How often should one purchase a computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Jul 30, 2012.

1. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    I built my computer and its lasting me since the beginning of 2008. So you really don't need to buy a new one unless you are a hardcore gamer that needs the best specs.

2. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    Don't worry about your friends, OP. If you computer is fine and there isn't anything wrong with it, keep it. There is no real need to upgrade. That $800-$1000 could be well spent somewhere else.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with you that you aren't really required to purchase a laptop every couple of years, as long as it does the job that it's supposed to do. You only upgrade it or purchase a new one when it fails to meet your needs. Like for me, I am an avid gamer, so if I want the better games, then I would have to upgrade the specs of my pc or purchase a new one if I can afford it.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Here's an idea.

As soon as you buy a new computer, start a fund for a new one. Think of it as paying for the use of your current computer. Put aside, say, 20usd every month. Without fail. Just the same way as you would pay for any utilities like water and electricity. This way, when the time comes to buy a new replacement computer, you would have the money in hand already. When your budget is not tight you get a better choice.

5. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I have to disagree that you have to upgrade your computer every 3 years or so too! While it is true that the general guideline is to upgrade once every 3 to 4 years in order for you to be getting the most out of the generation of processors during that period of time, this is only true if what you use your computer for demands high capacity and performance. For general usage, I don't see why your computer cannot easily last you at least 5 years with proper usage and care. The laptop I am currently using has been with me for close to 6 years and is still performing really well. As long as you do not clutter up the hard drive, overheat it all the time, keep viruses and malware at bay and perform regular maintenance and cleaning, your computer will serve you well for years to come. If you're just using it for internet browsing, streaming videos and emails, I don't see why your computer won't last you for up to 8 years since it is worked only so minimally! Save up the 500 bucks my friend!

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Changing your laptop it depends on the performance of the laptop. If you are person who does not like change very often then I would advise you to buy a Macbook whether it is pro or air. Macbooks have a reputation to stay for a long time and their performance is still incredible. I think you will like it once you have bought it.

7. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Few years ago, when the speed of improvement in technology of laptops was quite high, laptops got aged rather quickly. And people were almost forced to replace them. But nowadays, its not the case as the speed of improvement has plateaued a bit and you can hold onto your machines for a period of more then 3 years. So, to answer the question as to how often you should replace your laptop, I would like to say that it depends upon your needs.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if it still works and does the job done, then why buy a new one? I mean, if it ain't broken then what's the fix? But if you want to have something more powerful, then go buy a new one, but if you just want a new one for the sake of having a new one, then just give it a few more years or until it breaks and can't do anything anymore.