How old is your home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Dec 21, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm partial to older built homes. Our home was built in 1923 and I love ever nook and cranny. I love to see where conversions had taken place example in the kitchen there is a firewall where a pipe stove (?) used to be and the unusual location of a closet underneath the staircase. The old ceiling light fixtures and the windows and sills all seem to be saying 'there is nothing like me.' How old is your home and what drew you to buy it?

2. PennySafe

PennySafeNew Member

Threads:
    My house is 7 years old now. I bought it when it was about 3 years old and I liked that it was a newer construction because I knew I wouldn't have to worry about a lot of repairs. I loved that it has a lot of space and that it was a blank slate--the previous owners didn't do anything as far as painting or remodeling, so whenever I decide to do home improvements there won't be a lot of prior work to worry about. It doesn't have a lot of 'character' but I like that I can make it my own.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    My last place was more than 50 years old. The good and bad part was that little as changed as far as the interior goes. When I went to look at it, I was hooked by the retro charm but after a while my ex and I found ourselves constantly needing to replace things. Too bad we didn't own it because the property owner was extremely cheap.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh my, I'm glad you asked this question because I rarely stop to think how many years I've lived in our home. We've been here since 2002 - approximately 12 years of residence. My parents bought it on mortgage to the detriment of our household income. I was in high school and barely out my tweens then. It almost drained everyone's spirits but fortunately, we've overcome such a difficult time in our lives and have now paid everything - home mortgage, real estate taxes and what have you. The house is situated on a hilly subdivision in the city proper but has a rural/provincial feel to it.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment, which is around 30 years old. The age is really starting to show as paints peel off, and leakages for rusty pipes start to show. As we're fond of the place we'll probably renovate instead of move into a newer house.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My home is very old. I can't exactly tell when it was built. My grandfather inherited it so either it's his dad or grandfather who'd either bought or built it. I doubt there have been any major renovations [done] because the house still looks ancient. But I like it that way.
    It's inherited. I got it because no one else in my family wanted to stay in the country . . . and be a farmer.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My home is as old as I am. It was made when I was 6 months old and most of it till the same. I think it has faced some amount of refurbishment but everything is almost the same. I totally love my house and think it is one of the best thing that has happened to me and my family.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The home where I live is around 10 years. It was newly built when we moved into this house and since we haven't had any renovation yet, and I see now that there's some sign of neglect and wearing out of this house by its users, well, by us. I think it's time now, or soon that we have to address this issue, otherwise, the damage might cause us to spend more money which is pretty bad.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is my daughters house and it is about 45 years old. We have been here 18 years. It does need some work like the garage doors need to be replaced due to termites eating them. It has been a good place to live.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I love old style colonial homes and farmhouses -- I actually live in a rather tiny apartment. My fiance and I are looking to relocate soon to a bigger house where there is more room for my family.