress, it's only on for a few hours so they don't go into the laundry. I will wear them several times.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I wash all my clothes about once a week, after everything that I wear from day to day is dirty. I wash hoodies about every 2 weeks, but that's only if I'm wearing them regularly.

9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it depends on my actual activities. If I know for a fact that I went to a dirty place or I sweat a lot, then for sure I need to wash my clothes right away, no matter how often I've washed that particular shirt before. However, if I know I only used it for a few minutes and the place was not so dirty, I would try to reuse it before I wash it.

It is true that washing it often may cause your clothes to deteriorate faster. But come to think of it, that's exactly the purpose of clothes. You are not supposed to stop washing your clothes for the mere purpose of preserving it but sacrificing hygiene.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do my laundry when my hamper is full, if we're talking about the clothes that I just wear inside the house. But for clothes that I wear outside, I wash them after I wore them. The only exception would be if I didn't sweat at all while wearing them.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I wash my clothes when my hamper is full, and that's probably every week. AS for the clothes, well it does get a lot of damage. My shirts and pants either lose their color and wore off quickly. I once had my pants rip in the middle of a commute then my tailor said it was because of the wear and tear of washing and I had that pants for no longer than 2 months.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Every day, I could never wear something and then put it away to wear it another day with out washing it. They might wear out quicker, but at least they are clean. And living in the UK we don't have to worry about the sun fading our colours as we rarely see it!

13. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I wash my clothes as needed. I have a weekly wash day that consist of all the clothes that I have worn for the week. If your T-shirts are fading than that means either they are cheap shirts our you are washing them incorrectly. Either with the wrong colors or wrong temperature. Try using a different washing detergent to see if that makes a difference.

14. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I wash my clothes when they need to be washed. But I do try to wear my jeans at least three times before a wash and I don't over wash my shirts because like you said of the color fading. You should buy enough shirts for at least two weeks so to not over-wash them and give other shirts a break.

-my experience.

15. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I do my laundry every week or two weeks. I wear my pants over and over again, and put my shirts in the hamper after 2-3 wears. Of course, now that summer is approaching, I will have to wash after every 1-2 wears, depending on how hot the individual days are!

16. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    If I wear it once, I wash it once. The thought of wearing something and then putting it back on creeps me out. I don't think its "wrong" if others do things differently, we all do things our own way. I just don't like the feeling of unwashed clothing on my skin, it makes my flesh crawl.

17. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Clothes are washed just about everyday at my house. My husband has an issue when the basket has dirty clothes in it. I personally will not wear something two days in a row because I sweat so much. My clothes still look rather new after the multiple washes.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I do the laundry about once a week, it depends on how quickly the washing machine gets full.
    I wear each t-shirt only once, just like socks and underwear of course.
    I can wear a pair of jeans or a jacket a couple of times before they need washing though.