How Thrifty Are You?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by difrancprod • May 13, 2012.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I want to know how many of you here actually save first before buying a pair of jeans? What are your ways of saving or earning first before purchasing some expensive clothing?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I must be pretty thrifty because it is extremely rare that I buy expensive clothing! The last time I remeber spending over $75 for something was years ago and it was for a funeral. It was taking place in winter and I needed a coat for the portion that was to take place outdoors at the cemetary. I purchased a black, full length, furry lined swede leather coat. I actually got it on sale at Sears for $89. I'd say that was pretty thrifty!

3. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I buy all my clothes at the discount store, thrift store, or off the clearance rack so I guess that could be considered thrifty! I've never saved up to buy any clothing items. I was thinking about putting aside a certain amount of money aside for each season, and then using that "fund" to buy seasonal clothes, coats, shoes, etc. I might consider doing that in the future.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I basically only buy what I need, when I need it...but only if I can afford it. So, I focus on pushing up my earnings, paying myself first...then into my bills etc and also some into my clothing account etc. If I do not have over to buy - I don't. It has become pretty simple for me.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even save up to buy my wedding dress. It cost me $15, marked down from $20 because there was a small hole in it. I put a broach over the hole.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Lol! Will you be my new best friend?? That's awesome. <3

And no, I don't save up, because I don't buy expensive clothes either. Jeans are only an "expensive" item to me because I often have to spend a dollar or two on them at yard sales and thrift stores instead of the quarter or 50 cents that I do on shirts, lol.

7. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I buy as much as I can from yard sales and thrift stores, but I'm a tall woman, so I usually end up buying my jeans new, because tall people don't get rid of their jeans until they disintegrate. :cool:

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh! Yeah, that rather sucks. I definitely know what you're talking about, though. It's kind of like plus sized clothing as well. It's really rare to find any at yard sales because women who wear them often continue to wear them until they fall apart. They're so expensive!

You might still find some luck on Ebay, though, Hickory. It'll still be more expensive than yard sales, but not as bad as having to buy brand new.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind spending either a lot or too little on clothes. If it's something I won't use that much, then I definitely won't pay much for. If it's something I expect to wear for years, and seems worth it, I cover the price tag with my thumb and buy it :p

10. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I'm a weird, petite apple-ish shape so the only thing I can't buy secondhand is jeans. The ones I do buy new are $40-$50 depending on sales, so it's not too bad, but once I have them I wear them forever. In fact, I haven't bought a new pair in 3 years because I haven't needed them. I'm careful with my clothes so they last a long time. In fact, I have a cardigan sweater from the mid 1980s that is still in perfect condition that my 21 year old daughter has now adopted and wears a lot.

Value Village, Goodwill, used/consignment stores, thrift stores - love 'em all and that's where I shop. But, my daughter works for Banana Republic and gets a discount to all Gap owned stores, so I do have her buy Old Navy t-shirts for me. With the discount and when they're on sale, it's as cheap as used but brand new. And Payless for shoes. I'm still looking for that perfect pair of pre-owned broken in cowboy boots though... :)

11. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Sighs. I wish jeans were less expensive where I live. Back in Malaysia, they are affordable, even the branded ones. I bought two pairs of jeans which were $30 each, and they have lasted over 5 years!! I think when it comes to jeans, I'll buy them when I'm visiting family and friends back home. With things being very expensive, these days, I need to watch what I buy! :D

12. derekb0147

derekb0147New Member

Threads:
    I find that when I want to look nice in some suit pants and a button down shirt, the best, and only place to go is the local Good Will.
    Thought I almost never find a pair of blue jeans that fits me, I always find some slacks, button downs, and t-shirts. For less than what most people will spend on a single pair of shorts at the nearby mall (at say, American Eagle) I can walk out of the doors of the Good Will, wash what I just bought, and look like a million bucks for weeks. (Some people even ask me how I can afford so many pairs of nice pants and so many nice shirts)
    I find that going 2 times a week, buying what I am short on and passing on what I am not, has made me one of the thriftiest people I know! I have even found some leather boots that had to be $100 new (rounded down), for $7 (rounded up).

13. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not thrifty. I can go out on a spending spree now and again and then I buy books which I'm reluctant to pass on, but I do try to squeeze the last drop of nourishment out of a chicken. Ends up as soup usually - and that's after the curry!

What good is money if we can't spend it to be a little more comfortable instead of planning our entire day doing things to save a few coins?

14. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Very thrifty for me! I don't see why so many people my age want new and "trendy" clothes every other week! I keep my what 6 pairs of jeans for at least 2 years and I always check prices, clearance piles, and sales to get the most out of my money. And I only ever buy what I need/what I've wanted for months. And that's almost never on clothing!

15. pizzaz007

pizzaz007New Member

Threads:
    I have my own method for buying new clothes, jeans or etc things. First of all I try my best to achieve the earning required for my needs, then I purchase I required things. I think this is a better way to control your budget. Be in limits with your budgets and you will live happy forever. What is yours opinion?

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You're better at this than I am, haha!

I have to buy expensive jeans because inexpensive ones never fit right, and I'll end up spending way too much altering them. I've been known to spend as much as fifty or sixty dollars on a pair of jeans, and the occasional five or ten for repairs, because I'm going to keep that pair of jeans for as long as they still fit me, or until they completely disintegrate. Fifty or sixty isn't much to spend on a pair of jeans you're going to keep wearing for that long. On the flip side, if I spend $20 on a pair, I'll have to buy another one in a year anyway.

17. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I'm actually extremely thrifty. When I know I can save, I do. And even when I see a sale, I thumb around anyone to see if I can grab stuff for less.

18. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy clothes unless I need it. When I do go shopping I go to thirft stores, clearance isles, and discount stores. I always try to get the best price. I used to shop all the time when I worked but since becoming a stay at home mom, I've learned to only buy what is needed and to try to conserve money. I don't remember the last I've even purchased an expensive piece of clothing or shoes. I think $20 is the most I would spend for a pair of pants or shoes.

19. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    "I want to know how many of you here actually save first before buying a pair of jeans? What are your ways of saving or earning first before purchasing some expensive clothing?"

Oh, I'm glad you asked such a question! I always love to discuss prudence. I save a certain amount each month and if I head to a store and I see something I like I tend to stand in front of the product, think about it for 10 minutes and then avoid purchasing the item. The cost of that item I put into my savings account. Also, if I meet my savings standards and I have some leftover cash then I will purchase something.

However, most of my clothing purchases occur twice a year: early autumn and early spring.

20. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I refuse to use the word "thrifty," to describe myself. It's a word that I find people use instead of just being truthful and admitting that they are cheap. I'm not a cheap person. I've had moments of cheapness, but if I believe that it is worth it, I'll spend the money for it. You end up spending more money buying "discount" items over and over again versus just putting down the money to buy something of quality from the beginning.