How Often?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Feb 29, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people buy their groceries weekly. Some do their shopping once every two weeks while others may get it done only once a month. There's a small group however that shops for groceries "as the need arises." They buy anything they've run out of and keep doing it over and over and over.

The number of trips you make to the grocery store can cost you money because you are more likely to be tempted to buy things you don't need. All impulse purchases = wasted money. The fewer the trips the better. By just buying groceries only once or twice a week, you'll be saving money.

How often do you visit the grocery store?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I buy groceries weekly, but on the odd occasion I might run out of something I need then I might make an additional trip to the grocery store if it's something I truly do need. I find that usually I do need to go to the grocery store every week, having tried to go less, but I only really buy bigger items perhaps once a month. Things I consider to be bigger items include anything to do with laundry, toilet paper, kitchen paper and cleaning products generally. I find that by only buying those in one shop each month, I can avoid several aisles the rest of the month and subsequently save money.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Spot on Denis Hard - no doubt about it - the less often you shop the more money you'll save - in fact if looking to stretch the monthly budget and save on groceries - one of the best and most cost effective ways of doing that is to shop as infrequently as possible - as not only does shopping weekly, bi-weekly or monthly save a huge amount of time and money - especially in terms of fuel used - but as it frees up time - it gives more time to do other more enjoyable things.

As for me - although I have in the past always only ever shopped weekly - as I now live in the middle of nowhere and quite a considerable distance from the stores - I now tend to shop bi-weekly more often than not - particularly as what I save on fuel and parking by doing that - virtually pays for an entire weeks meals.

4. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I attempt to grocery shop two times per month. I used to only do one large grocery shopping trip per month, however, I found that this was not practical for our family's needs after our baby was born. I have found that the less often I go to the store, the less I spend on groceries. Shopping twice per month allows me to stay out of the stores and eliminate impulse buying for the most part, and it also fills our need to purchase fresh milk and produce midway through the month. Also, for many items, shopping twice per month gives me the freedom to decide that if something I need is not on sale at the time, I can choose to wait until later in the month when that item is hopefully on sale to purchase it.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I plan for shopping once a week or more to avoid the additional trips which can cost not just money but time also. I travel by bus or walk which takes longer than a person driving. Often I will do without the item just so I don't waste time.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I try to go only once or twice a month since I really do not like going to the grocery store. I try to stock up on things that are on sale and that I have coupons for. We do not go through a lot of milk or bread so I usually do not have to get those items before my usual trip. I try to use a list to keep me from buying things I do not need. Once in a while I may buy a treat for my family and I just for something different.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, @Denis Hard. We go once a week, usually at the weekend to ensure we're all stocked up for the week. Sometimes we do run out perishables, or they simply spoil because of this excessive heat we have to endure here. In that case I may have to go and replenish, but it's never more than once a week.

My father in law once told me when he was growing up, people had to buy groceries on a daily basis because not everyone could afford fridges. That would have knackered me out, but I guess it wasn't for them as they knew no different.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't buy things that I don't need, because when I go to the shops I make a list and stick to it. I never buy anything that is going to be wasted, and I eat a simple diet of cheap but tasty foods. I have cut my shopping bill hugely over the course of the past few months, and I am proud of that. I shop whenever I need it, because the supermarket is right near to where I go swimming twice a week, so I will just go there after I have been swimming, so therefore going more often doesn't use any more fuel than it would to go weekly or every fortnight.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only go to the grocery store when the need arises, so I think that's the best time to go to the grocery, right? But sometimes I just opt to buy at the nearer mini-stores if I only need an item or two instead of going to the much farther grocery store.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We go to the supermarket at least twice a month but sometimes it is 3 times depending on the need. That shopping is to replenish our food supplies like breakfast items and canned goods, kitchen needs like cooking oil, laundry needs, and some other grocery items. For the food like meat and fish, we seldom buy from the supermarket. We want fresh meat and fish so we go to the wet market everyday. Fortunately it just a kilometer away so it's all right to have a daily trip. Our utmose concern is the freshness of the food.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I do frequent trips, but when I do I buy in bulk. So when I need teabag I will buy 480 in one go, then I might buy chips/pizzas with their offers too. If you are walking I don't think it would cost that much more, although if you have to drive the fuel cost will certainly add up.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be more disciplined about doing my grocery shopping only twice a month, when I got paid. But that was back when I was younger and not earning as much, and was on a tighter budget, since I had rent and other expenses to take care of. Unfortunately, when I started getting promoted and making more money, I also got carried away with my spending at the grocery store and started buying stuff on impulse as needed, instead of sticking to a grocery list every two weeks. It also didn't help that I started watching Food Network a lot more and wanting to try out various recipes.

I've since gotten away from all that and have been trying to stick to a strict shopping list and going less to the grocery store. It really does save you a lot of money because it forces you to use up what you got and stick to your meal plan and grocery list. There are days now where I see some recipe and want to run out and buy a bunch of ingredients to try it out, but instead, I force myself to make something with what I got on hand instead. It's really not that bad, once you finally make yourself something to eat and your full - afterwards I'm glad that I didn't give into my impulses and glad I saved on that money I would have otherwise wasted.

For example, this evening I was totally in the mood to make a beef pot roast with the fixings, but instead I decided to use up the pork chops I had thawed in my fridge along with some frozen peppers and onions in my freezer to make grilled pork fajitas instead. I would have otherwise blown another $20 on the roast itself along with the fresh carrots and celery I needed to make the pot roast.

13. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy groceries like twice a week. I don't really like making food at home. I prefer going out and eating in more social places with some good friend of mine. I buy some bread, milk, Nesquick, Nutella, yohurts and water, of course.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We go once to a few times a week, depending on how we're eating. In the warmer months, we end up going quite a bit more, as every bite we take is fresh and they don't last long at all. Buying healthful foods saves money as it is and so does not being addicted to heavily processed foods, so we don't make impulse buys.. just grab what we need and leave quite easily. We're quite close to where we buy our food too, so no gas required unless it's cold or rainy.

15. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to give props to my Mom because I watched her in all she did to take care of us girls and her shopping habits were one that has remained with me to date. I only go to the store when I am aware there is a need usually once a month. On that trip I purchase those items that are needed but I do buy additional food items as well.

That was all before getting married to a chef who frequented grocery stores a few times a week for special meals. Food bills went up, keeping gas costs down was a pain and the kicker was he would cook enough for a family of five and hated eating leftovers.

So I have experienced both sides of the coin needless to say I would choose the former.

16. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Once a month for major supplies. And once a week for perishables, beer, and things that may have run out for some reason. Its not just the cost of visiting the store, its also the amount of time that gets wasted just browsing through things.

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I shop at least twice a week. I go to several stores. On Thursday when the flyers arrive I read them through and make my grocery list by what is one sale plus any staples that I need. I then will make at least two trips to the different grocery stores. I know I am spending more on gas but all my grocery stores are located near each other and savings I get outweigh the cost of gas. I have thought about price matching but only Walmart does that in my city and I'm really not a big fan of buying my groceries at Walmart. Parking at my Walmart is insane as are the checkout lines. I make a list and try my best to stick to it.

18. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I was one of those who purchased things as needed because there is a grocery store just a couple of miles up the road from my house. I had to stop this kind of shopping because it was costing me a lot of money. It is also one of those more expensive stores. Now I make a list of what I need and go to a grocery store that is further away. I really take the time to think if I really need something now before going.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ride the bus so it's not at all expensive, but you got to go often for we can't carry everything at once. I have a trolley dolly and it helps, but I got to carry it on and off the bus, so I got to watch what I buy. I'm a sale shopper and I watch Walgreens and CVS for their Sunday ads and we have a weekly supermarket ad like Safeway has that other local supermarkets got too, so it depends on what I need and what's on sale...love $5 Fridays at Safeway!!