How often should one purchase a computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Jul 30, 2012.

1. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I still have the desktop that I bought in 2007 and it still works so I don't see the sense in forking out more money for one; even if the prices are so much lower today. I also have a laptop that is over 2 years old and it too works with no issues so it won't be replaced any time soon either. Being on a fixed income I can't afford to get the latest and greatest of gadgets...unless someone wants to buy it for me LOL

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I am really not aware of any shelf-life for computers! I clean up my system often, check for viruses regularly, even load the OS every six months-one year. As long as I don't have any major hiccups like a dead processor or pixels on the screen, I am fine carrying on with my existing laptop/computer, unless I am looking to upgrade the specs drastically.

3. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    The last laptop I purchase was in 2009. My laptop works fine, I keep it updated and virus free. I will not buy another laptop until my current one stops working. Before I purchased this my current laptop, the last one worked for 5 years before the screen stopped working. I have a Toshiba c655, I paid $300 when I purchased it. I think you should only purchase a new computer/laptop when the one you have is no longer usable. My desktop is 10 years old and it still works great.

4. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    Buying a computer is a poor investment. It depreciates immediately. If the one you have is working well for you, there is obviously no need to upgrade. If your computer isn't running as fast as you would like trying using a lightweight Linux operating system like Lubuntu. You'll probably see a nice jump in performance.

I don't think I'll buy anything more expensive than a $300 dollar netbook for a long time.

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    A computer doesn't really have a shelf life. What it does have is a working life which simply means that it has a life as long as it's working. Such a working life can be as short as one day, like when you spill a big cup of coffee on it the very first day you use it, to as long a ten years, which is how long some of the computers in some banks have been working.

6. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what kind of software you use. If you run resource intensive applications such as graphic programs or games then you need to buy or at least upgrade your computer quite frequently. I don't use any such applications so I think I'm going to be OK even if don't buy a new computer for a decade. Of course I don't mean it literally but I don't see my self buying a new computer every 1-2 years.

7. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I always ensure that my desktop is upgradable to cater to future needs. I'm upgrading my RAM and graphic cards soon, so I wouldn't have to invest in a new computer soon. I think over the past 15 years, I have owned 3 desktops, that's once every 5 years on average.

8. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I also have this computer for years. I have my desk top about 7 years now. It does the job for me. I am not a gamer and really do not need the super fast speed. I do the occasionally freezing when I go on to many website. I scan for viruses regularly so it is doing the job for me at the moment. I am also like you that I do not have all the latest technology that comes with bells, whistles and a price tag. My mobil phone is an old Nokia. This phone is probably 6 years old. But it works. I will have to buy a new computer soon as technology is changing so much. I will buy a state of the art desk top again. And my computer will last me another 7 or 8 years. :)

9. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see a point to constantly trying to keep up with the latest and greatest when it comes to computers. You'll go broke in no time. I've had my Dell for six years now and it's still working great. It's probably due to the fact that it was fully customized when I first got it though. It's a bit slow but it still does what I need it to (browse the internet, watch videos, etc) so I'm going to continue using it until it dies on me.

10. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my desktop for 3 years now. The one before it was utilized for almost 7 years. So, yes, I only replaced it because it was broken already and couldn't be fixed anymore. So I'd say, just buy a new one when you can't use your current one anymore. Especially if it's only being used for basic things, why do you need a state-of-the art gadget and put a dent on your budget when you still have a usable one.

11. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather upgrade my desktop that buying a whole new system. I think that I could save a lot if I just upgrade some parts like the processor and memory. I figured out that if we follow the trend and the latest, we will just end up throwing money each year as technology will always update itself. If we follow it, we would change our system every year and I think that it is not practical.

12. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    I'm a gamer, when I buy a computer I usually buy a really good, so it lasts longer. I tend to buy a new one every 4-5 years. Which I think is pretty average, if you aren't really a gamer though, I would say just buy a new computer once It's either too slow to use or quits working completely.

13. trueone

trueoneNew Member

Threads:
    I feel as though I should not buy a new laptop till my old one is completely dead. It would be great to get the latest and the best but if you do very little on the computer that does not kill your processor then I personally wouldn't get a new laptop. Its the old saying - If its not broken don't fix it.

14. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    As often as you need it. I don't do enough things on my computer that I need to newest and best technology. I bought a top of the line laptop in like 2008 and I am still using it. I defrag and run virus and malware scans frequently and have run into zero issues with it. The only thing wrong is that my "Home" key broke off; but otherwise it still runs like a dream.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd like to get at least 3 years out of a computer, but the last two Dell desktop's I bought blew up after one year - that's why I stopped buying them, they're as bad as HP's these days. The Lenovo systems I have nowadays are working well for me.

16. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    For desktops, granted you take good care of them, only need replacing or upgrading every 4-6 years. I had my desktop running Windows XP for a good 6 years just fine before I cleaned up everything, upgraded the RAM, and installed Windows 7 on it and it's working great for me. Laptops would be every 3-4 years in my opinion unless you're really bringing on the wear and tear like some people I know.

17. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I still have the same desktop computer from 2001. And a laptop I bought 3 years ago. My desktop my recently got a HardDrive upgrade. Will soon get a PSU upgrade and maybe a ram upgrade. But to be honest, computers can last for decades because upgrading them is easy as long as you're not subjecting them to abuse. Motherboards rarely go out, and PSU's, Ram, and Hard Drives can be easily replaced. If you're doing hardcore gaming on your comp though, it won't last very long. I play games on mine, but mostly online games like checkers or dominoes. Not World Of Warcraft and such.

18. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    If only I can afford it, I'd probably buy a new one whenever there are latest updates. But, because food is more important I'd say change your computer only when your current one is not working anymore. haha My laptop is a year old now, the one before it, I had for 4 years. I don't think I will be changing anytime soon.

19. trebla

treblaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm still using my Dell computer. I've bought this particular device five years ago, and it's still working effectively until now. This particular brand is, indeed, one of the best.

20. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    It depends on what you're doing.

For me keeping my computer upgraded & powerful is important, I do a lot of Video Editing & Film making, as well as gaming.
    That requires a lot of RAM for quick access to things i've already opened (Faster in games & Editing software, too) & rendering. The Core/Motherboard is also important.

I used to have an old Mac with 4GB of RAM. It was good, but not for me. Something like that would have been good for someone who doesn't go beyond what the average person with a computer might - Writing, web browsing, YouTube, etc.
    I really needed something more powerful though, so now I've got new Mac with 12GB & a Quad Core i7.

Times like that when you should be a new computer. Perhaps if you've advanced personally with Technology & need something better for your needs, or simply just because you want a better Computer.